Awning - How often do you use yours overlanding? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Awning - How often do you use yours overlanding?

Quote Originally Posted by TheoP View Post
    We have Haniball awning which only takes less than a minute to set up and about a minute to fold away. Because of this we use it when ever we cannot find a convenient tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys Willemse View Post
    We use the Eezy-Awn 2,5 m self retracting model. Had it on my LR Disco I, and now on my Pajero Sport. Landy had roof gutters, unit was clamped onto the gutter, for the Pajero I bought the Eezy-Awn roof rail clamps, modified the vertical plates to lower the unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimbingTurtle View Post
    I have a 2.5m EeziAwn on the GV - use it almost every trip as an additional cover area to the Tent - well worth the R1500 I paid for it on this very forum....
    I can get a new Howling Moon safari awning 2.5x2.1 for R1800. Think it work the same way as the eezi-awn awning pics Thys Willemse posted.
    What does these things cost new? Is R1800 a good price to pay?

Using my Eezi Awn more and more! Also happy with the simple design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have the Tentco Bundu awning. Good product but a little slow in erecting. We have used it once and then actually as a free standing structure, more like a gazebo. I have therefor removed it from the bakkie and attached it to be used at the back of my trailer where it is much more useful. I can imagine that the wing type awnings and the Eezi Awn, etc will be more useful, but I have always been able to find a tree, etc. for shade to do a short stop. Myself not a big fan of awnings attached to the vehicle.
    Last edited by dudley; 2016/04/08 at 12:42 PM.
    [LEFT]"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"
    Oscar Wilde

[/LEFT
    ]" The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil"
    Hannah Arendt

Great to see everyone's preference on awnings.

Just returned from a trip to Mabuasehube & Rooiputs - Awnings and Gazebos not used once - sufficient shade under the trees & A-Frames. Summer might be a different story?

Anyone with CKGR experience during September, enough trees to supply shade or would you recommend taking an awning?
    Heinrich
    @rontgen_za
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq 2010

An awning in my opinion is a nice to have but may not be used in all applications. When I had the RTT we hardly used the awning, now with the Bundu top we find ourselves using it more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4403.resized.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	415377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4404.resized.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	415378  
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Anyone using sidewalls with an awning?

Useful when its windy providing some protection?

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I've got a Howling Moon Alu Awning on the car for the last 11 years now. I can count the number of times I used it on one hand. While it does not take a long time to erect and a bit longer to put away (have to roll it up manually since it doesn'ts self retract), I find the effort just too much.

I would imagine that if I had a RTT I would have used it more. However, when camping with a dome tent with a add-on kitchen and it's own awning, there is no use for an awning attached to a roof rack. Now that we camp with an Xplorer, even less so.

Would I have put it on the car 11 years if I knew then what I know now? Good question. I think so. The few times I used it it was really handy (once making lunch in the mid-day sun on a bridge in the Kruger Park on a 4x4 trail) but do I view it as essential? For the way I travel, far from it. Rather a nice to have.

What I do find more useful, even though it is a schlep to pack since it is bulky, is one of those "concertina" fold-out, free standing awnings. We regularly use that when we camp for a couple of days on the same spot, especially if we are a group of people. I find it very useful as a get-together area for a group or just a convenient shady spot on a camp site since typically the tent or the caravan is occupying the space under the shade tree on the site.
    Last edited by Gerhardvr26; 2016/08/23 at 07:30 PM.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

I have a 270 deg awning on the left side of the bakkie. When camping and touring we always use it if shade is required. But i also use it alot where ever shade is needed and my bakkie is close like the shooting range,outside site meetings or where ever. Almost used weekly
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post

We have a "home-made" type of awning to which I can add a piece of 80% shade cloth as a side. Nothing fancy, just hook it over the poles and jam the lower edge under the poles to hold in place. Pic (not very good, I admit) shows it in use at Nossop to keep off one of the scorching hot winds that blow there. Works lie a charm. The next day the wind turned and came from the left, so we just took the shade-cloth groundsheet visible and used it on the other side. We now had a cool tunnel which also cut off that white glare which comes off the ground at Nossop. We wouldn't be without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post

Yup, we have side walls, and they are invaluable in tropical downpours. We have sat out many tropical storms under our awnings with side walls keeping us dry.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3