Very sick little Pajero - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Very sick little Pajero

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    In 2005 I rebuilt a 4M40 motor for R13500 with new everything except the head. So it is not a cheap exercise. I did everything myself except for the re-sleeve.
    How many hours labour Sergey. labour costs more than the parts these days.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Due to the number of bad mechanics out there, rebuilding is always a risk.

A friend of mine has a couple of the 2.8 colts in the work fleet.
    When an engine starts misbehaving, they tell their mechaniic to get an import motor ready.
    The 'new' motor is fitted in one day and the vehicle is working (earning money) the next day again. They have never had an issue with an import motor and they are cheap.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

The 4m40 is a great motor if serviced and drove correctly.
    Those older SWB Pajeros are becoming very sought after.
    I would think twice before selling, remember if you do not buy new the next vehicle might cost you even more to get 100%
    Neil

2008 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 - The boring appliance that battles to stay upright! (Flippie)
    2002 Colt Rodeo 2.8TDI 4x4 (Smokey)
    2000 3.5 V6 SWB Pajero
    Boswa
    - since fitting Land Rover wheels it has an oil leak

GP0049
    ORRA X129

Hey guys

Huge thanks for the positive responses. Iíve decided that Ilove and trust my little tjorrie enough to rather put funds into helping hercome right. Will get hold of a few of the places youíve mentioned and try get anew or at least newer engine to put into her.

Really appreciate the input!
    Thank you

Jo

2nd vote for engines and more. I have been to their place. they know what they are doing
    Last edited by Stranger; 2016/04/28 at 10:13 AM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Import motor I reckon is the way to go. Did the same few years ago after multiple head failures on the 4M40. The rest of the Paj should not give any hassles from what I hear and selling it to buy something else won't be as cost effective as an engine transplant.

Strange thing is my import job lasted 200 thousand km up until I sold it and is probably still running. The engine I bought the vehicle with ate four heads and all my savings in just over half the km's done by the import, makes me wonder why the hell we were sold these vehicles that seems to have had an inherrant problem.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Default Very sick little Pajero

Import engine is so R20 000. En dan nog so R1500-R2000 vir courierkoste. En nog so R2000 tot R5000 vir fitment.... So bargan vir R25000+ vir die jobbie...

En nog omtrent R2000 vir nuwe clutch terwyl engine uit is...
    Last edited by Reenen; 2016/05/01 at 11:17 PM.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Import motor I reckon is the way to go. Did the same few years ago after multiple head failures on the 4M40. The rest of the Paj should not give any hassles from what I hear and selling it to buy something else won't be as cost effective as an engine transplant.

Strange thing is my import job lasted 200 thousand km up until I sold it and is probably still running. The engine I bought the vehicle with ate four heads and all my savings in just over half the km's done by the import, makes me wonder why the hell we were sold these vehicles that seems to have had an inherrant problem.

Riaan, what motor did you have fitted the second time?? Is it still the 4M40, or another model?? I was under the impression I'd just have to refit the 4M40, but if it's the one giving hassles I'd rather go another route?

I also investigated the possibility of putting in a Lexus V8, which is apparently a good option. Only problem is that they only seem to come in auto, and I want a manual. s it possible to get some kind of adapter or something?? Someone suggested I put in a Hilux manual gearbox with a converter and the Lexus V8 engine...

Alternatively, is there another engine model I could use that won't chow up heads??

Still struggling with this one. Have been in contact with the guys at Engines and More, and they quoted me 26k for an import. Add to that the 4k quoted to fit the engine, and courier costs, and it'll end up around 35k... Eina...

Quote Originally Posted by BuggsBalmer View Post
    Riaan, what motor did you have fitted the second time?? Is it still the 4M40...
    Howdy Buggs, yes it was the 4M40 motor, it was installed in a Clubcab. Only issue was that we had to fit a smaller oil filter. Engine was supplied with aircon compressor, alternator etc. My mate who did the transplant managed it over two evenings after work.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Riaan, what motor did you have fitted the second time?? Is it still the 4M40, or another model?? I was under the impression I'd just have to refit the 4M40, but if it's the one giving hassles I'd rather go another route?

I also investigated the possibility of putting in a Lexus V8, which is apparently a good option. Only problem is that they only seem to come in auto, and I want a manual. s it possible to get some kind of adapter or something?? Someone suggested I put in a Hilux manual gearbox with a converter and the Lexus V8 engine...

Alternatively, is there another engine model I could use that won't chow up heads??

Still struggling with this one. Have been in contact with the guys at Engines and More, and they quoted me 26k for an import. Add to that the 4k quoted to fit the engine, and courier costs, and it'll end up around 35k... Eina...
    Lexus manual conversion is a right PITA and will cost you upwards of R70k. Engines are getting scarce as well.

Listen to Reenen.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Howzit all

Ok, so again, huge thanks for the replies and advice. I have decided to bite the bullet, and will be ordering my import from Engines and More as soon as I can gather the funds together. My mechanic has quoted me 4k to fit the engine, and will also run a full inspection to make sure nothing else will go once the engine is replaced. so that, plus the 26k for the actual engine leaves me looking at 30 grand plus courier from Gauteng to Grahamstown.

That's 30k I'd MUCH rather spend on a vehicle I know, trust and love, as opposed to selling her off for nothing and getting a platkar for what I can.

This is one of the reasons I love this forum. Knowledgeable input from guys who have been there, done that, and know their sh1t.

Grateful!
    Buggs

Howzit all

Ok, so again, huge thanks for the replies and advice. I have decided to bite the bullet, and will be ordering my import from Engines and More as soon as I can gather the funds together. My mechanic has quoted me 4k to fit the engine, and will also run a full inspection to make sure nothing else will go once the engine is replaced. so that, plus the 26k for the actual engine leaves me looking at 30 grand plus courier from Gauteng to Grahamstown.

That's 30k I'd MUCH rather spend on a vehicle I know, trust and love, as opposed to selling her off for nothing and getting a platkar for what I can.

This is one of the reasons I love this forum. Knowledgeable input from guys who have been there, done that, and know their sh1t.

Grateful!
    Buggs
    Good luck with everything, I hope it all works out. Many happy trails in future!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Way to go Bugs. I think you will look back after all is done and know you made the right decision.

BMW R1200R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2