Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

Hi all,

If some of you recall I recently purchased a Disco 4 V8. I absolutely love this vehicle so thank you all so much for the advice.

I am however doing a trip from Luderitz to Walvis later this year and the more I read the more I worry about taking the Disco. I first reached out to the tour operator for advice and asked them if they had any knowledge of how this Disco does on the trip. Their answer: "Agg we normally just have Toyotas"

So here I am reaching out for some advice. Essentially it boils down to two main issues: Fuel and tires.

Fuel. The total distance of the trip is 750km and most of the forums seem to show that I need to cater for 3km/l for a V8 like mine. This means that I need to carry a total of 250litres with me. I dont have a long range tank and the tour guides suggest keeping as much weight off the roof as possible. So here I am contemplating putting 160 litres!! of fuel (8 jerry cans) in the back of my vehicle which sounds like driving a bomb on wheels. Do I really need this much fuel and if so how should I transport it?

I read a shockin post from Jorrie (http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=33648) where he did the same trip in a D3 V8 and averaged 1.2kms/l. I simply cannot take the Disco if that will be the case.

Next up, Tires: There are so many negative posts about the stock 19" rims that the D4 comes with and once again Jorrie had a horrible time in his D3 and blames a lot of it on the 19" rims and tires. Fitting 18" rims sounds great but comes at quite a cost. Will I really struggle on the 19" rims to the extent that taking the Disco just doesnt make sense?

Assuming that I can get by with the 19" tires and my Hankook Dynapro ATM's are up to the job I need to look at spares. Do I have to get a spare rim or can I just take the bare tire along?

There are some articles where they have taken the V8 on a trip like this but little is mentioned about performance. e.g. http://showme.co.za/lifestyle/sand-paradise/

So really the question I am really asking is if my Disco as it is now is up to the job? Kitting it out with a aux tank and 6x18" rims is a distant option but that is going to require like R50k+.

The worst part of this is that my father keeps telling me to just take his Prado 120 which is terribly insulting. But the Prado with its 180 litre fuel tank and 17" tires is starting to seem like a better vehicle for the terrain. The thought of admitting that the Prado is better though is killing me from the inside.

Help me please!!
    Last edited by Daranger; 2016/04/09 at 02:44 PM.

Default Re: Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

I did a Namibia trip in my Disco3 with 18" rims and I must be honest if possible I would go down to 17" rims with a bigger profile tire. In the very loose sand even at 1 bar I struggled in places. down to 0,8 it ran like a dream but having a load I was not comfortable as the tires to my liking were to flat and I was expecting trouble which fortunately did not happen.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly AND FOR THE SAME REASON
    Save the rhino kill a poacher
    Dung beetles have right of way
    2006 DISCO 3 TDV6 HSE
    1998 Disco I V8 Bought it back Sold again.
    1973 Series IIA 109 (Jorrie)
    1974 Series III S/W modified Ford V6 Defender box. Body work (Sold)

Thanks for the comment. I think the D4 runs on a bigger tire than the D3. So Does the 19" on the D4 with 255/55/R19 have the same side wall size as a typical D3 with 255/55/R18? Would the performance therefore be similar?
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

Based on your tour guides response you may be happier in the prado. Last thing you want is to be the odd one out and the butt of all the sny comments and jokes. BTDT!
    I would also be concerned about carrying fuel like that.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Thanks Bruce. Don't think the guy was recommending that I don't take the disco but rather that he doesn't have much experience with it. I also don't think that I spoke to an actual guide so will try get through to someone who really knows.

Preference really is to take my own car though
    Last edited by Daranger; 2016/04/09 at 02:23 PM.
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Daranger View Post
    Thanks for the comment. I think the D4 runs on a bigger tire than the D3. So Does the 19" on the D4 with 255/55/R19 have the same side wall size as a typical D3 with 255/55/R18? Would the performance therefore be similar?
    The D3 standard tyre is a 255/60R18. More sidewall than the D4 standard.

You can fit a 265/60R18 to the D3 with no issues at all other than that your fuel consumption apparently gets worse, but only because your odometer isn't exaggerating distance by 10% anymore: with the slightly larger tyre the speedo error is only 1 or 2%.

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    The D3 standard tyre is a 255/60R18. More sidewall than the D4 standard.
    Thanks for clarifying. Seems my research was incorrect.
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

Hi all,

If some of you recall I recently purchased a Disco 4 V8. I absolutely love this vehicle so thank you all so much for the advice.

I am however doing a trip from Luderitz to Walvis later this year and the more I read the more I worry about taking the Disco. I first reached out to the tour operator for advice and asked them if they had any knowledge of how this Disco does on the trip. Their answer: "Agg we normally just have Toyotas"

So here I am reaching out for some advice. Essentially it boils down to two main issues: Fuel and tires.

