Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

That is why I have 9 enamelled black Disco 4 19" rims and two silver matching Disco 4 19" rims, mostly shod with General Grabber AT tyres.
    All up for sale R2500.00 each if taken in sets of 5 or individually R3k each.

Busy replacing all of them with 18" rims and BF Goodrich KO2 at 265/65/18.

Reasons is I burst a nearly new Grabber on a pot hole between Nata and Maun. It is not the fault of the Grabber it is because you can not get anything more than a 55 profile two ply tyre for these poxy 19" rims. Because of the speed rating has to be 235 kph. I made enquiries in New York last month and nobody stocks a 19" AT tyre, 18's and 20's only.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Speak of the Devil. Hi Peter.

Really interested to come by soon and see how your mod goes. Out of interest would you not be better off with a larger spacer (like 32mm) which would enable you to completely clear the caliper?
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    Off road height you can drive all day long....if you stick to less than 55km/h. Beyond 55km/h it will drop to standard height.

If you drive more than 140km/h the Disco automatically drops from standard height to an even lower height.

But there is a R500 "mod" around this (as explained earlier), pop in those suspension rods and the car thinks it is still in "Standard" road height whilst it actually is in "Extended/Off road" height. This means you can cruise at whatever speed for as long as you want because the Disco's brain believes it is in "Road/Standard" height.

Thus, you have a 4x4 with ground clearance almost the same as a Defender's and higher than most lifted other 4x4's but you can still do 140km/h in absolute luxury and silence!

What does it cost to properly lift a Prado/Cruiser/Patrol/Fortuner/Hilux to the same ground clearance? Not R500 and then you will have an even worse ride quality where as with the Disco you still have that magic carpet ride....
    Impressive indeed. For anything better you will have to buy a 14 year old Touareg I! It allows you to go 80km/h in off road level and then has X-tra level to spare. No mods required.

(I am licensed to yank your chain as I drive both)
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by Daranger View Post
    Speak of the Devil. Hi Peter.

Really interested to come by soon and see how your mod goes. Out of interest would you not be better off with a larger spacer (like 32mm) which would enable you to completely clear the caliper?

Very much so! Peter Bee on the forum has a Disco 4 V8 with spacers on and he has 285/65/18 standard rims and Cooper tyres. No issues and the tyre does not rub on the wheel arch nor does it extend passed it. The brilliant thing is I have found an engineering co in PTA that manufacture these spacers and they are very reasonable.
    It is only the front wheels that are affected and no problems with the back wheels.

Take Care
    Peter Street

Daranger,
    I know extra weight on your roof rack is the enemy when in the dunes, but boy ,it is so much easier having the tyre on a rim when you need to use it. It is also easier using the spare on the roof, compared to the spare under the vehicle, especially if you are in thick sand.

I have an extra rim with tyre on , as well as extra tyres without rim if you would like to use one for your trip (19 inch)
    Cheers
    Graeme
    DISCOVERY 4 SDV6 SE

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    The brilliant thing is I have found an engineering co in PTA that manufacture these spacers and they are very reasonable

thanks Peter, please can you share this shop's details, it may be worth it to organise a group buy to bring down the per unit cost?
    Last edited by Orxy; 2016/04/13 at 10:08 AM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by jabula1 View Post
    I have an extra rim with tyre on , as well as extra tyres without rim if you would like to use one for your trip (19 inch)
    Cheers
    Graeme
    Graeme that is very generous, might just take you up on the offer closer to the time. Thank you.
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

Graeme that is very generous, might just take you up on the offer closer to the time. Thank you.

Hi Daranger

I spent the morning with Gavin Pike at Broad Acres fitment center getting tyre prices and looking at options. Confusing and mind boggling. If I went with my option to drop rim size of 18" I would need to buy 8 rims because my offroad trailer has matching wheels. So to stick to my pattern I would need to buy 8 tyres, my tyre of choice would be BFG KO2's. Price I got R4600.00 plus sot buy 8 would cost R45600.00 plus 8 rims @ 12k plus 2k for spacers. R59600.00 just to do the mod. After I composed myself with a bit of nicotine I asked Gavin what is the best alternative, he pointed out to the Maxxis 980 LT255/55/19 which was standing right next to the Grabber XL same size. The tread pattern on the 980 is very similar to the BFG with wider gaps so it is border line MT. We then went into and compared the specification's, the 980 has a 400k heavier load bearing than the Grabber and the speed rating is 180kph opposed to 235kph on the Grabber. As explained to me is that is indicative that the 980 although is also 2 ply as all of the others it has a much stronger compound than the Grabber and then when I pressed against the side walls the Grabber was a hell of a lot softer than the 980 in fact I couldn't press in the side walls at all on the 980.
    To sum it up there is no doubt the Grabber because it is locally produced is the cheapest AT tyre on the market compare to the other big names like Coopers and Duratracs and likewise Maxxis are all imported and are subject to dollar rand exchange, is not that the imported three LT tyres are true 4x4 offroad tyres and the Grabber a SUV tyre.
    I place an order for 5 980's which I will save R45k plus and my factory fitted TPMS system will work and I will no longer be selling my 19's but now have 4 brand new XS 18" rims for sale with the chrome hub caps for what I paid R6k.

Take Care
    Peter Street

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    now have 4 brand new XS 18" rims for sale with the chrome hub caps for what I paid R6k.
    Initially thought this was a great option but it seems that Peter Bee wasn't able to get the XS wheels to fit on the V8 http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=241387 and had to go with the D3 18" wheels instead.
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

I drove with my Disco on the beach at Walvisbay and Luderitz, as well as the deep loose sand at Sossus with standard 19" Duratracs tyres deflated to 1 bar without problems. Yes the car was not heavily loaded and it was not dessert dune driving. However, the Disco did well taking its weight into consideration, and that I had to recover a Cruizer.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

Quote Originally Posted by HJB01 View Post
    I drove with my Disco on the beach at Walvisbay and Luderitz, as well as the deep loose sand at Sossus with standard 19" Duratracs tyres deflated to 1 bar without problems. Yes the car was not heavily loaded and it was not dessert dune driving. However, the Disco did well taking its weight into consideration, and that I had to recover a Cruizer.
    Pictures or it didn't happen

Sent from my mobile device
    2007 Prado VX 4.0 V6 - Tiny
    SOLD: 2006 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB - Die Valk

I did the Skeleton Coast trip last year in my D4 V8, so this included lots of beach driving and also over 40km's of dunes from the mouth of the Kunene to get to the Kaokoveld (Hartman's Valley). In the group were a Prado, Pajero, Fortuner's and Hillux as well as my D4 and a Defender. The D4 was nothing short of amazing and it was the only vehicle which did not get stuck - the LR jokes dried up soon enough. BUT I really believe you should do the following: 1)Get yourself those 18" Compomotive rims - you will not be sorry I am sure 2) Fit a 265/65R18 set of tyres - I fitted the Cooper Discoverer AT3's with an 80000km warranty. 3) put your tyre pressure down to 0,8 bar (I was heavily loaded with drawer system, roof racks etc etc so I set the rear tyres at 0.9 bar) 4) Select Sand Setting and switch DSC offf every time you start the car in thick sand (note: the sand setting does not completely disengage DSC and this is a serious problem in very thick sand and dunes 5) Select low range 6) Use manual gear shift and the 6 gears to keep the revs above 2000 RPM or higher depending on the circumstances and don't strain the engine 6) Keep your momentum 7) don't make sudden direction changes (which can also take tyres off rims). 8) For additional peace of mind I highly recommend you put in a decent tyre pressure monitoring system where you can set your own parameters for tyre pressure and temperature warning (the LR system is worthless off road and you need to know if you have a tyre problem before destroying a tyre (saving one tyre will pay for the system) 9) Put in the long range tank - this also lowers the centre of gravity of the car as well and I would avoid carrying dangerous fuel higher up - if you have to decant it as soon as you can). 10) Finally you must address the lowering of the suspension problem. If you continually force the suspension up again you may well suffer compressor failure from overheating. I went for the electronic version by importing the IID Tool from Britpart (see www.lrdirect.com part number DA6406. However, the rods are a much cheaper alternative but requires physical vs computer intervention. The IID Tool also gives you fault diagnostic and clearing ability. If you do all this you will be UNSTOPPABLE in the dunes. That V8 is a monster to be savoured in those conditions. I intend to do the Luderitz to Walvis dunes next year if possible. Good luck!!

Nice report Jeremy, just 2 questions:

1. If the sand mode does not disable DSC totally, what about using rock crawl? When beach launching I noticed that sand mode was not as good as rock crawl.

2. On your IIDtool, how do use this to prevent suspension from lowering? I have one and cannot find these settings?
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    2. On your IIDtool, how do use this to prevent suspension from lowering? I have one and cannot find these settings?

Bruce, to prevent the suspension from lowering, you must raise it beforehand.

For example have Setting 1 set to +50mm. So when I'm about to hit a trail, I just load Setting 1, and stay on Normal height. When I hit an obstacle that requires a bit more clearance, I go to Off-Road height to clear that and then go back down to Normal.

When I'm done with the tail, I just restore the Original setting.

It all works like a bomb!
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Bruce I agree with Oryx. Download the manual on the IID Tool off the Britpart Gap Diagnostics website and page to the Calibration Adjust All section and it explains how to do it. I have two settings (you can have 3) being one for serious off road in dunes, on beaches or in the rocks and another which is an intermediate setting between full off road and normal. As Oryx says when you are in less demanding territory bearing in mind that higher heights means a higher centre of gravity too and wish to reset the original LR settings this is done by just selecting that option.

Further to my previous post I would like to add that while the modifications I proposed are quite expensive I prefer to think of the cost over the life period you use the vehicle and the enhanced abilities, safety and enjoyment you get out of the vehicle during this time.

Thanks guys.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Angry Re: Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    We went into the dunes outside Swakop with Bartho a couple weeks ago. My D4 TDV6 and a D3 v8. Both on 19". Both deflated to 1.2. Take an additional tyre carcass as 19" is very difficult to sorce. We did not do too bad.
    Keep DSC off, gearbox in Sport mode and I had the Mode in Normal setting.
    Both Discos fitted with Baben's Llamms system.
    The v8 was about 20% heavier on fuel than the v6.
    I was getting about 6km/l.
    The Discos are heavy for sand driving, but should do good.
    Fit LR tank and maybe 1 x jerry can. It is worth it. You do not want a JC to start leaking inside your vehicle.
    And you were going to give me a call whilst in Swakop.

@ OP - did this trip ever happen?
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    @ OP - did this trip ever happen?
    So the trip did happen and it was amazing. Sadly I did not do it in the Disco. I stupidly decided to send the vehicle in for a holiday check a few days before I was due to leave. The vehicle went in fine and came out broken, the engine just kept cutting out and they didn't have the parts available to do the repairs. There was no time left before the trip so, to my utter dismay, I had to borrow my fathers Prado. There is still some confusion as to how they stuffed up the vehicle in the shop and it took more than a month to fix it.

Lesson learned, never send a working vehicle in for a checkup close to a trip, do it weeks in advance.

I have been getting the Disco ready for a trip to Botswana and we leaving next week, holiday check was done last month.
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

So the trip did happen and it was amazing. Sadly I did not do it in the Disco. I stupidly decided to send the vehicle in for a holiday check a few days before I was due to leave. The vehicle went in fine and came out broken, the engine just kept cutting out and they didn't have the parts available to do the repairs. There was no time left before the trip so, to my utter dismay, I had to borrow my fathers Prado. There is still some confusion as to how they stuffed up the vehicle in the shop and it took more than a month to fix it.

Lesson learned, never send a working vehicle in for a checkup close to a trip, do it weeks in advance.

I have been getting the Disco ready for a trip to Botswana and we leaving next week, holiday check was done last month.
    Sorry to hear about that... but nice to hear it's ready for Bots. Have you done the long range fuel tank mod now with the spare wheel carrier?
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast