Weber Q gas braai - Page 5

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default Re: Weber Q gas braai

This afternoon we did pizzas on the Q 1200.

We used a Cadac pizza stone that was cut to fit the Q 1200, placed on a trivet with alu foil the size of the trivet underneath. We used very thin bases and after experimenting with cooking times decided 8 minutes was best at say >180 degrees. My finicky son judged it the best pizzas we ever made. In fact, I think we can take on a few franchise outlets, not in volume, but in taste!

I was pleasantly surprised with this little guys performance, and has decided to build it a cradle to take it with when camping.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Poen. Pictures of the Pizza or it didnt happen!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Poen. Pictures of the Pizza or it didnt happen!
    Next time. I was so focused on the 8 minutes exactly that the thought of a camera never crossed my mind.

onedayonly.co.za has the Q1000 for R2999 today (13/6/2017).
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

We used our cadac pizza stone in the q1200 this weekend while camping at Matamba and it was just a awesome salami,bacon,ham mushroom,cheese pizza ever.

My mouth watering now.will need to make a trip to Bloem Kloppers very soon.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    My mouth watering now.will need to make a trip to Bloem Kloppers very soon.
    I am avoiding them like the pest! My butt is itching for this! I shall not!!!
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

My first leg of lamb effort. OK, only half a leg of lamb. There are only two of us. Half a leg of lamb, some olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian herbs and into the baby Q for an hour. Then add four quartered potatoes and some small onions, and an hour later you have yourself a lovely Sunday lunch - with salad of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2762.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	408764

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Mmmm very nice. I made some "toasted sandwiches" with lamb tjops and T-bone yesterday. I just love the weber!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    My first leg of lamb effort. OK, only half a leg of lamb. There are only two of us. Half a leg of lamb, some olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian herbs and into the baby Q for an hour. Then add four quartered potatoes and some small onions, and an hour later you have yourself a lovely Sunday lunch - with salad of course.

Name:	DSCN2762.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	408764
    Wow Poen,

Looks like you are realy enjoying the Baby Q!

Thanks for sharing all these great looking meals.

Hi All,

I am seriously considering getting the Q2200. I love my wood fire but time and the kids is becoming an issue and I would rather be braaing on gas than not braaing at all. (My triplet girls are now 6 months old)

Poen,

Could you please give me the dimensions on the pan that you used for the leg of lamb that you prepared?

I checked the dimensions on the roasting rack and some other accessories for the Q2200 and I got to 23.5cm x 37cm (Maths is not my strong point).

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    The roasting pan I use was made to my specs. Excluding the handles, which add 22 mm x 2 to the length the size is 300 long, 235 wide and 45 deep. I use it extensively when camping - on gas and on the fire. It is superb for baked dishes in the Weber.

I am very fond of my weber, but I must tell you, it is not ideal for everything. Toasted samies and wors being just two examples where the fire is still tops.

Here is a lovely recipe for a nicety that can be prepared long before a camp and taken with in your freezer. - at least one per person.

Big brown mushroom, stem removed, and stem as well as another biggish mushroom chopped finely. Add to frying pan with a big lump of butter and 1/8 th garlic clove also chopped finely. Add a little mixed herbs, salt and pepper and fry this concoction over low heat for 5 minutes. Dish into already hollowed out big brown mushroom's cavity. Cool down, wrap in alu foil and into the freezer. When needed, remove foil, get Weber up to 200 Celsius, place frozen mushroom on trivet - indirect heat for about 15 minutes. One cannot believe it was still in a deep freeze 20 minutes ago. Yummy!

Hi Poen,

Thanks so much for the quick reply and the dimensions. I have seen some awesome pans at the Voetspore shop but will have to go and measure them.

I understand your comment regarding samies but surprised at your wors comment.

Thanks for the great recipe, going to try this regardless of I get the Weber or not but at the moment I am convincing myself that I really really need it.

I have another "lazy" question (If I go make the sums then I would get the answer) but do you think the Q2200 (Gas) vs Q2400 (Electricity) makes a difference in terms of cost per meal? My immediate reaction would be yes, electricity would be more expensive especially with all the proposed price hikes but just wondered if you have done the pro's and con's for both?

Thanks!
    Chris

My parents have got a Weber Q300 at their retirement home that is literally as good as new and probably used once to test it. They furnished the home but haven't moved in yet. I've got it into their head to sell it and get a Q1000 odd instead which is more compact and useful for them. I know it has the extra griddle and Weber cover also.

If anyone is interested please let me know.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Hi Chris,
    No, I haven't, but our local gas shop tells me running an electric geyser is way cheaper than running a gas one. A friend of ours added a bathroom, and installed a gas heater. He needs R 8000 per year to keep his bathroom in hot water. I must add that they have a massive bath, and in our household everyone showers. We need about R 20000 for the household, running 4 fridge compressors full time, a geyser and an huge electric oven, dishwasher, washing machine that, like the dishwasher, heats the water, as well as a tumble drier. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    My parents have got a Weber Q300 at their retirement home that is literally as good as new and probably used once to test it. They furnished the home but haven't moved in yet. I've got it into their head to sell it and get a Q1000 odd instead which is more compact and useful for them. I know it has the extra griddle and Weber cover also.

If anyone is interested please let me know.
    George, I will not recommend the Q 1000, but rather the Q 2000. There is nothing wrong with the Q 1000, but there are two important differences. Although their footprint is the same, the Q 2000 has a higher dome as well as an indispensable thermometer, which is essential if you want to follow Weber recipes instructions or use it as an oven.
    Bear in mind that the Q 1000 and Q 2000 is only just big enough for a family of four.
    Last edited by Poen; 2016/09/20 at 06:10 PM.

Sure. Q1000 is just a basic braai. I've got one and extremely happy. They'll also just need something for a quick braai, nothing more.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    George, I will not recommend the Q 1000, but rather the Q 2000. There is nothing wrong with the Q 1000, but there are two important differences. Although their footprint is the same, the Q 2000 has a higher dome as well as an indispensable thermometer, which is essential if you want to follow Weber recipes instructions or use it as an oven.
    Bear in mind that the Q 1000 and Q 2000 is only just big enough for a family of four.

The 1000, 2000 and 3000 is the older gas series which is still available at some shops
    The newer series is the 1200, 2200 and 3200 with a higher lid ,inbuilt thermometer and newer ignition
    The 1000 and 1200 have the same footprint ,
    the 2000 and 2200 have the same footprint medium size and the bigger size 3000 and 3200 have the same footprint

See http://www.weber.com... see Q series

If it says Weber on the badge it will do the trick.

We use our E210 two to three times a week from anything from lamb chops, Mama's pies, chicken pieces to fish fingers and baby marrows. Best investment ever!

I have two Weber kettle braais too and I'll never part with them. I take one along for camping as it beats the disgusting braais and grids provided by most campsites hands down.

Love em.

Anyone using the the rotisserie for the Q1000/Q1200 ?
    Would love one but @ R2999-00 it`s a bit overpriced.

Name:	Rotisserie.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	418774

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast