New Hilux : 1st Hand Impressions ONLY, Please!!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default New Hilux : 1st Hand Impressions ONLY, Please!!

I myself have'nt driven the new Hilux yet, but will soon.

I know this is another New Hilux thread.

May I ask anyone who has tested or, better still, already bought, a new Hilux to post his/her impressions in here please??

Obviously ONLY if you have actually 1st hand experience. Please state which one you bought/tested, eg the 2,4 DC or the 2,8 Auto.

Please only unbiased reports, and try be as critical as possible??

PLEASE please no Off Topic stuff guys, there are other threads where we can compare the different marques.

Also, if you have'nt yet actually driven one (like me), please do'nt yet post. We all have our own impressions from pictures, other threads, etc etc.......I'd like to get info REAL TIME.

Thanks, I'm really curious to know, especially those posts that could maybe compare the old vs the new one.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Default Re: New Hilux : 1st Hand Impressions ONLY, Please!!

Having driven Hiluxes from the 1992 models right through to my last 2008 model, my first impressions were negative.

I was disappointed with (interior):
    1. Keyless entry/ push button start not on diesel models - what's worse is the fact that the hole in dash is rather stupidly covered up
    2. Same applies to 4x2 versus 4x4 models, the 4x4 selection knob is stupidly covered in the 4x2 models.
    3. Lack of power seats - even if it is was jus the driver seat
    4. Height of the seat versus the windscreen height - at 2.03 meters tall, I felt like I could not see out the window without adjusting the seat to a lower level which in turn compromised comfort - for me.
    5. Lack of rear airconditioner vents for passengers.
    6. Interior space - again at over 2 meters tall, my two sons will be way too big in 3 years time to fit in the back.

My needs have changed, will most probably be looking at second hand Prado 150 in a couple years' time.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    I myself have'nt driven the new Hilux yet, but will soon.

I know this is another New Hilux thread.

May I ask anyone who has tested or, better still, already bought, a new Hilux to post his/her impressions in here please??

Obviously ONLY if you have actually 1st hand experience. Please state which one you bought/tested, eg the 2,4 DC or the 2,8 Auto.

Please only unbiased reports, and try be as critical as possible??

PLEASE please no Off Topic stuff guys, there are other threads where we can compare the different marques.

Also, if you have'nt yet actually driven one (like me), please do'nt yet post. We all have our own impressions from pictures, other threads, etc etc.......I'd like to get info REAL TIME.

Thanks, I'm really curious to know, especially those posts that could maybe compare the old vs the new one.
    Not to be funny Oom Petri, but you need to give the guys a couple of months or at least 2000km - 5000km to get your answer.

You surely not only wanted to know the looks etc, because you might then just go to a dealer and sit in one, but you want to know how it drives, feel, performance etc.

Please ask the moderator to delete my post, as I'm not really contributing to your needs here.
    Sent from my iPhone

I only saw it from outside, I actually like it

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Not to be funny Oom Petri, but you need to give the guys a couple of months or at least 2000km - 5000km to get your answer.

You surely not only wanted to know the looks etc, because you might then just go to a dealer and sit in one, but you want to know how it drives, feel, performance etc.

Please ask the moderator to delete my post, as I'm not really contributing to your needs here.
    Rebel I hear you, but there are quite a few Hiluxes already running around. And LOTS of test drives, I'm sure.

So - I think this thread could grow, and be useful.

Guys, thanks so far, but please try and stick to the OP's - 1st hand driving ONLY please, stuff like how solid it feels, road holding, quietness of cab, RPM at 120, how's the new gearbox, power, how does it pull at low RPM, etc etc etc.
    We all know how it looks by now, and looks is actually a very subjective thing, to be honest.

I test drove the new 2.4 GD-6 SRX double cab 4x4

Fiirst impression was that it actually looks much better in real life than on photos. Even the interior looks better in real life and the 'ipad' look of the screen is something I personally can get used to. There has been said that the interior is very much plastic which is true but it is really not that bad and besides what vehicle does not have a bit of plastic? ( even my jeep has plastic bits inside ). The seats are really comfy and I really liked the telescopic adjustment on the steering wheel. For me the general layout was decent as everything that you need is within reach and the buttons on the steering wheel is a nice touch wrt. audio, telephone and display changing. I think that they could have added a few extra 12v ports as one sometimes seems a bit 'min' and one at the back would have been a good add. Space at the back could also have been a tad better as I can imagine someone being 1.9+m will need a bit more leg room, but then again I am not that tall so for me doesnt matter. Other than that I felt the interior was pretty decent and if I wanted luxury I would buy something else.

Then the drive, I only did between 15 and 20km so this is just my experience based on that. First impression was that the new 2.4 is miles ahead of the old 2.5 and I will even go so far as to say that it probably will perform better than the old 3.0d4d. (Please dont shoot me it is just my impression). The 6 speed box works really well with the engine and the changes up and down, acceleration, power delivery in any gear at any revs seemed to be perfect. I had to continuesly look at the speedo to not go over the speed limit as it reaches 140 with easy in 6th. The power and eco modes are really nice and you do notice a change in performance once power mode is selected, everything just becomes more responsive. The ride in general is pretty good and the noice levels are really minimal in the cabin at highway speeds. You barely hear the engine at 120 with the radio on in the background and you can still have conversations with one another. Going over speed bumps is also an improvement as it doesnt feel like it wants to 'hop' over it but rather goes over pretty smoothly. It also handles corners pretty well and does not feel like it wants to go belly up. In general it is an improvemt over the old one in terms of ride quality and performance and I personally think it will sell well.

This is just my opinion on the 2.4 only as I have not driven the 2.8, but guess the ride would be similar. I have probably failed to mention a few thing but hope this helps a bit.
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

Did the 2.8 GD-6 DC 4x4 Auto at the Kyalami launch and loved it, taking delivery tomorrow afternoon can't wait update to follow

Quote Originally Posted by wjkemp View Post
    Did the 2.8 GD-6 DC 4x4 Auto at the Kyalami launch and loved it, taking delivery tomorrow afternoon can't wait update to follow
    Nice! Remember to post pics as soon as you get it!

I did three different test drives so I will copy and paste here (not keen to retype everything) I will highlight also highlight pros and cons.
    I drove to the first test in a 2014 Ranger and mention some comparison but I will delete the 'offending' parts if you want - I agree with the need to keep the thread civil!!

2.8 Raider(AT and MT)

So off we go to a local dealer in my mates 2014 Ranger, I drive
    It was a bit stupid to go at lunch time as there were a few others with the same idea. They had AT and MT 2.8's no 2.4 to drive and speaking to a salesman their stock of 30 or so is all but sold - Raider spec most popular.
    My first impressions from the other thread are basically unchanged with some added -very nice, interior seems compact but feels good, overall driving position and seating is excellent, car like, two way steering wheel adjustment is nice, dash seems too basic as all functions are on the screen which is actually smaller than it looks in pics - not that bad at all, I don't like the material arm rests, it will get grubby in no time, nice to have rear sliding glass. Solid feeling, we'll put together, I like!!
    I don't really like the rear bumper - chrome and plastic (similar to the Rangers though)
    Bak is huge!!
    Eco mode is.................not going to be used much
    Tow bar is much better looking than the block behind the Ranger.
    My mate drives first and from the getgo he is pretty impressed, although within 500m he said the tyres feel overinflated........true Hilux
    We swap places and I end up driving a mix of highway/urban...no gravel for 20 mins very nice, bear in mind that my daily drive is a FJ which is a lot smoother compared to a leaf sprung bakkie its still very good - if you nitpick the unloaded Ranger has a better more planted feel, but it feels heavy and a bit lethargic in a way(sound like a car journo)the Hilux is very good at 'point and shoot' driving, if you know what I mean - the AT gearbox is superb... way, way better than the Ranger in both our opinions(close to the Amarok 8spd??) - very smooth and always in the right gear - the iMT is very good and I have to say compared to the Rangers its like chalk and cheese (admittedly I last drove a MT Ranger 6 months ago and it was a 2.2)........maybe the new one has a better box??
    Somehow we both feel that the Ranger may be better to tow with.... will have to see??
    By the end of the drives the tablet was part of the furniture.........it really is smaller than it seems in the pics!! The salesman even played a Bryan Adams DVD for us
    Can't think of anything else but I am sure I will......oh and the trip computer read 16l/100kms
    Lots of good bakkies around now and still the Triton and Navara to come, buy what you want /need, and enjoy..........remember its your choice and you have to live with it!!

2.4 SRX
    Drove the 2.4 earlier, SRX 4x2 - 225 tyres, lower spec , smaller screen, plastic console cover, less airbags................BUT that 2.4 motor!!! WOW!!! considering what I expected it impressed me more than the 2.8(almost), even the gearbox without iMT is very good - puts down the torque very well - this motor is going to be a winner in auto.........in the Fortuner
    (Gripe: When we first set off the ride was very bumpy, even with the 70 tyres - they were pumped to 2.7 bars!!!! mamparas - what happened to a decent pdi??)

4L V6 (AT)
    Drove the V6, very nice bearing in mind that it is down on power compared to the FJ(-25kw), the difference is the 6spd gearbox, it is superb!! Very easy to keep it in the 'right' gear all the time with a bit of foot input very nice!!
    One thing that I don't like is that the AT tyres are very road bias.....almost like the FJ oem tyres, not too sure how they will perform on gravel/offroad though.

To add: IMO the Hilux is quite understated (typical Toyota) they have certainly made a 'different' move with the dash, its very car like and people are not used to that, I think more bakkies will move away from the traditional dash - lets face it all the bakkies are similar with a different theme to each, almost 'same old same old'.
    Steering wheel is very nice and all controls and dash have an upmarket feel - I don't know where guys complain about the cheap plastics (maybe just looking at pics ). Cooler cubby is a winner!!
    I don't really see a problem with the rear, other than it looking a bit like the previous model - bak is huge!!
    Engine and gearbox combination is very, very good, quiet and effortless. At some stage they will bring a 2.4 auto like the Fortuner - that will be a winner!

Some disappointing things for me are: road biased AT tyres - no keyless entry/push start - no LED dlr's - 18" wheels should be an option - the SRX screen is smaller - SRX has some key features missing that the SR has??
    SRX has no iMT gearbox - blanking plates(4x4 switch and start button)look stupid - material on armrests will get grubby.
    I think that as facelifts come we will see some of the things added - they have to leave something for the face lifts
    Last edited by dirtshark; 2016/03/09 at 03:24 PM.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Drove a 2.4 and 2.8.

First the 2.4 in SRX trim. Walking up to it you notice its focused to more work orientated buyers with steel rims and a lack of the pumped up wheelarches. The interior as well seems a bit drab compared to the 2.8 but with the same sort of plastic. The engine is definitely better then both the old 2.5 and 3.0. The gearbox is fantastic and feels very car like, the same with the clutch. Power delivery is brilliant to the extent you would think that it is the top of the range option. On the freeway as well it is very relaxed and quite however once the power mode is on everything gets kicked up a gear.

Then comes the 2.8 manual. Everything inside is a bot better. the steering wheel wouldnt be out of place in a Land Cruiser 200, however some plastics feel a bit cheap but still way better then most double cabs. The touch screen uses the same interface as other Toyotas just a bit bigger however not as big as pictures make it seem. On the road the clutch does feel more heavy then the 2.8 (maybe because a more industrial unit is used), power delivery is beyond excellent and once the power mode is on it lurches foward like a hot hatch. Of note the fuel consumption was at 11.3l/100km while the 2.4 was at 13l/100km however this can be due to the fact both vehicles had around 100km on the clock.

The downsides besides those mentioned by others, the manual versions doesnt have much of a drivers footrest which seems like an odd omission especially on the 2.8 and due to demand all those who have the privilege of buying directly from Toyota have to wait a year before delivery and we will be restricted on selling before 1 year . However this does mean I will be able to get the updated version

subscribed

- More poweful but the fuel consumption is much higher than claimed
    - Interior problem with door handles
    - Manual gearbox is more refined compared to old one, Auto has some shift issues at times, also noticed in AUS market.
    - More car like feel for sure... will it be more robust compared to the older model? ( dont think so)
    - doubts about added electronics... a steel structure off road track and a Botswana and Namibia trip will prove its very different in real life.

One question is why the LC is kept so mechanical and demand such a high price. If that LC is so outdated why is it still in such high demand world wide?

Maybe have a look at AUS Hilux forum.

Nice and useful reading so far, thank you Gents!!

I'll definitely make a plan to go take a 2,4 and 2,8 DC for a spin and post my humble contribution in here. The manual - I just prefer manual. But seems like the 6 Speed Auto box is impressive. That's nice, that older Auto box in the previous shape was'nt a strong point I think.

accsa - The Cruiser is in a different market. The V6 DC is actually about the same price as a 2,8 D 4x4 DC, by the way. So - not THAT expensive.

Just to add, when I did the test drive in the 2.4 we went straigh to a garage to fill up, petrol light was on and only took 65litres so that leaves a pretty decent 'reserve' once the petrol light goes on. After that got onto the highway and fuel consumption was reset and it stayed around the 8l/100km mark even after some town driving as well. Recons that it will be decent on fuel consumption after 20 odd thousand kms. The one I drove had 70km on the clock.
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

Quote Originally Posted by acssa View Post
    - More poweful but the fuel consumption is much higher than claimed
    - Interior problem with door handles
    - Manual gearbox is more refined compared to old one, Auto has some shift issues at times, also noticed in AUS market.
    - More car like feel for sure... will it be more robust compared to the older model? ( dont think so)
    - doubts about added electronics... a steel structure off road track and a Botswana and Namibia trip will prove its very different in real life.

One question is why the LC is kept so mechanical and demand such a high price. If that LC is so outdated why is it still in such high demand world wide?

Maybe have a look at AUS Hilux forum.
    Did you drive it ? It was asked hands-on personal experience not AUS forums

Quote Originally Posted by wjkemp View Post

Hey Kemp
    Congrat's - You gonna love it.
    I've had mine for 5 days- 1h36 min and 43 seconds now !! LOL !!
    It get's better every time I drive it. Really it does.

Needless to say but - Run it in properly and enjoy.
    Cape Viking
    VW Amarok
    Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT

i took delivery of my 2.8 A/T doublecab a week ago.Drove to the tyreshop to change to my favourite BFG AT's and adjust tyre pressure to1.8 bar.
    First impressions: very smooth AT gearbox.
    more power than the 3.0 in the bussiness
    much more modern interior and seat material of better quality.
    "tablet screen" of the radio actually very nice and reverse camera very clear.
    proper mudflaps that should not curl oe bend like the old models.
    keyless entry would have been nice.
    the cloth cover on the centreconsole lid and doorhandles/ armrests will get dirty very fast.
    But it's a Toyota Hilux and is bound to give me excellent service as all my previous Toyotas has given me.
    Swakopmunder

Just took delivery of a new DC 4x4 2.8 6speed. Traded my 2011 Hilux and this new one is way different from the old one. It has a cold box to keep things cold. It also a a power boost button that makes it very racy. It has a couple of other clever electronics like IMT (iintelegent manual transmission) that makes it go like and auto. You feel the difference in power instantly from the old Hilux. Comes std with reverse camera. Taking it offroad this weekend.

I drive a chipped 3.0 D4D Auto 4x4, thought that the torque on standard 2.8 4x4 Auto will still exceed the torque of my 3.0. I had the brilliant opportunity to drive them under the same conditions on sand at Brakkeduine. What a dissapointment . The 2.8 totally runs out of power where the 3.0 performs flawless. Just my 2c.

I drive a 3.2 XLT 4x4 auto and went to testdrive the 2.8 4x4 Auto Hilux.
    I am not a spesific brand fan and drive what I like. The new hilux looks better in real live than in the pictures though you gonna have to get used to that sharpish front. Interior space of the toyota is smaller than my Ranger. You dont get that spacious feeling when sitting in the Hilux.

I actually like the interior of the hilux and the Ipad thingy is not that bad. One thing that is definately better than the ranger is that auto box! WOW much much smoother than my ranger and feels more responsive too. The econ mode on the Hilux I think will not be used much.....
    3.2 Ford Ranger DC AUTO 4x4

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast