Richtersveld in January

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Richtersveld in January

I am planning a trip to Richtersveld next year in January as part of a trip mostly through Namibia. I know its probably very hot but well... We will be renting a 4x4 Double Cab, probably it is gonna be a Ford Ranger or a Toyota Hilux.

I have a couple of questions:

1) How long will driving time be from Springbok to Tatasberg Camp? Can I easilly make it in one day?

2) What drives would you suggest to make in the Tatasberg area, starting from there and returning to Tatasberg? I have some experience, but as we only will be in one vehicle I want to avoid very difficult drives for safety reasons. I do not mind deep sand or rocky tracks but do mind jumping from Rock to Rock.

3) What will the driving time be from Tatasberg to Hobas Camp?

Thank you!

Default Re: Richtersveld in January

Anybody especially for driving time from Springbok to Tatasberg Wilderness Camp? I am sure some people here have done it. I want to do it via Eksteensfontein btw.

Dit hang af hoe baie jy stilhou. Ons was op tot by Rosynebos. Van Eksteensfontein af is dit so 2 ure tot by Sendelingsdrif en dan so 3 ure tot by De Hoop. Tatasberg is nog so 2 uur se ry van De Hoop af. Daar is 'n ander pad wat direk Tatasberg toe gaan maar ek dink dit sal dieselfde tyd neem. Neem genoeg water saam vir drink. Ons het 3 liter per persoon per dag saam ganeem en dit was net genoeg. Die afstande is nie so ver nir maar die meeste paaie moet jy stadig ry. Baie sinkplaat en dan is dit maar tweespoor pad.

Thank you fanusl.

I had to put this into Google translator I do not speak afrikaans unfortunately.

According to the translation you wrote 2 hours from Eksteensfontein to Sendelingsdrif and 3 hours to De Hoop. It wasn´t quite clear in the translation if you meant 3 hours total from Eksteensfontein to De Hoop or 3 more hours from Sendelingsdrif to De Hoop (I guess the latter....?)

Then Google translates 2 hours from De Hoop to Tatasberg but this is only 13 kilometers...? Is the road really THAT bad...?
    Last edited by erikh; 2016/04/19 at 11:11 AM.

Hi Erik
    Most roads inside the park I would work on a maximum of about 30km/h, some worse some better. The mountain passes obviously takes longer. Watch out for the direct route from De Hoop to Tatasberg, it runs for long stretches on the riverbank and when we were there we were advised not to take that route at all, even with 4x4. That means quite a detour but no chance to get stuck in the deep sand.
    The road from Eksteenfontein was badly corrugated and again it slows you down a lot. I would guess the 250 odd km from Springbok to Sendelingsdrift could take 4 to 5 hours. From there another 3 hours to Tatasberg but if you don't have to go past De Hoop, don't stay on the road inside the park and go straight to Tatasberg.

Hope it makes sense

PS: Enjoy, it's the most beautiful part of the world!
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

As an aside, Tracks4africa helped me alot with planning beforehand on Basecamp. They have a lot of detail on roads and road conditions, as well as driving times.

https://tracks4africa.co.za/
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

Erik
    Ockert reply to your Question. There are more than one road. As he said be aware of which road you take. At Sendelingsdrif at the office they will advise you which roads are safe to use if only one vechicle. Make sure you have enough drinking water. The temp. was 50deg. plus for 5 day's.

Camping in 50C is no pleasure. I was in the Kalahari last year at 50C and everyone we spoke to agreed. I would choose a cooler time of the year if your schedule allows. I hear August is a good month for the Richtersveld.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by erikh View Post
    I am planning a trip to Richtersveld next year in January as part of a trip mostly through Namibia. I know its probably very hot but well...
    You will need to prepare well for the heat. Expect temperatures in the mid 40s, make sure you have shade, and aim to spend most of your time in the river. The Richtersveld can be very dangerous at that time of the year.

Thank you so much.

I wasn´t aware that the short road between De Hoop and Tatasberg might be impassable. Even if this should be the case from what you are saying I guess 8 hours should be maximum.... So I guess (and hope) I should be fine starting from Springbok in the morning. Starting at lets say 9 would give me more than 10 hours of time (and 7 hours to get to Sendelingsdrif I read we have to show up there no later than 4). (I am planning this far in advance after I found out that some Camps are already Sold out for January 2017 (like Urikaruus Camp in Kgalagadi Park).

As for Heat: We chose January because that is the month I hate most for the cold here in Germany. We like being here when it is warm so we want to escape when it is coldest. On the other hand we have camped in a small private tent several times under similar circumstances. Worst ever was heat over 40 degrees 2 hours after sunset in Utah and it was only in May. I took frozen bottleded water out of the cooler and usd it as a blanket I will never forget that.

From what I could find out on the Internet is that it cools down very much in Richtersveld in the nighttime even in January is that about correct? And during the daytime we plan to drive on those 4x4 Tracks with a working air condition (and it is only one full day inside the park for us so I guess with some tons of water on the trunk we will hopefully survive...)

Tracks4africa is an excellent advice thanks for that. I might want to buy it for the Iphone has anybody used it on that device? I also have a Garmin GPS at home but I´d prefer the Iphone for car navigation.

Thank you.
    Last edited by erikh; 2016/04/20 at 02:39 PM.

Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip into the Richtersveld in July 2016. Single car with a fairly heavy trailer. I have a specific question regarding the best route between Hondeklipbaai and Springbok. I am thinking taking joining the N7 via Swartllntjies. Anyone know that road?
    Then onwards to Kuboes ...

Thanks for any feedback you may be able to provide on this!
    2012 Toyota Fortuner
    2016 Conqueror Comfort

Those gravel roads up there are rough
    I wouldn't go alone
    We did that in December at we all had troubles cos of the roads
    We were 3 vehicles

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

Quote Originally Posted by erikh View Post
    I am planning a trip to Richtersveld next year in January as part of a trip mostly through Namibia. I know its probably very hot but well... We will be renting a 4x4 Double Cab, probably it is gonna be a Ford Ranger or a Toyota Hilux.

I have a couple of questions:

1) How long will driving time be from Springbok to Tatasberg Camp? Can I easilly make it in one day?

2) What drives would you suggest to make in the Tatasberg area, starting from there and returning to Tatasberg? I have some experience, but as we only will be in one vehicle I want to avoid very difficult drives for safety reasons. I do not mind deep sand or rocky tracks but do mind jumping from Rock to Rock.

3) What will the driving time be from Tatasberg to Hobas Camp?

Thank you!

1) Yes, you can make in one day preferably via Port Nolloth if time is an issue.
    2) The de Hoop direct to Richtersberg route should be avoided. A drive to Kokerboomkloof is well worth it. Close to Kokerboomkloof, there is a spectacular vantange point,
    4) Depenidng whether the ferry at Sendelingsdrift is running. If not, it can be a very long day, but you should make it well in one day going via Oranjemund.

It is very hot that time of the year, but I suppose one can cool of in the river! Take the right precautions for sunburn!

No reason not to go with one vehicle. Make sure that tyres are in good condition with preferably two spare wheels. Remember to carry extra water.

Enjoy!

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2016/05/14 at 08:14 PM.

Hmmmmm, I dont think its a good idea to go from Springbok to Tatasberg Camp in one day. From Alexander Bay the roads to the entrance of the Richtersveldt are gravel so you will be traveling from 60 - 80km/hr.

When we went a year ago we drove from Springbok and arrived at the Sendelingsdrif Rest Camp at the Entrance of the Richtersveldt at 7pm, the park was already closed, luckily we were able to still set up camp.

Its slow driving in the Richtersveldt, don't be fooled ..like I was .. on the map the distances look short, but the drive takes a lot longer than you think. Besides you will want to stop and look at the scenery and that takes time as well.

That's my 2cents worth

How is it possible to drive a whole day between Springbok and Sendelingsdrift?

We went to Richters two years ago, camping at Potjiespram and De Hoop. We slept over at Port Nolloth after travelling from Klein Pella near Poffadder. That made the trip into Sendellingsdrif and first night at Potjiespram much more relaxed. Depending on whether the grader has been around or not, bank on no more than 60 km/hr on the stretch between Alex Bay and Sendelings. The road to Tata's from De Hoop is vey sandy and we got stuck but managed to reverse out. We travelled from De Hoop back to the first entry gate via Helshoogte pass. The road was good for a pass and it took us approx 3 hours. We were towing ORT's.
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

I agree with Roelf. It is about 320 km?
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

Going via Eksteensfontein it actually can take a day. That road is horrible, but I do enjoy the ride very much. Springbok to Tatas via this route in one day.......I would not. Rather drive to Sendelingsdrift and stand over till next day. Not a very good camp (very rustic), but OK for one night. (You are allowed to use the swimming pool in the chalet area) Tatas to Hobas may also be a challenge, but there is a new road (actually still under construction but open) to reach Ais Ais or on to Hobas which cuts about 90 km`s off the "normal route". Be very careful on the stretch of road from Sendelingsdrift along the Orange River (Nam side).....it has a lot of blind corners and very narrow cuttings which can catch you out very easily.
    Land Rover Defender 110 Puma
    "If better is possible, good is not enough"
    ........so they build the Puma.....

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    How is it possible to drive a whole day between Springbok and Sendelingsdrift?
    Sorry my bad, I forgot we drove up from Namaqua Skilpad restcamp and only arrived at Springbok at 14:45, so it took around 3-4hrs to get to Richtersveld Sendelingsdrif. I thought we stayed over at Springbok, but that was on the way back. It would be possible then to get to Tatasberg, a bit rushed though

Thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Camping in 50C is no pleasure. I was in the Kalahari last year at 50C and everyone we spoke to agreed.
    What he said. We traveled from Skeleton Coast Namibia down to Cape Town in January. NEVER AGAIN. We had to go in Jan because camping at Torrabaai is only allowed over Dec - Jan. In the Richtersveld it was 48C and we packet up camp 2 days earlier, because the heat was just unbearable.
    Toyota Hilux D/C D4D 4x4
    Mods:
    Bilstein Suspension
    Rear Diff Breather
    Safari Snorkel
    Rear axle air helpers
    Dual Batt system
    Long Range Fuel Tank
    Rock sliders
    Outback Rear Bumper
    Outback alu canopy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast