Uprade for the GV wipers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Uprade for the GV wipers

I stumbled onto a shelf of Bosch wiper blades at Naskar. Since it was time to replace the ones on the GV, I sorted through the shelf and came upon the Bosch AERO ECO - the new flat blade design which is now widely used on new cars (but not the GV!!)
    Measured the ones on the GV, somewhere between 18 - 19 inches, bought a set of the "new technology" blades, fitted them (it is a straight clip-on/clip off exercise) and came to the conclusion that longer blades will fit perfectly. Finally settled for 22 inch on the driver side and 20 inch on the passenger side - with sufficient room to spare.
    The end result? 1. Super efficient wipers compared to the original, old tech ones!
    2. a much larger area of the windscreen gets cleaned.

The blades have a much lower profile, but the connectors are slightly more proud.

Cost: R105 - R120 each. You can buy them separately, so using different sizes is no problem.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2016/04/20 at 04:01 PM.

Default Re: Uprade for the GV wipers

These are awesome. When I need to upgrade I will be adding them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%
    Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
    Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

Thanks Johan...I'll make a mental note!

Actually, any car with the "old tech" blades can be upgraded and will benefit. the package contains options for various connection types.

are these wipers really better? or is it just a perception? (entering rain season in cpt so looking at replacing the blades.)
    Last edited by Professional_Weekender; 2016/04/25 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling

They really are better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

Quote Originally Posted by Professional_Weekender View Post
    are these wipers really better? or is it just a perception? (entering rain season in cpt so looking at replacing the blades.)
    Well, I have not tested them in a fully fledged storm, only light rain and judging from that they are in a number of ways; there are no droplets "jumping" over the blade as on the old ones; there seems to be a more equal pressure over the length of the blade; VERY quit; requires less sweeps to clean the windscreen from all residual water, say after using the washer.

Most recent cars use them, so their must be some real benefits. And they have real scientific means to determine that.

It is a Bosch make, so one would expect good quality, and they are claiming that the aero-dynamics of the blade promotes downward pressure and thus better sweeping.

Although I guess you can do the same with standard blades, replacing the standard lengths with longer ones was an added bonus. I am not sure whether the old design would allow longer blades without losing contact/pressure on the specific curve of the GV windscreen?

Being a tall guy, it really helps to have some additional clean area, esp. just above eye level and believe me, that extra 2 inches helps a lot

So, my aim with the post was really twofold.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2016/04/25 at 02:34 PM.

I popped in to Midas, Hillcrest.
    The very on the ball woman there took one look and fitted 24" on the driver side- the blade goes beyond where the driver can see (into the black tint and a mm or 2 from the rubber) and 18" on the passenger side.
    2010 Grand Vitara 2.4 man, Stofpad radiator & belly plates & lift kit, 245/60R17 Firestone Destinations, Tucson rims

Quote Originally Posted by adiebear View Post
    I popped in to Midas, Hillcrest.
    The very on the ball woman there took one look and fitted 24" on the driver side- the blade goes beyond where the driver can see (into the black tint and a mm or 2 from the rubber) and 18" on the passenger side.
    As they say, every inch counts . Since the blades are sealed in their packaging and you have to pay and open it, I wasn't willing to fork out another R100 to see whether a longer blade would also work. The upgrade from the standerd 18" to 22" was a major improvement of which I was quite happy.
    Also keep in mind that the adjustment of the arm itself, also plays a role.

And thanks for the info!

Fitted 22" & 19" twin aeros today ...thanks for the info Johan - they look really great - now if it would just rain and I can use them 🙄🌧🌧🌧

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

I really hope you get rain soon, and that you then get the opportunity to test the new blades. Keep us posted

So, we've had some rain - some hard some soft, and must say the wipers have been great - worthwhile upgrade. They are very quiet, and clear the windscreen nicely - only thing I have not done is use them at speed above 80 km/h, but trust they will work well from what I have seen so far. I am not so tall, so the add-on to 22" for the driver's side is not critical - but I am cleaning a lot of the windscreen .

Apologies if I have missed this, but I did not read through the whole write-up on this .... what did you do with the rear wiper, or did you not replace this? I replaced both front and the rear. The one I did get for the rear - correct length but not original casing/holder - was not to my liking. I thus removed the rubber blade from the replacement, slid this into the original GV wiper/holder/arm (what ever you want to call it) and it works absolutely fine. ALSO saved myself quite a packet - dealer charge was waaaay higher than my price at SparesLink.
    1984 SJ 410 ("Ben Laden" ) sold
    2013 Jimny ("Seuntjie") Wizerd rock sliders and underwear, Steering damper
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 ("Moeder") DASTEK chip (Sold)
    2010 Audi S3 ("Silvo")
    2013 VW Touareg V6 TDi ("Geit")
    2 bicycles ("Blitz" and "Monstrosity")
    2014 SYM 300i GTS Scooter ("Babatjie")

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Wassermann View Post
    Apologies if I have missed this, but I did not read through the whole write-up on this .... what did you do with the rear wiper, or did you not replace this? I replaced both front and the rear. The one I did get for the rear - correct length but not original casing/holder - was not to my liking. I thus removed the rubber blade from the replacement, slid this into the original GV wiper/holder/arm (what ever you want to call it) and it works absolutely fine. ALSO saved myself quite a packet - dealer charge was waaaay higher than my price at SparesLink.
    I did the same as you previously...orfered a 12" and used the new wiper blade in the original shell 🖒

Wonder of these will work on my Jeep? The standard (R800 Mopar) wiper blades are horribly squeaky and juddery

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Wonder of these will work on my Jeep? The standard (R800 Mopar) wiper blades are horribly squeaky and juddery
    Johan as long as they use that standard U loop mount they will work fine - they are silicon rubber based...so super quiet.

They come with adaptors to fit most vehicles. You should be able to get some that work. You just can't cut them shorter

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Johan as long as they use that standard U loop mount they will work fine - they are silicon rubber based...so super quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    They come with adaptors to fit most vehicles. You should be able to get some that work. You just can't cut them shorter
    The Jeep is a funny "inbetween" size. Either 17" or 19", not sure now.

The Jeep is a funny "inbetween" size. Either 17" or 19", not sure now.
    Both sizes available

Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Both sizes available
    I will pay my local Midas a visit soon. Need some screenwash anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast