Restoring my 1971 Pinzgauer 710 M - Questions/Advise, Please - Page 5

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 ... LastLast

Default Re: Restoring my 1971 Pinzgauer 710 M - Questions/Advise, Please

mooi Petri. Geniet.
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Awesome - remember the forum rules, re pic's. (those at the beginning of the thread do not count )

Congrats Petri!

And I agree photos!!

Regards
    Kevin

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Baie netjies!! Nou is ek skoon jaloers
    Waar is die fotos? Dis al donker! Kom huistoe!

Flip
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    Awesome - remember the forum rules, re pic's. (those at the beginning of the thread do not count )
    The rules were upgraded for this thread, the new rule is now photos and videos!

+1 on what the boss wrote!

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

Wow.

Went home with the Pinz, and took a little detour, very bad stretch of road with some sandstone steps. The ride is unbelievable. Going over heavy ruts in the gravel, you feel NOTHING. Feels like a soft air suspension. 4WD also works 100% over those sandstone steps and on wet grass. I haven't tested the lockers, but sure they also work.
    Also took the Blonde and the 2 younger kids around the plasie for a quick spin.....once again, that soft ride has to be experienced to believe.
    LHD needs getting used to, I found myself driving on the right hand side of the road, I must remember that the left wheel is INSIDE the "cab", right under my linkerboud.

Further detail:

1) Steering is 110%, no play. Actually nice handling on tar, I did around 60 km/h with it. Steering is surprisingly light, Power Steering would have been overkill. Even turning on tar at slow speeds is not a hassle.
    2) All controls work - hazards, lights, indicators, etc etc. The spot lights on the roof must also be original because there is a light coming on on the dash when I switch them on. VERY cool stuff. Fan also works.
    3) Gear shift is very Beetle - like, VERY positive and easy. 1st is a crawl gear, so 2nd is a nice gear to pull away in in traffic.
    4) Engine sounds solid, starts with a touch of the button, and revs surprisingly freely....very "brisk" engine with those 2 double barrel Zeniths!! Very torquey engine.
    5) My biggest surprise?? The Pinz has almost no rattles, even on that gravel road. Unbelievable. No rattling doors/windows/steering columns - like in NONE.

Issues picked up so far:

1) Engine idles a tad high, I'd very much like to know how to set idling lower on those carbs.
    2) Quite a strong fuel smell in the cab. What can that be??
    3) Engine pulls OK, but has a stutter - I''ll change the plugs tomorrow, and the fuel filter, and see what's what with the air filter. What else should I do?? Should I spray a can of Carb Cleaner down those Zeniths, or rather not??
    4) Engine throws a black smoke under acceleration - not major, but there. I guess I should keep in mind that the engine has stood quite some time, and still needs a good tune up as in (3) above.
    5) There is a whining sound in 4th/5th gear, but actually a "healthy" whine. There is, however, a "grinding" sound at the rear when it pulls heavily in 3d/4th gear.....not major, actually very "involving" sound, but I dunno if it's normal.

I'm COMPLETELY over the moon with this unique 4x4.....cant WAIT to drive it again tomorrow!!!!!
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The rules were upgraded for this thread, the new rule is now photos and videos!

Yes yes!!
    Flip

Forgot to add - brakes are also 110%, feels VERY solid and safe. When stopping on an incline though, I got a hell of a fright, they're not as good going backwards!! But small stuff to be sorted.

Clutch also 110%....light, easy, no funny sounds/shudders, nothing.

You stumbled on a Gem!

Flip
    Flip

I really am extremely happy with this buy Flip. It has surprised me big time in only about 10 km of driving, I think the 2 biggest surprises being that unbelievable suspension and, even more amazing, the fact that it is a very VERY solid ride with minimal rattles - something I NEVER expected.
    May I also now confess......it's in my nature, I always want to get thing done yesterday....

This morning, I took my driver Frank to have the oil drained, new oil put in, plugs changed, fuel tank drained (the petrol had an "old" smell to it).
    Well, long story short. I took 2 batteries just to "sien of die dingetjie start". And start the dingetjie sure did.
    If it runs like this with old fuel, old oil, old plugs and old filters, I really can't wait for tomorrow after Frank changed everything.
    Yes yes, I took a chance, a big one, starting the Pinz like that. Maar ek was al weer haastig. Luckily, Lady Luck was on my side.

I sell cars for a living, but sometimes, once in a while, something special just comes knocking at my door - not a Diablo or a Modena or a GW 55 AMG - something like an immaculate 1967 Peugeot 404. or a 1957 Ford Squire, or a 1973 Ford Capri Perana, or this - a 1971 Steyr Pinzgauer. It really gives me immense pleasure.
    Thanks - again - to Eben, Oom Guy and Woolf who put me onto this, to the late previous owner's wife who sold this to me at that price, and to all the VERY helpful info on this thread, especially Kevin's.
    I promise PROMISE that I'll actually go and do what you advise me to from now on.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2016/05/11 at 09:46 PM.

Hi Petri

You have got a gem there!!! Rattles and canopy noise is part and parcel of the Steyr Puch experience. So congrats on finding a rare quiet one!!