Fuel. The total distance of the trip is 750km and most of the forums seem to show that I need to cater for 3km/l for a V8 like mine. This means that I need to carry a total of 250litres with me. I dont have a long range tank and the tour guides suggest keeping as much weight off the roof as possible. So here I am contemplating putting 160 litres!! of fuel (8 jerry cans) in the back of my vehicle which sounds like driving a bomb on wheels. Do I really need this much fuel and if so how should I transport it?

I read a shockin post from Jorrie (http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=33648) where he did the same trip in a D3 V8 and averaged 1.2kms/l. I simply cannot take the Disco if that will be the case.

Next up, Tires: There are so many negative posts about the stock 19" rims that the D4 comes with and once again Jorrie had a horrible time in his D3 and blames a lot of it on the 19" rims and tires. Fitting 18" rims sounds great but comes at quite a cost. Will I really struggle on the 19" rims to the extent that taking the Disco just doesnt make sense?

Assuming that I can get by with the 19" tires and my Hankook Dynapro ATM's are up to the job I need to look at spares. Do I have to get a spare rim or can I just take the bare tire along?

There are some articles where they have taken the V8 on a trip like this but little is mentioned about performance. e.g. http://showme.co.za/lifestyle/sand-paradise/

So really the question I am really asking is if my Disco as it is now is up to the job? Kitting it out with a aux tank and 6x18" rims is a distant option but that is going to require like R50k+.

The worst part of this is that my father keeps telling me to just take his Prado 120 which is terribly insulting. But the Prado with its 180 litre fuel tank and 17" tires is starting to seem like a better vehicle for the terrain. The thought of admitting that the Prado is better though is killing me from the inside.

Help me please!!
    How about those pioneer plastic tanks available at places like makro for fuel. Strap them down in boot / passenger footwell.

And either borrow smaller rims and tyres or sell / swop your current set.

Cant see it costing anything close to R50k.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

Surely not all the 750km is on dunes? Because that would affect your fuel requirements.
    That being said I would seriously consider putting in the long range tank and get the spare wheel carrier. I don't like carrying fuel in the vehicle in any sort of can. On my D4 V8 that was probably the best mod we made.
    Based on a short 2 day trail on the Namibian dunes it took me a while to get used to the D4 in the soft dune sand. I seem to remember I gave up using it in auto & sand mode, and rather stuck it in sporttronic & low range and changed gears myself. And I have the 18" rims.
    The BIGGEST problem I think is the sheer weight of the D4. Its a monster of a vehicle - once its up and going then no problem. But pulling off in soft sand at a slight incline was interesting to say the least. Part of the problem is probably inexperience - we usually play on rock and mud here in KZN!
    1998 Defender Tdi Hard Top with ARB rear locker aka Slasher
    2004 Disco 2 V8 GS with 4" lift and 35" tyres plus a couple of little extras aka Goat
    2012 Disco 4 V8 HSE aka Rocky

Thanks Oilrag. I am happy to spend some time learning to get the most out of the vehicle on the sand so thanks for the tip. It does concern me that you had enough trouble with the 18" tires. Wonder if there really is much difference between the the 19's and the 18's?
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

Thanks Oilrag. I am happy to spend some time learning to get the most out of the vehicle on the sand so thanks for the tip. It does concern me that you had enough trouble with the 18" tires. Wonder if there really is much difference between the the 19's and the 18's?
    Only reason I got the 18" was to have a higher sidewall and reduce blowout risk. The thought of hitting a pothole with a 2.8T vehicle towing a 2T offroad caravan with my family of 6 on board made be rethink the 19" rim. I put on 265/65x18 tyres which is actually a larger diameter tyre. Odo and speedo auto corrected for the new diameter after around 2 days of driving. Guess it uses the SATNAV for that. Got the suspension controller as well off Baben which was also a great mod - but you can use rods as well. I just wanted to have direct control so went for the electronic solution
    Last edited by Oilrag; 2016/04/09 at 04:07 PM.
    2004 Disco 2 V8 GS with 4" lift and 35" tyres plus a couple of little extras aka Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Oilrag View Post
    Only reason I got the 18" was to have a higher sidewall and reduce blowout risk. The thought of hitting a pothole with a 2.8T vehicle towing a 2T offroad caravan with my family of 6 on board made be rethink the 19" rim. I put on 265/65x18 tyres which is actually a larger diameter tyre. Odo and speedo auto corrected for the new diameter after around 2 days of driving. Guess it uses the SATNAV for that. Got the suspension controller as well off Baben which was also a great mod - but you can use rods as well. I just wanted to have direct control so went for the electronic solution
    There are probably many reasons why a 18" is a better choice than a 19" tyre for that application.. But I am not sure that a blow out is one of them in a tubeless tyre. I would guess exactly the opposite. The whole point of lower profile tyres is smaller stronger/rigid less susceptible sidewalls.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    There are probably many reasons why a 18" is a better choice than a 19" tyre for that application.. But I am not sure that a blow out is one of them in a tubeless tyre. I would guess exactly the opposite. The whole point of lower profile tyres is smaller stronger/rigid less susceptible sidewalls.
    Hit a pothole once on the notorious Bethal-Standerton road at around 60 km/h. 2 LHS tyres blew out immediately. Once its happened to you then you take a different look at low profile tyres

D3's 255/60r18 is the same size as D4's 255/55R19 but d4's sidewall is 9% less due to larger rim
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Prev 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb M/T

Daranger

I havent done that dune route nor do I own a D3 or D4.
    From my understanding a fairly crucial part of getting stuck is ground clearance or getting your belly hung up
    The D4 goes to normal ride height over 50 kph so some johnson rods could go a long way to solving at least some of the issues

i.e Allowing you to keep the high setting even if doing 80 pkh or more

But yes the injustice of going in another vehicle other than your own is something I wouldnt even do

I have on 2 occasions kept 100 litres of petrol in jerry cans inside the vehicle for trips lasting 7 days and I didnt think it was ghastly at all
    When a can was empty I didnt close the lid so as not to get a bomb

Default Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/....php?p=2327097

I took the D3 diesel with 18" - and it did well. Car very heavy and somewhat under-tyred (too small standard tyres) needing an aggressive driving style to get up the dunes. Please experiment with terrain response, and don't think only 'sand mode' works (for me Rock crawl worked well on difficult sections, but controversial statement I know).

All vehicles takes a knock in the harsh conditions (sea salt, sand and dust) and don't expect the guides to understand the Disco's electronics... The community over there is very 'Toyota loyal' and don't care for anything else really. We had a Puma Defender and V8 D3 on our trip which both did great (D3 V8 on 'oversize' tyres and suspension lift). One Hilux broke down and was left behind (after the Hilux broke we endured much less LR bashing around the camp fires ).

Get the 'Disco-East' rods because you need ground clearance above 40km/hr.

I took 100 liters of fuel in Jerry cans which was placed low in cabin (behind seats) and decanted fuel into car as soon as possible - no leaks and no odour, and great for a low center of gravity.

If you can 'train' locally and get to know your vehicle in sand before you go its best (I went to Brakkeduine and the experience was invaluable).

I think if you can fit 18" compomotive rims you'll be in the best position with a D4 for dunes. Deflate to 0.8 (1 bar made me struggle) but beware side wall damage at such low pressure (I lost a Pirelli ATR).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NS406; 2016/04/09 at 05:04 PM.
    Jeep GC WK2 - 3.6L - 8-speed

The Compomotives should be close to 10k per rim now with the exchange rate.
    Then its still tyres...so your R50 000 estimate is close if even a little low.
    I had the same concerns and having lost tyres in remote places before decided against taking the Disco on a dune trip.
    I reckon if you can swing the Compomotives and fit Discoeast rods, it will be unstoppable.
    Land Cruiser V8 D/C
    2013 Discovery 4 SE
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara(TJ)-Sold
    Freelander 2 HSE-Sold
    2014 JKU Rubicon-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by jono1981 View Post
    The Compomotives should be close to 10k per rim now with the exchange rate.
    Then its still tyres...so your R50 000 estimate is close if even a little low.
    I had the same concerns and having lost tyres in remote places before decided against taking the Disco on a dune trip.
    I reckon if you can swing the Compomotives and fit Discoeast rods, it will be unstoppable.
    If you have a limited budget you dont go for the most expensive rims out there. And you sell off your old rims.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    If you have a limited budget you dont go for the most expensive rims out there. And you sell off your old rims.
    There is no other options for Disco 4 at this stage.
    The Disco 3 wheel with spacers has also been discussed and from what i could gather, it is a no go.
    Land Cruiser V8 D/C
    2013 Discovery 4 SE
    Freelander 2 HSE-Sold
    2014 JKU Rubicon-Sold

Jip i got stuck in the Richtersveld after my spare wheel also punctured about 100m from where i lost the first tyre.
    A friend had to drive to the nearest town to fetch a trailer and got towed back on a trailer by my friend's Hilux.
    Much to his amusement :-)
    I love the Disco and i will keep it but not going tooooo far off the beaten track again.
    The 19 low profiles really limit the vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Land Cruiser V8 D/C
    2013 Discovery 4 SE
    Freelander 2 HSE-Sold
    2014 JKU Rubicon-Sold

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast