Chevrolet Nomad - Looking for Info - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Chevrolet Nomad - Looking for Info

I agree with NiteBob and Racer-X:

get a Series 3 SWB landy. They look the same, spares are cheap and easy to find, and they are probably just as easy to work on.

PLUS

- 4x4
    - maintain their value when sorted

in 5 years time, after sinking R30k into fixing a "cheap" Nomad, you'll still only get R30k for it.............

in 5 years time, after sinking R30k into fixing a cheap 88-inch Landy, you'll get R60k for it.............I kid you not.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...30910908496909
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl_Bester View Post
    Dis juis oor die parte se skaarsheid dat ek kyk na alternatiewe opsies. Ander engines en so aan. Ek sien n paar op Gumtree het V6'e in.

Ek oorweeg definitief die 4x4 conversion. As die geld eendag daar is sal ek dit graag wil doen. En as ek die regte inligting kan kry oor die proses. EK het toegang tot meeste van die gereedskap en so aan, die eienaar is net altyd besig en kry nie eers tyd vir sy eie projek nie.
    4x4 conversion will cost you a lot.

- new gearbox, transfer case and adapter : around R45k
    - matched set of axles : around R20k

That excludes little extra bits & pieces needed such as modifications to the gearbox tunnel, new gearbox mounts, etc etc etc
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I agree with NiteBob and Racer-X:

get a Series 3 SWB landy. They look the same, spares are cheap and easy to find, and they are probably just as easy to work on.

PLUS

- 4x4
    - maintain their value when sorted

in 5 years time, after sinking R30k into fixing a "cheap" Nomad, you'll still only get R30k for it.............

in 5 years time, after sinking R30k into fixing a cheap 88-inch Landy, you'll get R60k for it.............I kid you not.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...30910908496909
    If you've never heard a true story, well, this is one.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

Default Chevrolet Nomad - Looking for Info

Hi Darryl, I owned one of the very first Chev Nomads...I was a motoring journalist at the time and bought a Press demo model for half price. That was in early 1976 if I recall, and new they sold for R2995. Yes, classic old Chevy 2.5 motor and limited slip rear diff. I used mine all over Lesotho and never had a problem doing any of the passes that these days are considered to be ultimate 4x4 challenges. I also used mine on the beach a lot, launching a small ski-boat, running Dunlop SP49 radial tyres which I'd lower to about 8psi on the beach. There were not many 4x4s around in those days, and I on several occasions used my 2x4 Nomad to pull big F250s, International Harvester, Chev C10s off the beach! (Mostly because the owners refused to lower their tyre pressures!)

In 1977 my Nomad was converted for off-road racing in the Trans-Kalahari race in Botswana. Geoff Mortimer of the Chev Dealer Team did the engine up for me, and we replaced the front suspension as the OE suspension had regular balljoint failures. We imported the suspension of the Australian Holden Monaro and fitted that. The motor had the head replaced with the Chevair 2300 head to boost compression, and Geoff did the ports for me. Weber downdraft carb. A free flow exhaust with banana branch manifold completed the setup and gave me a straight line speed of 175km/h! Yes! For racing I fitted bigger rims off the Jaguar XJ6 and Dunlop Weathermaster tyres if I recall the name correctly. The car was also fitted with a full roll cage and harnesses.

In 1977 we were well placed several hundred Kms into the Kalahari when a stupid plate attached to the top of the radiator - apparently to prevent one putting ones hands into the fan - broke off and fell into the fan, ripping the radiator to shreds. End of race.

I was lying 6th in the race in '78 and was attempting to overtake legendary rally and off-road racer Hannes Grobler when I took out the left front suspension on a tree stump hidden in a small shrub. End of race, again.

That Nomad did several trips through Botswana back in the late 70s and early 80s, and with proper driving skills in sand and correct tyre pressures I never had a problem. And back then the serious "4x4" stuff started right after leaving Maun, all the way through Moremi, Savuti and Chobe. And the road from Nata to Maun broke more than a few cars and trailers then too, long before it was tarred and allowed platkars through to Maun.

So I hope you finish your project and get lots of fun and pleasure from your Nomad. I often think back nostalgically about mine...
    Last edited by DarylB; 2017/03/10 at 03:06 PM.
    Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylB For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2