I am very glad I didn't have to eat my words about it running fine! Haha!

The brakes are drums, and not the greatest by design, the moment you go through water or mud, you might notice them pulling a little. They are vacuum assisted, but I'd guess after standing there might be a little hydraulic fluid on the shoes. Just a word about the brake cylinders, the slave cylinders are chrome plated inside (from the factory) so they should be no pitting, when you replace the seals you must not hone the cylinders out, just clean them otherwise you'll take off the chrome and damage them.

Yours really does sound fantastic and in great condition!!

What tyres do you have on it? I was surprised to read about the light steering, that was actually one of my complaints with them, that the steering is a fair bit heavy. Although it could be the tyres or you are very lucky!!

I am glad all the electrics are working! The fan should also have a leaver (right of the dash) which switches it from a demister to direct the air onto you, a life saver in the heat. Also your doors are half doors, if you remove the door handle and I thing two other screws, the top half of the door will pop off. Very nice when it's hot.

I haven't seen the top spotlights before and didn't know about them, but I guess you learn something new, that is really cool! And fantastic that the work!

You are right about the engine, it's a great design lots of torque but revs nicely. It's a lovely drive! You are also correct about the 1st and 2nd gear, it functions the same as the 5 speed Haflingers where 1st is a crawler or for heavy loads on hills. I can't remember the towing capacity off road but I seem to recall it was a ridiculous number.

The fuel smell is common, normally it's caused by a slightly worn top gasket (or too high a float level) basically a leaking carb. Remember the carbs are right under your nose so to speak. Although before I would even suggest looking at that, are you running old fuel?

I don't know the reason, but on the Haflinger and Pinz, if your fuel is old you seem to get an odd fuel smell. Might be my imagination to! But I'd suggest running the old fuel through and putting new petrol in, see if that takes the smell away.

Regarding the black smoke, that's an indication of an accelerator pump adjustment that is too high, but like you suggested perhaps service it first and get new plugs and fuel in it first. If the fuel is old you might not be getting complete burn hence the black smoke.

Silly question, your air cleaner, does it have a hose running to a heat exchanger (similar to a beetle)? Make sure this is closed in South Africa you don't need warm air to the carb from the exhaust, the later versions had an automatic switch but just check. Your hot air for the cab also comes from this.

Looking at the Zeniths from the driver's side there is a size 10mm bolt (or 8mm, my memory is a little rusty) holding a square cover with OBEN on the top, remove that and you'll see 4 jets, you can clean that out. Top are your idles bottoms are your mains. Swiss should have 125 mains and 55 idles, the topical and 6x6 versions have 140/60. The Zenith is a tight float chamber carb (I think that's the term), you will notice if you go up or down a steep bank and stop at the bottom, despite the angle the engine will carry on idling perfectly. It won't flood or run lean, like many other carbs, if it does your float level is wrong. When set up right nothing beats it, but setting it up... is hell!

The idling isn't easy to set unfortunately, there are two screws on the passenger side of the carb at the bottom where the linkages connect to, screwing in increases rpm out decreases, what you do to one you must do to the other, the problem is when adjusting idle you should set fuel mixture and sync the carbs at the same time. And of course timing and valves should be checked before that. Maybe you have an adjustment on your linkage that's out. But normally, you'd unhook the linkage and set idle fuel mix and idle at the same time, syncing the carbs. I should mention though a Pinz should idle quite high about 850 - 950 rpm, you need to keep that fan turning and cooling the oil.

As for the stutter, good luck curing that! I am not sure how. Many of them have it, most owners I've spoken to blame it on the Military ignition, but you can check your accelerator pump and maybe have it fire earlier. Personally I just set the timing slightly higher with the upper end of 950rpm idle. It's like it dies for half a second and then springs to life. If you find an proper fix please let me know!

Regarding the `whine' it's a common issue, firstly check your fluid level in the rear diff. There are three Allen keys on the side and bottom of the diff. The bottom one is the drain plug, the middle one (passenger side, closer to the front just below the boot) is the inspection one and the top one (closer to the back on the side) is the filler, basically open middle and top, pour into top until it just flows out of the second. Then it's fill. The gearbox is similar but has a middle banjo bolt.

The whine is very common as I said, someone once told me it's because of the tooling used to cut the differential gears, they are straight cut and are noisy. However there is also little to no noise damping, and the gearbox mounting has a small metal pin in a tube connected to the body, this little pin floats in the tube and when you put the engine under load it typically gets pressed against the body and acts like a metal amplifier to all those gear noises, I've heard you can wrap it with tape or a little hose and it stops the noise. That pin is there in case the gearbox mounting fails, it is designed to take the load of the gearbox and prevent a potential catastrophic failure.

The `grind/grumble' I think relates to the above and remember your sideshafts linked to your crownwheels you rotating round your pinion shaft, it creates unique harmonics. Try putting some weight in the back and see? Pinzgauers are not quiet, they are loud machines, at 80kmph a conversation might be a little louder than in a VW Polo.

Enjoy your machine, it sounds like you have a true gem of one. The Swiss army took exceptional care of them, but they've been out of commission since the late 80s and 90s when they were auctioned off, and you never know the abuse they suffer in that time. Sounds like the previous owner loved it rather than abused it!

