Weber Q gas braai - Page 7

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default Re: Weber Q gas braai

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post
    Our Q1200 has a permanent spot on the trailer draw bar. Chose the 1200 over the 1000 as we bake bread in them also.
    Attachment 467449

Attachment 467450
    Hi...

Love your setup. If I may ask a few questions.

How do you "fix" it to the drawbar and stop all the grids and lid from rattling around?
    And where can I buy one of those roasting pans that you have there.

Weber has discontinued their product
    _______________________________________Dum vivimus, vivamus!With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Default Weber Q gas braai

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    How do you "fix" it to the drawbar and stop all the grids and lid from rattling around?
    And where can I buy one of those roasting pans that you have
    Hi Hedgehog. I cut a piece of MDF as a platform with a couple of strategic 20mm holes drilled in order to then put a rope or strap over. The roasting pan underneath the bread pan came with my gas stove, so not sure where you would be able to one loose. I use to use just a bit of tinfoil with two teaspoons on top and then the bread on top of that. All you need is a slight gap to prevent the bread sitting on direct heat.

Here is another photo with the strap on..... ready for travel.
    Last edited by jdjoubert; 2017/11/14 at 07:43 AM.
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard101 View Post
    Een van my uitdaagings as ek tetug is by die huis is om daai biscuits vd Amerikaners te probeer maak.

Dankie 100, ek sal een bestel by die huis.
    n Amerikaanse biscuit soos hulle dit in die Deep South noem is n gewone skon. Dis dieselfde mengsel: twee koppies meel, teelepel sout, vier teelepels bakpoeier, een koppie buttermilk en dan lard (skaapvet werk) in plaas van botter of olie. Meng droe bstandele goed en gooi dan resnin en meng liggies - moenie oormeng nie, dan word hulle swaar. Bak op n plaat in n oond by 180 grade C of op die kole in n swart platboom pot, of is dit nou n platboom swart pot? . Omtrent 20 tot dertig minute sal voldoende wees. Die gravywaarvan hulle hou is gewone witsous maar weer met lard gemaak eerder as met botter. Party streke gebruik melk as vloeistof en in ander streke gebruik hulle die drippings (sous) wat uit n roast kom. Hoop dit help - geniet dit, maar moenie te veel daarvan eet nie - dit maak jou mal en blind genoeg om te dink Donald Trump is n great president en om nie sy foute raak te sien nie!

My experience with baking bread in the Q 1200 is that one needs to raise the bread pan a little above the grid. I use a Weber trivet, which is nothing other than an expensive cooling rack your wife use to cool a freshly baked cake on. To facilitate indirect heat a piece of foil goes under the trivet and I then place the bread pan in a foil bowl (R 7.50 at the plastics shop and it gets used over and over), and bake the bread at 180 degrees for 60 minutes.

We cart our Q 1200 in the Fortuner, tied down with bungee cords, without anything inside. To avoid a rattling noise the grids, trivet, fish grid, pizza stone, breakfast plate, egg rings and veggies basket travels in a purpose made bag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7638.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	467616
    Last edited by Poen; 2017/11/15 at 07:35 PM.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Read earlier in the thread about the terracotta tile, think I must try that.
    Managed to get an unsealed terracotta tile, now to get hold of a tile cutter, need to trim it slightly to fit.

Managed to get an unsealed terracotta tile, now to get hold of a tile cutter, need to trim it slightly to fit.
    Now you must learn to make sourdough breads,sourdough makes lekke pizza especially the crust. Secret to making pizza on a stone is to make the base as thin as possible.

An angle grinder with a masonary disc will cut it.
    Last edited by Poen; 2017/12/06 at 06:40 AM.

Takealot has the Q1200 on special today as a daily deal

https://www.takealot.com/weber-q1200...k/PLID32721649

Loot an even lower price - R3 799

http://www.loot.co.za/product/weber-...kbrm-3425-g9a0

Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Hi all

new in the forum, I bought a Weber Q1000 just for small quick braais at home, no travelling with it. I want to convert it from the gas cans to a Cadac gas bottle ( I think it is a size 10). I have been looking for the adapter kit to do this but can't seem to find it. I looked at the Cadac High Pressure cylinder adapter hose but the one end does not look like it will fit the Weber Q1000. Please could somebody help me find this adapter. Thanks

The first thing I did when I got mine was to change over to normal Cadac gas cylinders. I went to the local gas supplier and he made up a length of pipe with a normal Cadac cylinder fitting on the one end and a fitting similar to that found in the cannister on the other end. One simply screw the one end in where the cannister goes and the other end into any size Cadac cylinder and away you go. This fitting costs a little more than one cannister. Those cannisters are hellish expensive. I see they sell for up to R80 a piece at the old gas price. At the new gas price a 4.5 kilo cylinder costs R 112 to fill. That is the equavilent of 9 cannisters which will set you back R 720.

Greg, as an edited after thought - welcome to the forum. I trust you will enjoy widening your horizons as much as I did mine over here.
    Last edited by Poen; 2017/12/12 at 12:27 PM.

While waiting for my trivet (Orderdered from Loot for R291) Swambo got this one for R38 at PnP.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

Nice.

Now try some loin chops on there at 200 degrees, but turn the trivet over so that the meat is say 2 or 3 mm from the grid. The fatty part comes out crispy and the meat get a light brown colour but stays soft band juicy. mmmmmmmmmmm yummy!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    Nice.

Now try some loin chops on there at 200 degrees, but turn the trivet over so that the meat is say 2 or 3 mm from the grid. The fatty part comes out crispy and the meat get a light brown colour but stays soft band juicy. mmmmmmmmmmm yummy!
    Thanks Poen, will give it a try. If it can do for the loin chops what it can do for a pork chop then it will be amazing! Swambo did some scones for the ladies at her office. They loved it!

Name:	IMG_0800.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	470081

Name:	IMG_0804.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	470082

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperCreepers View Post
    Thanks Poen, will give it a try. If it can do for the loin chops what it can do for a pork chop then it will be amazing! Swambo did some scones for the ladies at her office. They loved it!

Name:	IMG_0800.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	470081

Name:	IMG_0804.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	470082
    Yum yum looking good !

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MXDURO For This Useful Post:

A week or two back I got a Q1200 on Takealot for R3699 which I reckon was a good price. After reading this thread and other reviews I decided to play it safe and just do steaks the first time around. They were brilliant, better than I've ever achieved on a normal braai.

As far as pizza stones are concerned I got the Alva, also on Takealot, for R219, I see that today they are on for R199 (R400 at Builders). The nice thing with the Alva is it's slightly smaller than the others. Most of them are 33cm and the Alva is 30cm so it fits the Q1200 perfectly. Great pizzas last night and now looking forward to experimenting with all the rest of what you old hands have described here.

Gas and braai in the same sentence? I don't care what anyone calls it - this ease of use and the results it produces are what I'm looking for. The fire in the pit alongside serves the need for flames.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Greeff For This Useful Post:

I found that on the Q it is crucial to heat it properly, I let mine stand for at least 10mins before using it.

I found that on the Q it is crucial to heat it properly, I let mine stand for at least 10mins before using it.
    Enough time to finish the first beer.
    _______________________________________Dum vivimus, vivamus!With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Our Q1000 is now also being used to bake our bread.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Ek gaan daai brood try.

Hoe lank was hy in?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast