eyes in the west cape

Default eyes in the west cape

I am trying to find an affordable 4x4 to use as a daily drive to varsity and as an off road vehicle to get around on game farms and mountain passes.

I've found this Suzuki Vitara in Somerset West, but can't get to it to check it out (I live in Port Elizabeth). Is there anyone that might be able to do me a solid and give it a quick look to see if it's worth what they are asking?

( http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...50910032846109 )

Default Re: eyes in the west cape

Sorry, can't help to go look at the Suzuki.

Just thought it would be worth a mention, you might also look around out for an Isuzu Frontier? The 280's are light on diesel and very capable off road. Friend bought a '99 model last year for R62k. More km's on the clock than the Suzuki in your post, but was in a good condition, serviced regularly.
    Last edited by avk; 2016/03/24 at 11:37 AM.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Discovery 1 TDi.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Discovery 1 TDi.
    Good buy. But slow. To slow for a young person with a heavy foot. I broke mine.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Thumbs up Re: eyes in the west cape

Quote Originally Posted by Nichoals View Post
    I am trying to find an affordable 4x4 to use as a daily drive to varsity and as an off road vehicle to get around on game farms and mountain passes.

I've found this Suzuki Vitara in Somerset West, but can't get to it to check it out (I live in Port Elizabeth). Is there anyone that might be able to do me a solid and give it a quick look to see if it's worth what they are asking?

( http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...50910032846109 )
    Dude,

Go and speak to Barto (Zantus on forum)
    http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...90910010610209

He has done plenty of work to it.

If you buy a cheap 4x4 then you will need to spend lots of money and time fixing it.

If you don't buy the Zook from Barto he will at least have some advice for you.

Otherwise, go and speak to Andre (Jabujeep on the forum). He has Coastal Hire next to Kretzmarine & the Bru Bar.
    He has a nice nissan patrol diesel for sale:
    http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...50910018157609

I would not buy an old turbo diesel anything.
    I would buy an old diesel something.
    I would buy an old petrol something.
    Last edited by Racer-X; 2016/03/24 at 12:28 PM.
    Owned
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    Sold
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

Nicho,
    have they emailed or faxed the service book and have you done all yr homework? The mileage is too good to be true - so where lies the bluff - what else is not true?
    Only trying to help but even if I go out and look I know from many yrs that too many things are hidden if the mileage is not true.
    Can you tell us more pse.
    George
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    Dude, Go and speak to Barto (Zantus on forum) http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...90910010610209 He has done plenty of work to it. If you buy a cheap 4x4 then you will need to spend lots of money and time fixing it. If you don't buy the Zook from Barto he will at least have some advice for you. Otherwise, go and speak to Andre (Jabujeep on the forum). He has Coastal Hire next to Kretzmarine & the Bru Bar. He has a nice nissan patrol diesel for sale: http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...50910018157609 I would not buy an old turbo diesel anything. I would buy an old diesel something. I would buy an old petrol something.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    What he said......
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

AVK, I've been looking into the Frontiers but have been waned against them. Apparently they can be quite a hassle to get fixed properly once they start giving problems. This seems weird to me considering the number of KB bakkies driving around.

Racer-X, Thanks I'll def speak to barto. I'm not sure if I'm too keen on his Vitara though, it's a bit too much for what I'm going to be using it for. It looks like a proper off-road toy. I don't think I'll be able to drive anywhere if I get a 4L so sadly the Patrol is out of the question.

George, I didn't think of asking them to send a copy of the service book, I'll definitely look into that. I've tried to do as much research into smaller 4x4's that won't burn through my wallet as I drive and the Vitara keeps coming up on top and seems to fall within my price range (50K). I've spoken to a few owners and read numerous forum posts and reviews and everyone that has tried one seems to vouch for it. Any advice for further research would be greatly appreciated as I've only just started looking into getting a 4x4 in the past 3 months. What kind of millage should I be considering? there are vitaras in durban (183000km) and boksburg (227000) for the same price.

AVK, I've been looking into the Frontiers but have been waned against them. Apparently they can be quite a hassle to get fixed properly once they start giving problems. This seems weird to me considering the number of KB bakkies driving around.

Racer-X, Thanks I'll def speak to barto. I'm not sure if I'm too keen on his Vitara though, it's a bit too much for what I'm going to be using it for. It looks like a proper off-road toy. I don't think I'll be able to drive anywhere if I get a 4L so sadly the Patrol is out of the question.

George, I didn't think of asking them to send a copy of the service book, I'll definitely look into that. I've tried to do as much research into smaller 4x4's that won't burn through my wallet as I drive and the Vitara keeps coming up on top and seems to fall within my price range (50K). I've spoken to a few owners and read numerous forum posts and reviews and everyone that has tried one seems to vouch for it. Any advice for further research would be greatly appreciated as I've only just started looking into getting a 4x4 in the past 3 months. What kind of millage should I be considering? there are vitaras in durban (183000km) and boksburg (227000) for the same price.

The patrol is a diesel.

Do you know what the fuel consumption will be with a Vitara?
    Owned
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    Sold
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

Nicho,
    this is such a difficult one. If I had to make some rules I would say
    a) buy from someone known to someone - such as on this forum
    b) get a mechanically minded friend to help when you test drive
    c) look for a genuine history of the mileage (even if it's very high)
    d) and lastly ask the owner if you can take it to a Vitara mechanic (there must be one in PE) to give it the once over at least.
    Good luck and expect to wait until the right one comes along.
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6

Racer-X, apparently the Vitara gets around 10-11km/L which is quite a bit lower than what I've read for the patrol (around 6-8km/L).

George, thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes glued to the classifieds and follow your rules, hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Don't know who you spoke to about the frontiers but it might be very late at night. They are very simple to work on, same engine as my KB. Runs very well if you look after them. The 4x2's are probably more available but you will struggle to get hold of a well looked after 4x4. Talk to sweeper here on the forum he will give you some good advice.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Nicholas,
    check with the forum for a Vitara Indy in and around N1 City for a full inspection.
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6