Who did their apprenticeships - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Default Re: Who did their apprenticeships

Small world...amazing how some normal people impact on so many lives...

Sent from my GT-I9100

I Qualified in 2014 but not through apprenticeship.I had the working experience.I have yet to find employment with it.

Elektrisien, 1979 ,USCO - Vereeniging, na ek die 3 de elektriese skok kry, toe los ek maar my streke.....

Millwhright
    YSKOR Newcastle
    Olifantsfontein geskryf Desember 1993
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D GLS
    2002 BMW K1200 RS (vir die mooi weers dae)
    2004 Smart 450 cabriolet (for driving to work and back,it only sniffs on fuell,700 cc TURBO)
    2001 Audi A6 Avant (Platkar)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8

Started my apprenticeship in 1995 on forklifts and earthmoving equipment, including those huge mining dump trucks.

In 1998 the trade of forklift mechanic was added to the list of mechanic's qualifications that you could obtain. We were given the choice of being qualified as earthmoving mechanics or as forklift mechanics. The actual trade test was exactly the same for both, at the same examiner at Olifantsfontein, a guy called Joggie.

With this being a new trade three of us appies that worked for the company at that time decided it would be cool to become the first persons to obtain this new qualification.

One of my co-appies, Conrad, now deceased, went to Olifantsfontein to do the trade test two weeks before I did and thus became the first qualified forklift mechanic in the country, to the best of our knowledge.

The other appy, Chris, and myself went on the same day two weeks later, and we both passed with distinction, thereby making us the second and third officially qualified forklift mechanics in the country.

Started my apprenticeship in 2008 and qualified in 2011 as an Electrician at Transnet.

Made good memories there, being young and careless made for lots of trouble.

My dad started there when he was 19, he is 56 today and still going strong like a steam engine. When I done my 'fitting and filing' I stood by the same vice that he stood at more than 30 years ago.

That being said, I doubt that I will one day encourage my Son to take on a trade with the way things have been. After qualifying I've spent more than 24months without employment. Currently working my way towards a Master Electrician qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Do any of you remember the tricks they played on the poor appy's .I was once told to go to the Fitter and Turner and ask for a long wait .Well after 20 minutes of waiting the Fitter told me to go and tell my Journey man i waited long enough hehehehe. Also go to the stores and get a tin of grinding sparks us poor appy's had no idea hat it was
    You were lucky I waited 4 hours at the store for the "long wait"
    1987 fitter and turner at Pres Brand Mine,
    left the trade, now lecturer in Mechanical Technology at a University
    Gerhard Beukes
    Mr Big

2015 Navara 4x4
    4x4 Com Radio: 1033

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9