Namiri Plains- Serengeti

Default Namiri Plains- Serengeti

Hello, you all,

We are going on a self drive and have 6 nights in the Serengeti.
    We sleep on a special campsites.
    Are we allowed to self drive in the Namiri Plains area?
    Is the end of July a good area for this part of the serengeti?
    I know the herds are in the north, but there is less traffic over there ? ( that s very imprtant for us )
    From Namiri Plains what s the closest special campsite?

Hope again on your advise, thanks Sylvia

Default Re: Namiri Plains- Serengeti

From a map, the Namiri Plains are just east of Seronera. If there are roads there, why do you think you wouldn't be allowed to drive there?

As you know, the herds will be further north in July.

Hello Wazungu.

I know where the Namiri Pains area is.
    For the past 20 years or so, this part of the Serengeti has been closed to everyone other than researchers to preserve its pristine condition as a truly wild place, allowing the wildlife and fragile short-grass plains to proliferate in a protected environment.

The project stopped in 2015 and from 2014 there is 1 lodge operating in that area.
    I like to know if it s posible to self drive in this area?

Hi Sylvia, as you know we were in this area of Serengeti in July 2015. We spent 2 nights in Ngare Nanyuki Special campsite no 1, which is as close to the Namiri Plains and Soit Le Motonye Rock as you are likely to find. It lies near the Ngare Nanyuki River, east of Nyamara and Wandamu Kopjes, possibly about 10-15km from the Rock. The GPS co-ordinates we took there are S02 29,316 E35 00,286.

There appears to be a single dirt track along the area of the Namiri Plains towards Soit Le Motonye Rock and yes this road is open to the public. You are correct that there is very little vehicle traffic in this area. The game viewing vehicles from the many Seronera Lodges seldom venture further than 10-20km from Seronera.

We saw a number of separate lion prides and cheetahs on a long drive from the west from the Masaai, Wandamu and Nyamara Kopjes, along the small Ngare Nanyuki River towards Soit Le Motonye Rock. I presume we passed through the Namiri Plains. The road then goes as far as the Barafu Kopjes where we turned south to Gol Kopjes.

From Gol Kopjes it was good to turn north to the Seronera River (which is a little busier) and then via Masaai Kopjes and Turner Springs back to Ngare Nanyuki Camp. The numbers of animals obviously vary from year to year depending on local rainfall variations but around the Namiri Plains there were huge numbers of Thomsons and Grants Gazelles as well as Topi, Eland and others. Really very lovely and probably the part of Serengeti we enjoyed the most.

In researching our trip we had great difficulty finding out exactly where the special campsites are. The problem is that they open and close and some are booked out for long periods by mobile and semi-mobile camps and operators. There have also been name changes. Even at the Tanapa booking offices in Arusha they were uncertain as to their positions. We could find no single source indicating the names and locations of the Special Campsites, some of them have new names. The best, though incomplete source we found was Veronica Roodt's map and booklet on the Serengeti.

The Turner Springs and Sera Special Campsites are also in the vicinity but in the busier area further west and are mostly booked out long term by operators these days.

July is a good time in the Western Corridor and there you will not easily do better than the Kira Wira Special Campsite no 1, near to the Grumeti River.

Please if you do find a better reference for the Serengeti Special Campsites could you post it here?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hello Stan,

Thank you for responding and what a great info.
    I m very happy with this tips and the GPS coordinate.
    Gps coordinates from the special campsites are very hard to find indeed.
    I have got hold on the Veronica map.
    I copied 2 pages with tips and tools etc. about different special campsites from people on different forums ( including you ) but the locations are not very clear.
    I post the locations if i can find them.
    And when we are there we note the Gps coordinates and post them on the forum, could be handy.
    Thanks for helping me

Out of pure interest, I have done some research on the name "Namiri Plains". This name does not show on any map of the Serengeti, or in any scientific research document or book that I can find. The area that Sylvia has asked about seems to be either called the eastern Serengeti Plains or Soit Le Motonyi.

I do not believe that there is an area of the Serengeti called that, but the new-ish luxury camp owned by Asilia Africa has been called "Namiri Plains". Everything points to the possibility that "namiri" means big cat in Kiswahili. A search on Google Earth (using an image I found of the apparent location) shows that the luxury camp "Namiri Plains" is about 15 kms south-east of where Stan camped at Ngare Nanyuki special campsite. It is also on the Ngare Nanyuki river.

It is also true that part of the area that Sylvia was asking about had been reserved for researchers, but this is no longer the case.

I also found this great article from National Geographic.
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...s/quammen-text

W.W. it seems that our research concurs then. We found extensive herds of gazelles in the Soit Le Motonyi Rock area and took a drive there twice. There were no other vehicles there to speak of and also plenty of predators in the vicinity of the Ngare Nanyuki River.

We had this kill entirely to ourselves as well as the 2 cheetah sightings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016-10.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	397905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011-13.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	397906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	080-3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	397907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	038-8.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	397908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	028-9.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	397909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134-2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	397910  
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2016/04/06 at 10:31 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hi Sylvia,

The GT Serengeti map, is by far the map they gives you more information on the location of SC´s, nevertheless no GPS coordinates, and I really do not Know how accurate may it be. VR maps although precise do not contemplate all Serengeti´s SC´s. Myself preparing the trip for next October and "battling" with location´s. Further, and as Stan said, they keep on changing locations, from season to season.So one never knows!

Happy planning!

AP.

Sylvia, just a heads up - it seems that only the Main track is in use around Namiri Plains, TANAPA just closed the use of all other tracks in the area. Nobody is really sure why but the rumour is that there were some people driving all over the place in the area. Even the high paying guests of Namiri Plains Camp have to just stick to one track now. Hopefully this will resolve itself by the time you visit - so better keep an eye on the situation.

Hello Cheetah80, I just read the same thing on another forum. It seems to be correct. On that forum they mentioned it was getting too busy with self drivers etc. in the area of te Namiri plains. Self drivers can only use 1 main track. I also had a chat with Asilia Africa about the area but when I told them we are self drivers they stopped to respond.

Hello Wazungu; My interest in the Namiri Plains was coming from the article from National Geographic that you also found, sounds like a great area.

Hello Stan; what an amazing pictures, you two where really lucky to see this kill.

Hello Apfac; We now have both maps. We will go to Tanapa office a few days before we enter the Serengeti and see what special campsites are available. Even then I ve read you are not guaranteed that your booked campsites are free when you arrive. I try to read as much information I can get about campsites, locations etc. to be informed.

Thank you all, have a good weekend. Sylvia