Regards
    Kevin

PS: Left Hand Drive is a pain hey! I bet you hit the door a few times trying to change gear, and looked to the left for the rear view mirror?

Kevin thanks, your inputs are VERY much appreciated here.

Pinzie did'nt want to start this morning. Huffed and puffed, but no cigar. I'll go drip some juice down her throats later today, like I did yesterday.

Might be fuel, I'm not sure if the fuel gauge works 100% - it shows almost empty anyways.

I had the same hassle yesterday, it's as if fuel does'nt come through; if it starts though it's fine.

How does the fuel pump work, mechanical, and what can I check there?? I'm 99% sure that's the hassle.

Anyway, now is a good time to fill her up with fresh petrol, and change the plugs and all other filters etc etc that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
    (or 8mm, my memory is a little rusty)
    After the posts on this thread?!? Wow...I don't even own a Pinz and I'm reading every single word....your knowledge on these is awesome!

Enjoy this Petri. Would love to get my hands on one of these.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Petri, do you maybe know anybody there in your valley that owns a little digital camera?

Even as a non-technical guy, this thread is fast becoming my favourite.

Petri, listen to Dirk and shower us with some photies, please. Kevin, thanks also for your input, fascinating stuff.

OK
    Pinzie started again, after 'n helse gesukkel and dripping petrol down the carb. Idles roughly at first, and then all of a sudden it is SO smooth, revs happily.
    Gonna spray a can of Carb Cleaner down its throats.........I am a used car dealer after all, we just LOVE those stuff.
    Although I think it must be something with a fuel pump. It starts at a touch when warmed up. I think after it stood last night, the petrol "drained" back out of the carbs, and when I crank it in the morning somehow the fuel does'nt get to the carbs. Just my logic...........??
    Will get the camera and the Pinzie together some time. Ek kan hierdie geneul oor "pics please" ook nou net nie meer hanteer nie.

By the way Kevin, I put in new fuel, from the farmpie to here DEFINITELY almost no fuel smell. You were right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    OK
    Pinzie started again, after 'n helse gesukkel and dripping petrol down the carb. Idles roughly at first, and then all of a sudden it is SO smooth, revs happily.
    Gonna spray a can of Carb Cleaner down its throats.........I am a used car dealer after all, we just LOVE those stuff.
    Although I think it must be something with a fuel pump. It starts at a touch when warmed up. I think after it stood last night, the petrol "drained" back out of the carbs, and when I crank it in the morning somehow the fuel does'nt get to the carbs. Just my logic...........??
    Will get the camera and the Pinzie together some time. Ek kan hierdie geneul oor "pics please" ook nou net nie meer hanteer nie.

By the way Kevin, I put in new fuel, from the farmpie to here DEFINITELY almost no fuel smell. You were right!!!
    Hi Petri

I am glad I can help.

Haha glad the old fuel hunch was right, I still don't know why it happens, but maybe it's nature's way of saying you aren't driving enough. Lol.

The pump is a mechanical one, they seldom give issues, but like all diaphragm pumps can crack and stop working. There are kits available luckily. I'd recommend a backup electric fuel pump on a toggle switch. Helps prime the carbs before starting.

One simple thing to check, assuming there is petrol in the tank and the gauge isn't faulty, is to check the fuel hose is tight on all the fittings. If it's 8mm hose it might be a little too big for the fittings, nothing a hose clamp can't fix, but it there is a lose pipe it can suck air, which makes it very very hard for the pump, and obviously can't fill the carbs. I once had this happen to me, took me 3 months of weekends to discover it!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Some pictjas........they're busy scrubbing it, so I just took some of the interior.

Tell me if it gets too much!!

Attached are pics of the dash layout, 4WD controls, the cubby hole etc etc...........I cleaned it up a bit, and removed the HL jack etc etc hanging on that "grid".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070973.JPG 
Views:	469 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	402441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070974.JPG 
Views:	458 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	402442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070975.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	402443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070976.JPG 
Views:	396 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	402444  

Rear layout.....this is VERY nice and well thought out.

1) The 2 rear benches are only "half", but nice, I actually like the extra space at the rearmost.
    2) I kept the water tank that the previous owner left at the right rear for the time being.
    3) There are 3 huge storage boxes behind the front seats. The left one is a VERY nice foam-filled cooler box that the owner must have made himself.
    4) You can flip down the 2 rear benches to make a solid flat surface.
    5) I got a lot of original canvas covers with - some are "Right", "Left", "Rear", etc etc - all marked in German and French. I'll sort that out later.
    6) The pic of the white "grid cover"is where the original spots' wires seem to get protected I guess - not sure.

The cancas on the truck is in as new condition inside and out - just dirty. Will post some "clean" pics later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070972.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	402445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070971.JPG 
Views:	338 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	402446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070970.JPG 
Views:	328 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	402447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070969.JPG 
Views:	321 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	402448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070968.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	402449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070967.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	402450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070966.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	402451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070980.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	402452  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070979.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	402453  

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 ... LastLast