Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 4.0 V6 (1GR-FE) head gasket failures

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    Is dit net op die Prado's of op die Hilux's ook? In my onkunde het ek gehoor die een is dual vvti en die ander nie, geen idee wat dit beteken nie en of dit n verskil gaan maak nie? Moet ek ook maar lig loop?
    nou net met my friend wat n Toyota handelaar is gepraat en hy het bevestig dat hulle een 4.0l Fortuner ingekry het met dieselfde problem.

Will be interested to know if anyone has encountered the same problems on models after 2006 in S.A. 2007 with 150 000 km and purring still.

Fortuner, Hilux, LC79, Prado 120 - Single VVTI 160-170kW
    Prado 150, FJ Cruiser - Dual VVTI 200kW

Heads differ on these models but I suspect the gaskets are the same. It might be that they erode and then need replacement. Preventative maintenance at 160k km service might be in order.
    Last edited by Willied; 2016/07/10 at 09:19 PM.

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Quote Originally Posted by Willied View Post
    Fortuner, Hilux, LC79, Prado 120 - Single VVTI 160-170kW
    Prado 150, FJ Cruiser - Dual VVTI 200kW

Heads differ on these models but I suspect the gaskets are the same. It might be that they erode and then need replacement. Preventative maintenance at 160k km service might be in order.
    On the dual VVTi a cylinder block water jacket spacer has been added.

Both use a steel laminate type cylinder head gasket.

2020 FJ Cruiser "CementGrey&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"Sold
    2012 FJ Cruiser Sport "Black&White" RiceBowl" Sold
    Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

Then boost is in order.. Come TRD come!!

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Had the 160 000km Major service done at Toyota a while ago, hope the guys checked it, because they didn't mention anything. At 184000km now and haven't picked up anything heating up, not even when when the petrol pump started failing in Upington and had to drive it back at really low speeds in extreme heat.
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Regarding 1GR-FE 4.0 L head gasket failures and seeing as this is an ongoing issue, I have done some research and can comment as follows.

There was a part number change and a change to the head gasket design after 2005/11.

The potentially “defective”, “substandard” or whatever head gasket was Part # 11116-31010 and supplied from 2003/01 to 2005/11.

The “new upgraded” head gaskets were supplied from build date 2005/11 onwards Part # 11116-31011.

Not to say there were not some production overruns of the old gasket in post 2005/11 builds.

So 2003/01 to 2005/11, 1GR-FE engines have the possibly flawed head gasket and may be more at risk of head gasket failures.

There is a potential way to check via your Vin # which gasket your vehicle has installed, but that I can elaborate on that later.

The next generation 1GR-FE Dual VVT-i engines had some physical engine design changes and appear not to have any of the head gasket failure issues like their predecessor did.

This info is by observation and online research and has not been confirmed by Toyota SA in any way.

Curious if any reports from 2007 model upwards

I do agree that a top gasket should last the entire life span of an engine. It is also not all pre 2006 1GR`s that blew head gaskets at 200k km. There are many pre 2006 1GR Prado`s and Hilux`s that have done 500 plus k km. Changing a part number is no proof of a flawed design.

Seeing that this only happens in the region of 200k km many other factors should also be taken into consideration. My first question is maintenance. Most vehicles in this km range are in the care of indies. All aluminium engines like the 1GR is very sensitive to the antifreeze used in them. To many indies antifreeze is antifreeze and they do not care what they put into an engine.

Most of the aluminium headed engines that I have rebuilt with head gasket failures could be traced back to wrong antifreeze or overheating some time prior to the failure. Aluminium gets eaten away quickly with no or wrong antifreeze. So does water pump seals.

Last edited by grips; 2020/12/03 at 06:21 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Here is a list of some 1GR-FE engine failures in the US. It's a small sample list, but still shows a trend and that the majority of failures were in 2004 and 2005. I have run a number of Prado Vin #'s and still found many 2006 registered models in SA still have the old gasket, seeing as they were built before 2005/11. In SA, late 2006 and "all" 2007 models onwards should be safe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado Head Gasket Failure List.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	597845

Here is a picture old the old head gasket vs the new gasket. (Old on top, new at bottom)

Name:	Prado Head Gasket old vs New A.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	597846

I have now read many forums on the topic, but this forum in the US has the most useful info on the subject and invaluable technical help: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...quest-***.html

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I do agree that a top gasket should last the entire life span of an engine. It is also not all pre 2006 1GR`s that blew head gaskets at 200k km. There are many pre 2006 1GR Prado`s and Hilux`s that have done 500 plus k km. Changing a part number is no proof of a flawed design.

Seeing that this only happens in the region of 200k km many other factors should also be taken into consideration. My first question is maintenance. Most vehicles in this km range are in the care of indies. All aluminium engines like the 1GR is very sensitive to the antifreeze used in them. To many indies antifreeze is antifreeze and they do not care what they put into an engine.

Most of the aluminium headed engines that I have rebuilt with head gasket failures could be traced back to wrong antifreeze or overheating some time prior to the failure. Aluminium gets eaten away quickly with no or wrong antifreeze. So does water pump seals.

The head gasket engine failures effectively stopped after 2005/11 build date, when the head gasket design and part number were changed, no other relevant head or engine block design changes were made. Most previous failures were on cylinder #6. After reading many forums, reports and opinions on the subject and after few calls to Toyota workshop foreman, the overwhelming evidence I have gathered point to a suspect head gasket, whether it failed due to overheating or poor maintenance, it still failed. The newly designed head gasket by comparison does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post

Name:	Prado Head Gasket old vs New A.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	597846
    Very difficult to compare a used gasket with a new one. The most notable change were the deleted steam holes in the newer one.
    Steam holes is a subject on its own.
    Also looks like the protective film on the used gasket were eaten away. Wrong antifreeze?

Most of the head gasket failures occurred in the region circled below. At this point the water jacket is very close to the head gaskets metal seal ring and leaves very little block material in the area to form a decent seal between coolant and metal ring.

I have a theory for some of the failures and it's a theory only. Many of the pictures I have seen of failed head gasket show some form of corrosion on the head gaskets metal seal ring in this specific area. It could be that due to the close tolerances in this area, that the old gaskets soft composite materials cannot adequately seal these narrow pathways and allow engine coolant to come into contact with the gaskets metal seal ring and this metal ring then corrodes and fails.

The metal ring corrosion could be due to galvanic corrosion, seeing as the gasket metal ring is now in contact with the coolant and the coolant acts as the electrolyte or it could be by just poorly maintained coolant eroding the metal seal ring.

Once the head gaskets metal seal ring has corroded and weakend, it then allows hot high pressure combustion gasses to be injected into the cooling jacket at this weak spot, water is ejected from the radiator cap pressure relief, coolant is lost, engine overheats and game over.

Name:	Prado Head Gasket Failure Pic.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	597854

Name:	Prado Head Gasket.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	597.1 KB 
ID:	597855

Name:	Prado gasket.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	553.5 KB 
ID:	597860

Very close tolerances at potential failure points. Not much block material left to form a decent seal.

Name:	1GRFE.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	597859

Quoted from a forum:

"3. Anyone had to do the repair twice? In all my research about this issue, I have never run across anyone who had to do it twice once they used the new version head gaskets."
    Last edited by Searcher; 2020/12/03 at 08:12 AM.

Name:	1GRFE.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	597859
    Green antifreeze in the pic. As far as I know the Toyota spec antifreeze is pink or red.
    Like you say it seems to be corrosion on the gasket. Seeing that it is only a small number of the pre 2006 1GR`s suffer blown head gaskets I will stick to wrong antifreeze as the main culprit.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/12/03 at 10:08 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Searcher I have built and rebuilt my share of engines. The water ports on the on 1GR is about the same as most of the modern engines I have seen.
    If you have a close look at the gaskets Toyota deleted steam holes. The reason for that can have many, like to change the coolant flow rate round cylinder walls.

Believe me I come a long way with engines. Were a member of many American v8 performance forums. I have come to the conclusion that there are very few real experts on them. Had a timing problem on a 347 V8. Everyone try to be clever and post stuff they read on the net. Made contact with a Ford Racing Technician in the States. He solved my problem in a few seconds.

Appreciate your research but forums are not a reliable factual source of info..
    Last edited by grips; 2020/12/03 at 10:36 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

..... but forums are not a reliable factual source of info..
    Have to somewhat agree with you, one just has to use your experience and logic to separate the wheat from the chaff and eventually you get to the truth. Over the years as a mechanical engineer, I have gotten pretty ok at that. Even some well researched and published articles sometimes have a lot of misinformation in them.

Regarding the green coolant, I have not had a great experience with it. I now only use pink coolant in all our vehicles.

A bit OT regarding green coolant, a little while back the last motor I fully reconditioned was a Datsun L18 motor. It had a head skimmed to within a thousandth of an inch of it’s life and was fitted with a very hot cam, resulting in all the power being at the top of the rev band. I ran it like this for a while. Later on I dropped the compression ratio a bit by fitting an aftermarket aluminium headspacer, specially made for this purpose. I also used copper spray on the headspacer's metal to metal interface.
    Later I wanted to get more power and torque at lower rpm, so fitted a standard cam and another reconditioned, but only lightly skimmed head.
    When taking off the old head after a few months of running, I noticed white/green crystals had started growing on the head gasket holes around the very narrow water ways. Some had grown a few millimetres in diameter and would soon have started to choke off the water flow in that region. Still not sure what caused the reaction, but somewhere along the line the head gasket material, aluminium head, aluminium spacer, cast iron block, copper spray and green antifreeze were not a good combination.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

I
    Both the alfetta's I had blown gasket at 80 k km. Antifreeze in those days was not mandatory
    Johan Kriel

Have to somewhat agree with you, one just has to use your experience and logic to separate the wheat from the chaff and eventually you get to the truth. Over the years as a mechanical engineer, I have gotten pretty ok at that. Even some well researched and published articles sometimes have a lot of misinformation in them.

Regarding the green coolant, I have not had a great experience with it. I now only use pink coolant in all our vehicles.

A bit OT regarding green coolant, a little while back the last motor I fully reconditioned was a Datsun L18 motor. It had a head skimmed to within a thousandth of an inch of it’s life and was fitted with a very hot cam, resulting in all the power being at the top of the rev band. I ran it like this for a while. Later on I dropped the compression ratio a bit by fitting an aftermarket aluminium headspacer, specially made for this purpose. I also used copper spray on the headspacer's metal to metal interface.
    Later I wanted to get more power and torque at lower rpm, so fitted a standard cam and another reconditioned, but only lightly skimmed head.
    When taking off the old head after a few months of running, I noticed white/green crystals had started growing on the head gasket holes around the very narrow water ways. Some had grown a few millimetres in diameter and would soon have started to choke off the water flow in that region. Still not sure what caused the reaction, but somewhere along the line the head gasket material, aluminium head, aluminium spacer, cast iron block, copper spray and green antifreeze were not a good combination.
    Copper and aluminum does not play well together.....

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

"3. Anyone had to do the repair twice? In all my research about this issue, I have never run across anyone who had to do it twice once they used the new version head gaskets."[/QUOTE]

Sadly yes. ME.
    I bought my 2006 prado 4.0 in late sept. Head was redone at 280k +_ 3 yrs ago by the previous owner under warrantee as he had the car for a very short time when it blew. being a dealer they had to repair under warrantee.

I bought it on 320k for a good price, or so i thought. Coolant issues started soon thereafter. I put in new water pump, radiator cap coolant etc. 1st trip end Oct and overheats. As mentioned above, she pushed gas into coolant, coolant out the radiator cap and up the temp went. Luckily I saw the temp spike and stopped before I did serious damage. I have had it back a week now and R36k later (incl the pump, new radiator and heads skimmed, some corrosion welded and sorted also the crank pulley replaced as preventative maintenance). Eina, bargain no longer a bargain.

What was found was there was corrosion where it blew. it was on the drivers side head. Not at 5&6 per most others. It seems the corrosion was bad enough to not have been "a new spot of corrosion" but with the last repair being a warrantee claim, the damage was most likely seen, but the cheap route was taken to get the car out and running for minimal $$$. A weld would most likely have solved it back then. Also the gaskets used were apparently the cheaper option out there. Again the cheap route. I made sure the decent ones were now used. a k or 2 more now saves on the big costs later.

i also noticed the coolant did not look to be the pink coolant, so that could have been a problem from day 1.

So what it seems is that if you have a repair done, make sure they do it properly. the guys would say well it did 40k after the repair so unlucky, but IMO its bull , and pity it was me who found it out in a year like this. You win some you loose some I guess. Hopefully she is now good for a few 100k more miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2