Restoring my 1971 Pinzgauer 710 M - Questions/Advise, Please - Page 3

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 ... LastLast

Default Re: Restoring my 1971 Pinzgauer 710 M - Questions/Advise, Please

...and to all of you worrying about water leaks and such. It is aircooled

I tink the peak torque at 4 kph means its got seriaas lowrange, and possibly peak torque at 2500 rpm or so.

With less than 50k km on, it should outlive you!

BTW, the Steyr is old enough to register as LHD, but I think it meeds to be on the traffic register before the cutoff date, i.e. it must have been registered in RSA prior to the 2001 ( or whenever) cutoff date.

Exceptions can be made, e.g. Construction and Agricultural equipment. All Liebherr cranes are LHD...... So, it can be done, if you are persistent and patient enough.

Enjoy. I am green with envy!

Oom Petri, there is a big bolt holding the crank pulley to the crank. You can turn the engine with this bolt, possibly by hand with the fan belt if the plugs are out or with the wheel as suggested.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

Thanks again to everyone.

So tomorrow....:

1) Take cooler bag with Monkey Shoulder and plenty ice.
    2) Pour a stiff one and sip away while oogling Pinz.
    3) Connect batteries
    4) Pour another one and pack away the HL jack. Oogle Pinz again.
    5) Stand well clear, at least 15 metres. Pour another one.
    6) Ask wife to start.
    7) Decide what to do with what's left of Monkey Shoulder and/or Pinz and/or wife
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Thanks again to everyone.

So tomorrow....:

1) Take cooler bag with Monkey Shoulder and plenty ice.
    2) Pour a stiff one and sip away while oogling Pinz.
    3) Connect batteries
    4) Pour another one and pack away the HL jack. Oogle Pinz again.
    5) Stand well clear, at least 15 metres. Pour another one.
    6) Ask wife to start.
    7) Decide what to do with what's left of Monkey Shoulder and/or Pinz and/or wife
    Well you can always take my Swambo she is cheap to maintain and still have original parts

....you bragging or complaining Smarty....??

Found LOTS of info on the Pinz on YouTube, especially on the controls.

The red knob behind the driver's seat is the batteries' cut - off switch.

Under the driver's seat there's a very cool hand - controlled throttle switch, and next to it the Choke that you must pull - called the "Starter" on the metallic label. Seems like the Austrians are also not lekker with British labels - like their Jap brothers.

I read on the Net - everywhere - that the difflocks can be engaged "on the fly".......but how is that possible.........

The difflocks on the fly means the selector will apply pressure on the diff innards and when they are aligned, it will engage the lock.
    To disengage, select difflock off and as soon as the innards are unloaded the reverse happens, it may not be immediately on selection, but if you are on a firm surface with no slippage, simply lifting off the gas briefly with the wheel straight ahead will allow disengaging.

Op registrasie van LHD voertuie, vir normale registrasie, mag die voertuig nie nuwer wees as 2001, en moet dit eerste keer op ons stelsel wees nie later as 2004.

Daar is uitsonderings vir colector items ens ens. Joune kwalifiseer def as colector item. En jy is in motor trade, probeer dit so deur druk...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Hmmm....ja wat Reenen, die registrasiepapiere is alles nog Zimbabwe - BAIE volledig, tot die diensrekords ens ens, Letter of Purchase, alles is daar. Die dingetjie se Zim disc was nog in 2014 geldig.
    Maar hy was nooit in SA geregistreer (dink ek) nie.
    Major issue om hom hier te registreer - Trade and Industry, SABS, ens ens ens.
    My pel se ma Tannie Maryna bly in Zim, sy kan die disc op datum gaan betaal elke jaar....weet nie of dit gaan help nie, maar die disc sal darem valid wys.
    Ons sal die dingetjie maar meestal "local" gebruik, hier rond is dit nie issue nie. Maar ek sal hom dalk wil verder vat, bv op 'n trailer Roof of Africa toe.
    Ek het darem "trade plates" wat ek kan gebruik - nie 100% oplossing nie, maar 99%.
    Daar is ander shortcuts, maar ja, mens moet maar versigtig wees, nie net met owerhede nie, maar ook oppas om nie die dingetjie se papierwerk heeltemal op te neuk nie.
    Ek het darem die spaarwiel nou opgekry - HELSE job, die ding het mos nie 'n chassis met sterk lifting points nie. Nogal cool gewees toe hy opgejack is - die voorwiele hang "los" met daai portal axles, al wat hulle stop is twee straps. BAIE BAIE well designed voertuig die!!!
    So bietjie onder ingekruip - alles lyk BAIE skoon, daar is nie eens scrape ens ens van klippe nie. Enigste foutjie is die agterste drive shaft gaiter is stukkend, maar kan nie issue wees nie.
    Die (oorlede) Oom wat hom gehad het het ook hele boks parte in een kis gehad - ek sien dis maar normale service parts. Gewone Bosch plugs, selfs die fan belt is 'n gewone Goodyear Gator van Autozone (part nommer is PPZ something).
    BAIE lus om batterye te Koppel en te prober start, maar ek gaan hom eerder na my pel by Bosch toe vat dat hy alles sommer 100% mooi check. 'n Haastige ou wie se gat jeuk en NIKS van 'n enjin af weet nie, moet dalk eerder wegbly van 'n non running Pinzgauer af op 'n Sondag

