Triton Radio Replacement

Default Triton Radio Replacement

I wanted to upgrade the sound system in my Triton.
    Ended up replacing the factory fitted radio and display-unit with a 7" Tablet.

For a bit more control I added a Parametric Equaliser, this also helped with the volume control.
    Its not that easy to set the volume on a tablet where the volume buttons are not accessible.
    The equaliser is connected to the amp behind the backseat, which drive the new Pioneer speakers.

Next step is to spray the insert and install all the Apps that I can use e.g. Waze, Torque Pro, etc.

Last edited by Skymaster; 2016/03/18 at 11:26 AM.

Johan van Rensburg
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 - Rocksliders - Bashplate - Radio Replacement
    DiWa Offroad Caravan

Default Re: Triton Radio Replacement

Looks good man, the sound will be awesome!
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Double Cab 4x4
    Jeep Wrangler 3.8 Unlimited (Sold)
    Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 Double Cab 4x2 (Sold)

Subscribed! Can you ease elaborate on the installation.

How how how?

I want to do the same. Should work on the Pajero!
    2007 Prado VX 4.0 V6 - Tiny
    SOLD: 2006 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB - Die Valk

What about the speakers?
    2012: Triton 3,2 DC 4 x 4 (Simson, soos gedoop in die Namib woestyn);

2006: Colt Rodeo 2.8 DC 4 x 4 (Moses die eerste, soos gedoop in die Limpopo)

We come into this world with nothing and we leave this world with nothing..........................

Looks really awesome

Give us more details, like tablet used, etc.

Where did you get the new 'radio'? is the new unit still giving you old display?? like diesel usage and the other features.

regards

Hi im also looking at doing the same thing with the tablet but my biggest problem is my steering control and my diaply for diesel range and so on.what you going to do bout yours

I am also in the process of researching this as an option. Android tablet will run Torque pro. This connects to the ecu via bluetooth and a OBD2/elm 327 "dongle".
    The dongle is this one:http://www.awesome-imports.co.za/col...ant=6378424835

The tablet is then rooted set up to switch on and off with the ignition and work as if it is an oem installation.
    here is a "how to":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM4X8OWlFZ8

The 7" tablets fit really nicely in the space on top, like what skymaster did with his.
    Triton 3.2 DiD

Quote Originally Posted by Hardus Bezuidenhout View Post
    I am also in the process of researching this as an option. Android tablet will run Torque pro. This connects to the ecu via bluetooth and a OBD2/elm 327 "dongle".
    The dongle is this one:http://www.awesome-imports.co.za/col...ant=6378424835

The tablet is then rooted set up to switch on and off with the ignition and work as if it is an oem installation.
    here is a "how to":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM4X8OWlFZ8

The 7" tablets fit really nicely in the space on top, like what skymaster did with his.
    Maar my vraag is wat van die steering controls

Ongelukkig sal die android ding nie met die steering controls werk nie.
    Myne is n 2009, so dis nie n issue nie
    Triton 3.2 DiD

Quote Originally Posted by Skymaster View Post

I wanted to upgrade the sound system in my Triton.
    Ended up replacing the factory fitted radio and display-unit with a 7" Tablet.

For a bit more control I added a Parametric Equaliser, this also helped with the volume control.
    Its not that easy to set the volume on a tablet where the volume buttons are not accessible.
    The equaliser is connected to the amp behind the backseat, which drive the new Pioneer speakers.

Next step is to spray the insert and install all the Apps that I can use e.g. Waze, Torque Pro, etc.

Hi Skymaster
    How did you mount the tablet in the dash not to move around or fall out?
    2018 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete 2.4 DI-D with SuperSelect II
    2017 Conqueror Companion Platinum Edition

** Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice **

Am I allowed to bump this fred?

Would love some more info here.

1. do you not miss your display (fuel gauge mainly), or can that be done on Torque (cant remember).
    2. Can you pair your phone with the tablet somehow (wifi or blue-teeth) so you can answer the call on the tablet while driving?
    3. thought of using a reverse camera (small IP cam perhaps?)

I would love to have all of the above options, but think I would be missing one input to the tablet (i.e. blueteeth and wifi will only give 2 options so will have to forgo either OBD, IP cam or hands free (if even possible).

Quote Originally Posted by dariusbez View Post
    Am I allowed to bump this fred?

Would love some more info here.

1. do you not miss your display (fuel gauge mainly), or can that be done on Torque (cant remember).
    2. Can you pair your phone with the tablet somehow (wifi or blue-teeth) so you can answer the call on the tablet while driving?
    3. thought of using a reverse camera (small IP cam perhaps?)

I would love to have all of the above options, but think I would be missing one input to the tablet (i.e. blueteeth and wifi will only give 2 options so will have to forgo either OBD, IP cam or hands free (if even possible).
    You now get some android double DIN units which "I think" gives you all of that functionality

Seems some feedback is in order. I've been running the 7" Acer cheapie for almost a year now. Still works well. The positives about the change are as expected. It is a brilliant idea. The negatives are: I've lost the fuel usage display. The tablets Bluetooth speed is too slow fot Torque to work properly. If i connect to my late model android phone, it works perfectly. This gives false readings in Torque on the tablet. So fuel consumption indication is not working. The position of the tablet poses a problem. Android switches the tablet off completely once the battery reaches 62 degrees Celsius. Since you lose access to the external power button with this installation, you need to pull out the top section of the dash to switch it on if it overheated while parked in summer sunshine.
    Triton 3.2 DiD

Quote Originally Posted by tintin_85 View Post
    You now get some android double DIN units which "I think" gives you all of that functionality
    Yup, looking into those. Need to find a reasonably priced one that is running quite stock Android so it can be manipulated. Also, it's doubtful it will get updates etc, that probably isn't all that important though unless you get left behind wrt what mapping aps work for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardus Bezuidenhout View Post
    Seems some feedback is in order. I've been running the 7" Acer cheapie for almost a year now. Still works well. The positives about the change are as expected. It is a brilliant idea. The negatives are: I've lost the fuel usage display. The tablets Bluetooth speed is too slow fot Torque to work properly. If i connect to my late model android phone, it works perfectly. This gives false readings in Torque on the tablet. So fuel consumption indication is not working. The position of the tablet poses a problem. Android switches the tablet off completely once the battery reaches 62 degrees Celsius. Since you lose access to the external power button with this installation, you need to pull out the top section of the dash to switch it on if it overheated while parked in summer sunshine.
    Shot for the feedback. I'll try with my phone first. I was thinking of opening the tablet up,remving the battery and wiring it directly into the vehicle power supply. From there it would be needed to modify the OS somehow to not switch off at higher temps. It's also a thought to try and have a remote mounted switch. I suppose this all seems like way too much effort for Nav when you can just stick the phone on the dashboard.
    Does your obd fuel usage display not work. I just connected mine for the first time, but seems it doesn't work. I am yet to drive around with the obd connected on the Triton though.

Bump, anyone have fuel usage readings from torque or similar on their phone working at all?