Commander or Companion - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Commander or Companion

Quote Originally Posted by borderpost View Post
    Boesman for me that backdoore is a major problem.We are a few friends all with different carevans.We do travel and camp together very often.One of them do have a companion and every morning or even sometimes at night wakes us all up when he opens that backdoore.He just let it fall down with a ###### geraas.Either than that it is a great carevan.We do have a comander because my wife didnt like the idea of that back doore.I also took out the step of the comander on the one doore and made it a solid doore with a loose step.It is much better without that step getting in and out when nature calls.
    We open the back door when we arrive and close it when we leave. All other times we either use the shadecloth or canvas door.
    2012 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (Snowflake) Hers
    2012 Fortuner 3.0 D4-d (Olaf) Mine
    2017 Afrispoor Cheetah
    2015 Conqueror Companion (Indlovu) SOLD
    2008 Disco 3 TDV6 S gone to Landy heaven

A canvas door makes a lot of sense. Is that an extra? I know the mozzie nets are std...

Default Commander or Companion

Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    Francois, I see you tow with a 120 Prado. How are you finding it?

Prado 150. Like a dream!! That 4.0V6 engine is a beaut and does not mind to work hard.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2016/03/31 at 06:44 PM.
    Francois

The Conquerors too have zip up doors if required. Not so lekker if its zero degrees outside though.

Just saying...

:-)
    I have posted pictures and proof of us camping in - 10 degrees. The roof and bed sections have only canvas so the canvas on the door is a non issue. We had proper duvets so we were snug as a bug . If the Companion has the canvas door option it would be a no brainer to take it.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

[QUOTE=Kooskop;3177057]Ha ha...sure. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing . Just to put it out there...the Bush Lapa has a zip door option at the back door so no need to open and close the doors at night .

With the Commander I found myself spending a lot of time setting up and with maintenance once back home. I would often sit facing the van admiring it. It does look bad ass... The towing experience on the other hand....

The Bush Lapa takes no time and effort. Everything works as it is supposed to. It feels like an extension of the towing vehicle. I ended up turning my chair away from the van to "experience His beauty" as per the Bush Lapa slogan
    Last edited by Francois111; 2016/03/31 at 06:35 PM.
    Francois

Ek het dit al genoem was 100% seker ek gaan bushlapa koop tot ek hom gesien het en gebrek aan spasie was n teleurstelling. Het nie ons manier van kamp gepas nie en is soos in reguit conqueror toe en Commander gekoop. Nog nie vir n dag spyt daaroor nie. Die diens wat ek van Conqueror kry is ongelooflik.... After sale service is baie goed in my ondervinding.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2016/03/31 at 07:11 PM.
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    We open the back door when we arrive and close it when we leave. All other times we either use the shadecloth or canvas door.
    We do exactly the same, the back door is opened when we arrive and closed when we leave. We simply zip up in the evenings and if it's really hot we use the mozzie net only.

As for space inside we really only go in to change clothes or to sleep, much as one would do with a trailertop drop down tent type, so no real issues with space in my opinion. We spend all our time outside when we camp and the exterior kitchen and storage areas work well for us.

I looked at the Bush Lapa too due to the good reviews in this forum. I opted for the Companion however as its L Shape tent is much taller than the BL tent and I'm a 2M longbody.

Pop over to a Conqueror outlet and ask them to show you how to set them both up. Take your time with the sales chaps and perhaps rent one or both before deciding.

I'd suggest going with the lightest and smallest option you can get away with. You'll use it more often and you'll be happy to tow it further than a big heavy bugger. IMHO.

I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have gone for the Comfort instead....
    Last edited by Craigananzi; 2016/03/31 at 10:50 PM.

Congratulations with the Commander. I think you made a good choice as it is an awesome tried and tested caravan ready for the bush straight from the showroom. As with anything, how you maintain it will influence its longterm condition.
    <insert all your cars, your wife's car, your kids pram model and your underpants size here - apparently it adds value and boosts you ego>

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Francois, I see you tow with a 120 Prado. How are you finding it?

The commander is stable behind the Prado with the new suspension(tough dog shocks and better coils). Can tow comfortable between 110-120km/h. Fully loaded as well no problem. I don't use a stabilizer. Tow the commander with ease and I have been through very difficult terrain. Botswana several times Namibia, northern parts of west coast etc. The commander takes the rough stuff with ease and never had a problem(except for a broken camil shock once).
    Last edited by Francois111; 2016/03/31 at 08:27 PM.
    Francois

A canvas door makes a lot of sense. Is that an extra? I know the mozzie nets are std...
    Yes, if I recall correctly it is. Mozzie net and canvas are one unit and you zip apart whichever you want to use.
    2017 Afrispoor Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by Craigananzi View Post
    Pop over to a Conqueror outlet and ask them to show you how to set them both up. Take your time with the sales chaps and perhaps rent one or both before deciding.
    Whichever unit you choose you are in for a serious amount of cash. The last thing you want is to end up with a unit that you do not like. Before we made our final decision we hired both and took them away. That gives you an opportunity to properly assess what works for you and what doesn't.
    2017 Afrispoor Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Congratulations with the Commander. I think you made a good choice as it is an awesome tried and tested caravan ready for the bush straight from the showroom. As with anything, how you maintain it will influence its longterm condition.
    Thanks George, cant wait to take delivery!! Will post some pics

I was reading this thread with interest as we are currently deciding and wondered if there was any updated feedback? We are a family of 4 and currently looking at either the Commander or the Companion or the Miskruier. In September we will be camping in Botswana in some pretty remote areas.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    Yes, if I recall correctly it is. Mozzie net and canvas are one unit and you zip apart whichever you want to use.

Canvas door for a companion is a good idea. Do you know where I can buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bron & Lino View Post
    I was reading this thread with interest as we are currently deciding and wondered if there was any updated feedback? We are a family of 4 and currently looking at either the Commander or the Companion or the Miskruier. In September we will be camping in Botswana in some pretty remote areas.
    We found the front bed on the Commander to be too small to be of any use... Companion all the way...
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bron & Lino View Post
    what tow vehicle do you have? Check weights of the vans etc.100 plus kg's makes a big difference when towing. Can you move it on your own, will your wife and kids be able to hitch and go if something happens to you whilst camping?
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2