Seker veiliger...

Ek sou natuurlik hom wou start...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Seker veiliger...

Ek sou natuurlik hom wou start...
    Reenen al was hy onderstebo sou jy hom nog wou start net nadat jy hom terug op sy wiele amper het.
    2009 Triton V6 3500 DC
    2007 Disco 3 V8 SE
    1999 Pajero V6 3500 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by theunsb View Post
    Reenen al was hy onder water vir 'n week in 'n rivier sou jy hom nog wou start net nadat jy hom terug op sy wiele amper het.
    reggemaak vir jou
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Hi Petri

That Pinz is in very good condition.

Regarding the oil, a Pinzgauer is happy to use standard 20w50 multigrade oil (mineral oil), however do not use GL5 gear oil in the gearbox, the GL5 spec oil will destroy the synco-rings, stick to GL4 oils for the gearbox/transfer case and hubs.

Before starting, I'd crank it over a few times without the plugs, once the oil light is off, then insert plugs and give it a whirl, these are very tough engines, and generally will run on slightly older fuel.

The `Choke' on a Zenith carb is actually a smaller, richer running carburetor built onto the side of the main body of the carburetor. There is no choke butterfly like in normal carburetors. I'd definitely use it on first attempt.

The original Pinzgauer design needed to be NATO compliant hence the 24v, it appears yours is a Swiss army version although the Austrian army also used them. The Swiss version had a unique fuse system located on the dashboard, buttons running downward on the right side of the steering wheel, these buttons were effectively reset buttons for the fuses. The fuses aren't traditional car fuses (although the Haflinger and Austrian Pinzgauers used fuses), they act more like house trip switches and were designed to be pushed back while driving. Just check that your 4 idle solenoids on your carbs are working often the wire comes off and trips the fuse.

The military ignition was a waterproofed 24v system with screw in connections to the spark plugs. The distributor cap was contained within a steal covering with screw in HT connectors. Despite the official 700mm wading depth the vehicle is capable of much more, all differentials are sealed without breathers and the ignition system too. Most convert it to a civilian ignition (Bosch cap), and a 12v coil. The military plugs are pricey.

Regarding the diff lock system, the differentials in a Pinzgauer are very unique, each differential has two crown wheels with each side shaft attached to a crown wheel, the crown wheels articulate over the pinion shaft with the spider gears located closer the the back of the differential, there is a pin in the differential limiting upward movement and braided steel limiting straps limiting downward movement, what makes the differential more unique is that by the spider gears there is an output shaft which has a dog collar on it. When a difflock lever is activated an hydraulic plunger locks the dogs collar which slides over the shaft thus locking the spider gears and obtaining a `locked differential' and output shaft itself goes to a handbrake system on yours, and on the 6x6 to it's second differential and finally a handbrake system.

The 4x4 system works in a similar way, thus in the case of the 4x4 system (which is a part time system and must not be used on the roads) as long as the front and back wheels are turning at the same speed you can engage 4x4 at up to the vehicles maximum speed of 104kmph. The same applies to the difflocks, as long as both left and right wheels are turning at the same speed you can engage them at any speed. Typically though you normally are stopped when engaging difflocks because you got stuck!

One final piece is the transfer case, it has synchromesh, you can shift from low range to high range on the fly and back again. Although you must make sure you are in a correct gear if you shift from high to low. 3H would be 4 or 5L for example. Also, as with the Haflinger 1st gear (across to the left and down) is a crawler gear, typically in town you pull off in 2nd.

Good luck with your Pinz (and I hope you manage to register it!) they are fantastic vehicles, which are very well engineered. The only other concern are those Zeniths they can be nasty to tune, but that's a story for another day.

Kind regards
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
    Hi Petri

That Pinz is in very good condition.

Good luck with your Pinz (and I hope you manage to register it!) they are fantastic vehicles, which are very well engineered. The only other concern are those Zeniths they can be nasty to tune, but that's a story for another day.

Kind regards
    Kevin
    I suspect Petri just found a new best friend!

This thread made me waste an hour on youtube today!
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Kevin - THANKS!!!

Jan, ek het al 3 keer oor die naweek data vir die MTN stokkie op die plaas gekoop soos ek die goetertjies uitkyk.

Nou Ja Petri, ek hoop jy het hope goeie tye met die nuwe maatjie

Klink darem of jy heel happy is met die koop, so ek lieg darem nie te groot nie

Daar was blykbaar twee baterry in ...... Denice het hulle gebruik om van die ander karre in die jaard aan die gang te kry. Sorry het nie dit geweet nie.

Maklikste manier om uit te vind of dit 24V is om te kyk hoe die kabels in die battery compartement aan mekaar gesit is.

As ek eendag verby jou wereld ry gaan ek aankolp vir koffie!

Groete,
    EbenH.
    '47 CJ2a
    '52 80"
    '67 109" sw 2.6
    '76 101"
    '97 100" Tdi
    '00 108" (Now flying again)
    100" 4.6 Hybrid SIIa (in limbo)
    100" 300Tdi Hybrid R6 (in progress)
    110" 3.0 Isuzu Hybrid SII (daily)

I did a bit of research on these vehicles about a year ago when I came across someone wanting to sell one..

Apparently BAE Systems (a South African arms manufacturer) bought the rights to the Pinzgauer and had plans to build the Pinzgauer 2... but it seems nothing ever came of that

Quote Originally Posted by customrv View Post
    Nou Ja Petri, ek hoop jy het hope goeie tye met die nuwe maatjie

Klink darem of jy heel happy is met die koop, so ek lieg darem nie te groot nie

Daar was blykbaar twee baterry in ...... Denice het hulle gebruik om van die ander karre in die jaard aan die gang te kry. Sorry het nie dit geweet nie.

Maklikste manier om uit te vind of dit 24V is om te kyk hoe die kabels in die battery compartement aan mekaar gesit is.

As ek eendag verby jou wereld ry gaan ek aankolp vir koffie!

Groete,
    EbenH.
    Eben, ek skuld jou BIG time op hierdie Pinz!!

Guys, Eben is the person who has facilitated the deal for me, he went and took pics, waited the whole day for the rollback to arrive and help load it, and described the Pinz 200% correct to me, as I bought it over the phone.
    Eben, once again and again THANKS, the Pinz is in far better nick than I actually expected. Best wishes to the family, it was with a tad of sadness that I actually unpacked all the odds and ends of the previos owner.
    Jy is baie BAIE welkom om vir my te kom hallo se in Bethlehem - ASB!!!

Hi, lovely vehicle. I see from your pics that the brake master cylinder and booster is from a 70's Mercedes 280, so presumably the foundation brakes will be similar. If you have any problems with the brake system, give me a shout. Otherwise enjoy her.

Sparked by this thread, I did some searching on the internet. Very interesting differential set up that!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Ek sien jy verwys na die Pinz as "Die Dingetjie". Petri "Dingetjie" is Dynamite!!!
    Regards,

Guy Boardman - ZR5 GB
    Slowly f-arkling a Suzuki Grand Vitara Auto - 40mm lift + Steel undies from Trevor
    • Land Rover Series 2A - 1973 - 1980
    • Land Rover Series 2 - 1979 -1982
    • Toyota Hi-Lux 4x4 - 1982 -1989
    • Land Cruiser FJ43 - 1992 - 2008
    • Land Cruiser 80 series - 2008 - 2015
    • Suzuki Jimny - 2014 - 2015
    • Suzuki GV - 2015 - ^

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 ... LastLast