puma oil sender unit

Default puma oil sender unit

hi all
    weird thing happened this evening . the madman showed "oil temp over range " for the last week, checked all wires (nothing wrong)replaced the vdo sender unit with new one ,and while all the wires to both original and vdo senders were disconnected ,I started to check for oil leaks and the madman immediately showed'" check sender" ,but the oil light on the dash also went off and stayed off

how can this be ? does it read oil pressure from somewhere else too?
    maybe all puma owners should check ,you could pe loosing oil pres.and not even be warned on the dash

Default Re: puma oil sender unit

LENLANDY,

Do you mean "oil temperature" or "oil pressure"?

I don't have or know the Puma, but I do have a Madman and I'd like to suggest a hypothesis here.

My installation has a T-junction with the oil pressure sender (VDO) and an oil pressure switch with TWO tabs.

Oil pressure sender goes to the Madman's "oil pressure" input, which displays the oil pressure on the screen.
    Oil pressure switch goes to the Madman's "oil pressure switch" input, which displays nothing on the screen but will sound a warning if the oil pressure is low. The second tab on this switch goes to the light on the dashboard.
    So, even when the oil pressure sender misbehaves, the Madman will still scream if the oil pressure is 0 bar (oil pressure switch triggered) and the oil light on the dash will come on.

Now, if you disconnect the oil pressure switch, the ECU will not get a reading and the light will not come on (am I correct here, boffins? I would imagine all this is ECU-controlled on a Puma). BUT the light will come on during the startup routine, as the ECU illuminates all the dash lights so that the user can confirm that they are working.

This is a bit stupid, really - one would imagine they would design the system to fail with the light ON in the event of a disconnection.

Just my 2c (a lot of words, but perhaps cheap ones?).

hi
    yes its oil pressure
    does the puma maybe have two oil sender switches?
    I tested the switches( original and vdo) and it is a normally closed which means the light should stay on until a signal(pressure) is received so with no wire attached is should stay on ,which it does not
    Last edited by LENLANDY; 2016/03/09 at 09:44 AM.

As I understand it: if the switch is N/C then, with no oil pressure the switch remains closed. When there is oil pressure, it opens. Disconnecting the lead simulates an open switch, hence the light goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    As I understand it: if the switch is N/C then, with no oil pressure the switch remains closed. When there is oil pressure, it opens. Disconnecting the lead simulates an open switch, hence the light goes off.
    if this is true , it could lead to problems on say an overland trip .if the wire is severed on a rough road and you lose oil pressure for some reason you would not now accept if you have a madman or other warning device

not good

Agreed. You can verify this by stalling the car. Oil light and alternator light should go on

tried the stall and yes the light comes on ,but the wire was not connected!!
    .So what does the sensor do if all is normal without it connected

Oil light comes on when you stall it? Then, as you suggest in first post, there must be a sensor for the light in a different position. Your Madman sensors are possibly located separately.

Hopefully the Puma owners can tell you where the stock oil pressure switch is located

The oil pressure switch is located right next to the oil filter and oil cooler mount.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    The oil pressure switch is located right next to the oil filter and oil cooler mount.
    yes that's the one in question
    is there anything else that reads oil pressure on the 2.2 puma?

Lenlandy, please excuse me in advance for asking this. Are you sure the OIL light goes on when you stall the car? Not just alternator light?
    Another option: check carefully in the vicinity of the locations given above, that there is not another separate sensor/switch hidden near the one you have unplugged. Can you post photos of the setup?

Your ecu must be getting a signal from somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by LENLANDY View Post
    yes that's the one in question
    is there anything else that reads oil pressure on the 2.2 puma?
    Nowhere else...can't explain it
    Last edited by ClaudeG; 2016/03/11 at 10:46 AM.

Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

jip when you stall it ,both the alternator and oil light comes on with the wire disconnected .connecting the wire ,has the same result
    the madman also function as normal with only the gray wire connected(shows low pressure warning and after blinking for a few times ,the alarm goes off)

The colour coding for the Madman is as follows:

Grey wire: Oil pressure sender (measures oil pressure 0-10 bar). This is the "big" sender that has a screw-on connection to the wire.

Blue wire: Oil pressure switch.

The Madman will give you an oil pressure low warning on two counts:
    1. If the pressure (measured by the pressure sender/grey input) goes below the preset value (e.g. 0.6 bar)
    2. If the oil pressure switch is activated (blue wire).

If you disconnect the grey wire and leave the blue wire, you should get a "check sender" message on the Madman, but you should still get a low pressure warning when you stall it or keep the ignition on but do not start it.

If you disconnect the blue wire and leave the grey wire, you should get pressure readings from the Madman, and should still get an oil pressure low warning when you stall it (in my case, it will not give this warning when you just leave the ignition on - it needs to see the value drop first).

I think it is clear from your evidence that the two wires you are working with are solely going to the Madman. The original connection to the oil pressure switch is still there, somewhere.

Can you post photos of the setup? Do you have the T-piece with pressure sender and pressure switch, or do you have the combined pressure sensor/pressure switch unit? Either way, you need to have three wires coming from the setup (blue wire, grey wire, PLUS the original wire).

I use to have the t-Pease setup but as its a more bulky setup for the 2.2 Brain from madman suggested a vdo with two terminals G(grey wire) and GW( blue and landrover wire together)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LENLANDY; 2016/03/12 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LENLANDY View Post
    hi all
    weird thing happened this evening . the madman showed "oil temp over range " for the last week, checked all wires (nothing wrong)replaced the vdo sender unit with new one ,and while all the wires to both original and vdo senders were disconnected ,I started to check for oil leaks and the madman immediately showed'" check sender" ,but the oil light on the dash also went off and stayed off

how can this be ? does it read oil pressure from somewhere else too?
    maybe all puma owners should check ,you could pe loosing oil pres.and not even be warned on the dash
    Had a similar problem with the madman oil pressure reading over range on my TD5 turned out to be a bad earth to the madman sensor unit i ran a new earth wire from the engine to the sensor unit and no more faulty readings. If you turn your key on without starting the engine the oil pressure reading on the madman should be 0.0 if not probably a bad earth.

the wiring was checked but all ok turned out to be the vdo sender GW side was shod(mine showed 1.6 bar whith engine turned off)the interesting light thing was discovered while fitting the new vdo sender and all is working fine (no over range warning) but the light goes off weather the blue and black wire is connected or not
    Last edited by LENLANDY; 2016/03/12 at 08:30 PM.

I posted a reply last night, but it seems to have vanished in cyberspace.

Checking the picture and your explanation, you have grey wire (pressure sensor to Madman), blue wire (pressure switch to Madman), other wire (pressure switch to Landy ECU).

You say that with all three of these wires disconnected:
    1. The oil pressure light on the dash goes out when you start the car
    AND
    2. The oil pressure light on the dash goes on again when you stall it?

In my mind, there's GOT to be another sensor somewhere that's feeding info to the ECU. You must be very frustrated and confused - I know if that was my car, I'd be pulling my hair out and probably would be found out in my carport at 2AM with a torch, tracing the wiring harnesses! Can't one pick up this sort of thing with a diagnostic tool?

However, I'm no expert on the Puma at all and probably shouldn't keep on replying as I think I'm preventing the real experts from chipping in.

I'm now completely out of ideas, and am going to retire to my cave licking my wounds...

But I'll be watching this thread with interest - please post the outcome if you find out; it's a baffler of note indeed.

I have a hawkeye and it shows no fault codes
    with the madman connected I know I'm covered and therefore not that worried,but what about the guyes without it
    maybe another 2.2 puma owner can unplug his oilsender and see if it gives the same results

Len I'll test mine on the weekend, although it is a 2.4.

Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad