Richtersveld in January - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Richtersveld in January

That must have been unbearable!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Default Re: Richtersveld in January

Quote Originally Posted by erikh View Post
    As for Heat: We chose January because that is the month I hate most for the cold here in Germany. We like being here when it is warm so we want to escape when it is coldest. On the other hand we have camped in a small private tent several times under similar circumstances. Worst ever was heat over 40 degrees 2 hours after sunset in Utah and it was only in May. I took frozen bottleded water out of the cooler and usd it as a blanket I will never forget that.

From what I could find out on the Internet is that it cools down very much in Richtersveld in the nighttime even in January is that about correct? And during the daytime we plan to drive on those 4x4 Tracks with a working air condition (and it is only one full day inside the park for us so I guess with some tons of water on the trunk we will hopefully survive...)
    Erik, I am one of the owners of a camp situated on the Orange River in the Richtersveld and I cannot over-emphasize just how extreme the mid-Summer temperatures can get. The Richtersveld is a mountainous desert and, with the exception of the trees along the riverbank, there is little or no shade to be found anywhere inland. I don't for a minute want to deter you from visiting this magnificent wilderness area, but I also don't want you to be under any false illusions about "cool nights" or driving in any degree of comfort - even with the aircon on. Very few aircons are able to cool to much more than 10-15 degrees below ambient - and even less when rock crawling at 15-20km/h with little airflow to help disapate the under hood engine & gearbox heat radiating through the firewall and floor pan as the sun blazes down onto the roof and through the windscreen. The black dolomite rock valleys also very effectively trap the heat - and in the absence of any cooling breeze it's not unusual to experience temperatures in the high 30's and even 40's well into the night. So in short, very possibly worse than your worst ever experience in Utah!

The Tatasberg cabins are situated a little higher in the mountains, but heatstroke and dehydration remain very real risks and experiencing a vehicle breakdown or even having to change a tyre in these extreme temperatures is not to be taken lightly. The Tatasberg experience is something special but you won't be doing it justice or enjoying it to its' fullest in the scorching summer weather. My recommendation would be to rather consider one of the riverside campsites within the park where you will at least have the benefit of shade and the river to cool off in.
    Dave
    Last edited by Learjet; 2016/06/04 at 08:44 AM.
    Dave Lehr
    Richtersveld Wilderness Camp
    Lexus LX470 (OMG did that camelthorn just scratch the pearl duco!?)
    Toyota Landcruiser 80GXP (aaaagh why did I sell it!!?)
    2 x Landrover SIII Shorties (still my favorites - and they keep the tools oiled)
    Plus a couple of Range Rover HSE's and Disco's in my time...but please don't remind me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2