Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I always wondering, when driving behind a Disco, how can one drive off with it, as the rear axle is very close to the ground

Rear axle ground clearance is 216mm on "Standard" height. Better than its rivals.

Something like 270-285mm on "Off road " height.

Don't understand your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post

Rear axle ground clearance is 216mm on "Standard" height. Better than its rivals.

Landies can increase and decrease their axle ground clearance?

Edit. Jip, see now it is on the independent suspension.
    Last edited by Woestynbrak; 2016/04/10 at 08:09 PM.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

I think you should have bought the Pajero... Just my unbiased opinion

Sent from my mobile device
    2007 Prado VX 4.0 V6 - Tiny
    SOLD: 2006 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB - Die Valk

Also found this.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=247897

Enjoy but drive safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritteling View Post
    Also found this.

Enjoy but drive safe.

being the OP of that thread i can tell you you need a lot of power to go up a dune and still have enough momentum to launch a heavy vehicle like a discovery like that.

We were in the dunes the weekend before that mishap and we had a D4 diesel V6 with us and i was amazed. we where prepping for the lud-WB trip end of this month and i took the guys in to get to know their vehicles.

i must say the disco was standard and the low profile tires are a bit of an issue, we started out with 1 bar in the tires and had to deflate to 0.8 after battling a bit in the loose hot midday sand. the disco poped a bead after getting a bit sideways down a slipface and the tire destroyed the TPMS sensor in the rim. but further than that the d4 did great!!

take the D4 and enjoy the trip!

those links look like bees knees and i will investigate them further.
    Last edited by Kavanji; 2016/04/10 at 09:58 PM.
    V51JP
    Namboyz Rule

O, that answers it. How far/fast can you drive in off road?
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Off road height you can drive all day long....if you stick to less than 55km/h. Beyond 55km/h it will drop to standard height.

If you drive more than 140km/h the Disco automatically drops from standard height to an even lower height.

But there is a R500 "mod" around this (as explained earlier), pop in those suspension rods and the car thinks it is still in "Standard" road height whilst it actually is in "Extended/Off road" height. This means you can cruise at whatever speed for as long as you want because the Disco's brain believes it is in "Road/Standard" height.

Thus, you have a 4x4 with ground clearance almost the same as a Defender's and higher than most lifted other 4x4's but you can still do 140km/h in absolute luxury and silence!

What does it cost to properly lift a Prado/Cruiser/Patrol/Fortuner/Hilux to the same ground clearance? Not R500 and then you will have an even worse ride quality where as with the Disco you still have that magic carpet ride....

Default Disco 4 in Namibia - advice please

I know LR probably had a good reason to drop suspension above 40km/h, but I think this engineering choice lead to more pump failures than they care to admit... Anyway, cheap workaround as discussed is available.

Other great little features I liked about Disco in the dunes:

1. 'Shift on the fly' low range to high range. Sometimes the pace picks up a little in the dune convoy. You may still be in low range, but high range may be a better choice right now... No need to stop (as almost all 4x4's need to), simply push gears to N and flip switch to H-range without stopping and get back to D (check manual for maximum speed this can be done at). Very useful.

2. Hill descent control. When you find yourself in high range with a sudden slipface descent, it is a great and quick safety feature, selecting Low Range is probably safer ultimately, but for less severe gradients, low range may not be necessary (use HDC with caution obviously). You could also 'shift in the fly' to low range, but speeds are lower than low-to-high shifts.

But it really looks slick (and saves precious fuel) if you slip gear ranges 'on the move' for best results, when most 4x4s need to stop-change-go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NS406; 2016/04/11 at 07:04 AM.
    Jeep GC WK2 - 3.6L - 8-speed

Also found this.

Enjoy but drive safe.

####..... you better not take the Disco because it now appears that they roll over in the dunes!! No other vehicles do this.

Just had a look on the Front Runner website. R8k for the long range tank. Well worth it.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

What does it cost to properly lift a Prado/Cruiser/Patrol/Fortuner/Hilux to the same ground clearance? Not R500 and then you will have an even worse ride quality where as with the Disco you still have that magic carpet ride....
    Will not argue on ride quality!

And I dont know those vehicles either.! All I know the few guys that I know that having these vehicle have a equip hilux or cruisers also. But I've seen guys do Koakoveld with the vehicles so dunes should not be an issue.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    ####..... you better not take the Disco because it now appears that they roll over in the dunes!! No other vehicles do this.

Just had a look on the Front Runner website. R8k for the long range tank. Well worth it.
    Haha. Yip only landy's have this problem!

I've heard some bad stories of how you can become 'dune blind' with people really hurting themselves and their vehicles.

I've heard some bad stories of how you can become 'dune blind' with people really hurting themselves and their vehicles.
    Experienced this myself whilst the wind was howling. It forms a sort of dust storm but only 1meter above the sand's surface and you can not really see the dunes properly.

Next thing I realised my vehicle is going more to the left than straight forward (almost like flying blind and you realise on your instruments that your plane is banking left...) and seconds later I was going down a slip face but with my passenger doors pointing down!!

Don't know why or how but instinctively I rammed the accelerator to the floor and slowly turned left to get out of the slide and managed to save the situation....seriously scary stuff!!
    Last edited by Regard; 2016/04/11 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks BruceT, will definitely look into fitting the Frontrunner LR tank. Does seem like some other brands (like this one) seem to fit a much larger tank capacity than the Frontrunner one (108 litres vs 80). Not sure if one can get one of these bigger tanks in SA.

I too am shocked to see that only Landy's seem to suffer from an explicable desire to go rolling down the dune to their death with the driver of the vehicle not being responsible in any way whatsoever. I guess I will just have to take my chances in the Disco and hope it doesn't spontaneously commit suicide in front of all these Toyotas, that would be very embarrassing.
    Last edited by Daranger; 2016/04/11 at 11:05 AM.
    Daranger
    - Disco 4 V8

I also forgot about Landyworx who have designed their own tank also. Check with them on the size.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2016/04/11 at 11:09 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

if you need a spare wheel carrier, saw this one from 7Landies. Not sure how it compares to the Frontrunner one, but it is cheaper at R6000!

http://7landies.co.za/
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Take the prado. Its not about the car, it is about the memories. You can comfort your landy ego while watching your amazing photos after the fact.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nicc776; 2016/04/11 at 08:01 PM.
    2011 fortuner 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    if you need a spare wheel carrier, saw this one from 7Landies. Not sure how it compares to the Frontrunner one, but it is cheaper at R6000!

http://7landies.co.za/

That catch to keep the spare wheel in place would irritate myself and especially swambo more than anything and it looks cheap.

There are only two options I would consider.....the Front Runner one and the Landyworks/Gasman one.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2016/04/12 at 07:27 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

So I know I am coming into this a bit late, have been travelling. I have a SDV6 HSE. I carried 4 x 20L Jerry Cans on the roof but to be honest this was an overkill, only ended up using 2 of them. Stopped to fill up at every station we passed and on the entire trip only encountered 1 station that didn't have fuel.

I did a 12,000km Trip in December 2014. From Jhb - Moremi - Victoria Falls - Caprivi - Sossusvlei - Fish River canyon - Cape Town - PE - Durban - Kruger - Jhb.

I towed a full loaded Echo 3 trailer, and a fully loaded roof rack on the car. My vehicle has factory 19" rims on with 19 Good Year Wrangler Duratracs.

On the open road I averaged 12.8L / 100km
    In Xakanaxa & Savuti I averaged 14.0L / 100km
    Overall trip average was 13.3L / 100km

Hope these stats help. If you want to see more on the build of the car, see the link in my signature
    Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2016/04/12 at 07:53 AM.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Rob, the trip the OP wants to do is between Luderitz and Walvis Bay through the "Spergebied" /"Diamond Area 2". There are no petrol in the desert and you need to carry all you need with you.

Although just less than 600km, it is ALL IN THE DUNES 24/7 and consumption is about 3km/l bets case...

I know we have established that the Disco is suspect to uncontrolled rolling in the dunes... But it seems those LC toyotas like to bend a bit in the middle http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=248485

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast