GV Auto Gear Lever stuck in park position

Default GV Auto Gear Lever stuck in park position

Hi
    Had a interesting glitch yesterday:
    I have a 2.4 Auto GV.
    Got into my GV at work, car started normally. BUT the gear wouldn't release from "Park".
    Now normally this only happens till you put your foot on the brake but nope. Didn't seem to work. Did the typical switch off, restart, turn steering, lock steering, unlock steering blah blah.
    Eventually had to resort to using the manual release button located on the right of the gearbox. All the gears work, till you put her back into park, then thats where it stays. Till you manually release. She drives fine. Drove home like that without issues. Just the "park" that locks down.

Initially I was a bit worried. I did a new 4x4 route on Saturday called Waboomsrust. Grade 3 with bit of mud but mostly rock and some technical sections. Lots of big rocks of enough height to cause damage. Really banged the crap out of the GV (luckily she's got steel undies almost everywhere). But the odd rock here and there really banged her hard so I thought maybe I damaged something. We also had 4 Jimnys in our group and even they got stuck a couple of times. Maybe on purpose knowing jimny drivers . One Jimny's shock also came loose. Same day another guy in a Nissan cracked his sump on a rock hidden under a water section. had to leave his bakkie there.... So obviously with this in my mind I was nogal worried.

Got home, did some google, turns out that its the brake lights' fuse that has this effect.
    True as bob, pushing my rear brake I could see that nothing lights up at the back.

Opened the fuse box under steering wheel, changed the 10A fuse for "Stop Lamp" with a spare fuse (also in fuse box) and problem = sorted. Was again able to move from Park to all the other gears. Everything = fine

Most irritating part was that to get to the fusebox you have to take off the bottom part of your dashboard under your steering column. Piece of 40x20 cm plastic that's attached with just 2 screws, but you're buggered if you're stuck somewhere without a screwdriver and need to get to this fusebox. Luckily I have a screwdriver and small long nose pliers in the boot for these fun occasions. Needed pliers to get fuse out.

Nothing major nor technical nor new, just a little "funny" that I thought I'd share for those that might still experience it
    Alex Kappeler
    (Kappie)

2012 Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    40mm Suzuki Lift, Front Bash Plate, Sump Bash Plate, 235/65/R17 D697 Duelers, 100% Coolness
    ex - 2009 Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto <- Broke it...
    ex - 2010 Suzuki Jimny<- Awesome

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kappie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: GV Auto Gear Lever stuck in park position

Thanks for letting us know I will try remeber this if I ever get a GV. Its these sort of things that a person gets ripped off for if they take it in to get fixed. Some dodgy mechanic could charge for gearbox overhaul when all it needs is a fuse and you wouldnt know any better.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2010 jimny - sold what a 4x4
    2001 colt V6 - sold (drinker)

Actually, strange you mention it. Colleague at work mentioned her friend had same issue in her BMW. Now, in her case they charged her a massive amount to get it fixed.
    That being said one doesn't know whether the issue was exactly the same.
    Alex Kappeler
    (Kappie)

40mm Suzuki Lift, Front Bash Plate, Sump Bash Plate, 235/65/R17 D697 Duelers, 100% Coolness

Did some research on other brands and vehicles with Automatic transmissions and what to do when they get stuck in Park. Seems its the Brake light fuse most of the time :
    "The main components that control the locking and unlocking of the shifter are
    • the brake light/stoplight switch
    • the vehicle ignition switch
    • the shift interlock solenoid
    • or obviously your vehicle's battery"

as per "http://myautomatictransmission.com/D...-from-park.htm"
    Seems common to most brands according to a quick google check.
    Last edited by Kappie; 2016/02/23 at 01:53 PM.
    Alex Kappeler
    (Kappie)

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Jeez, stop the car because the brake lights don't work?

OK, I see the LOGIC, but REALLY? Why not just a warning light like in the E-class Mercs?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Jeez, stop the car because the brake lights don't work?

OK, I see the LOGIC, but REALLY? Why not just a warning light like in the E-class Mercs?
    Just imagine your wife at the shops and this happens.
    Point is you can drive the car if you push the manual release. But how many people even notice the little manual release button.
    Eina. Not very clever no.
    Last edited by Kappie; 2016/02/23 at 02:20 PM.
    Alex Kappeler
    (Kappie)

Jelo the D3 does the same when a brake light fails .Car goes into limp mode so stupid .

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Jelo the D3 does the same when a brake light fails .Car goes into limp mode so stupid .
    Bloody nanny state Euro nazis.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Great piece of information thanks
    '14 GV 2.4 Auto
    Suzuki radiator bash plate
    Stoff pad sump and Dif bash plate
    16"rims
    Dunlop TRAKGRIP AT Tyres
    40mm VID lift kit
    Wish list
    Rock Sliders (probably VID)
    Replacement Bumper (when one is developed)

Thanks for posting.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Kappie View Post
    Hi
    Had a interesting glitch yesterday:
    I have a 2.4 Auto GV.
    Got into my GV at work, car started normally. BUT the gear wouldn't release from "Park".
    Now normally this only happens till you put your foot on the brake but nope. Didn't seem to work. Did the typical switch off, restart, turn steering, lock steering, unlock steering blah blah.
    Eventually had to resort to using the manual release button located on the right of the gearbox. All the gears work, till you put her back into park, then thats where it stays. Till you manually release. She drives fine. Drove home like that without issues. Just the "park" that locks down.

Initially I was a bit worried. I did a new 4x4 route on Saturday called Waboomsrust. Grade 3 with bit of mud but mostly rock and some technical sections. Lots of big rocks of enough height to cause damage. Really banged the crap out of the GV (luckily she's got steel undies almost everywhere). But the odd rock here and there really banged her hard so I thought maybe I damaged something. We also had 4 Jimnys in our group and even they got stuck a couple of times. Maybe on purpose knowing jimny drivers . One Jimny's shock also came loose. Same day another guy in a Nissan cracked his sump on a rock hidden under a water section. had to leave his bakkie there.... So obviously with this in my mind I was nogal worried.

Got home, did some google, turns out that its the brake lights' fuse that has this effect.
    True as bob, pushing my rear brake I could see that nothing lights up at the back.

Opened the fuse box under steering wheel, changed the 10A fuse for "Stop Lamp" with a spare fuse (also in fuse box) and problem = sorted. Was again able to move from Park to all the other gears. Everything = fine

Most irritating part was that to get to the fusebox you have to take off the bottom part of your dashboard under your steering column. Piece of 40x20 cm plastic that's attached with just 2 screws, but you're buggered if you're stuck somewhere without a screwdriver and need to get to this fusebox. Luckily I have a screwdriver and small long nose pliers in the boot for these fun occasions. Needed pliers to get fuse out.

Nothing major nor technical nor new, just a little "funny" that I thought I'd share for those that might still experience it

I found myself in a similar situation this past Saturday evening. Unfortunately, my Fortuner had to be put on a flatbed, spent the rest of the weekend at my insurance's storage, then dropped of at McCarthy Toyota Midrand on Monday. They replaced 2 fuses (stop lamps and indicators) and the problem was gone. I wish I had come across this post before the roadside assistance took my car away.

After paying for 0.0166666666666 hrs of labour (R17.07 inc vat), I picked up by car. I even got a free car wash from Toyota.

I need to get the wiring for my trailer checked since it is the first suspect for the blown fuses.
    Regards

Chip

06 Corsa Utility 1.8 Manual: Sold
    04 Camry 2.4 VVti Manual: Sold
    04 BMW 318i Exclusive Manual: Sold
    06 Kia Rio Hatch 1.4 Manual: Sold
    05 Opel Astra 1.6 Manual: Sold
    09 Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 SE Auto: Sold (missing it a lot)
    06 Mercedes-Benz C180 Kompressor Elegance Auto: Current
    12 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D R/B Auto: Current
    -----------------------------------------
    06 C180 Kompressor Auto: For Keeps
    09 Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 SE Auto: For Keeps

Quote Originally Posted by Samusha View Post
    I found myself in a similar situation this past Saturday evening. Unfortunately, my Fortuner had to be put on a flatbed, spent the rest of the weekend at my insurance's storage, then dropped of at McCarthy Toyota Midrand on Monday. They replaced 2 fuses (stop lamps and indicators) and the problem was gone. I wish I had come across this post before the roadside assistance took my car away.

After paying for 0.0166666666666 hrs of labour (R17.07 inc vat), I picked up by car. I even got a free car wash from Toyota.

I need to get the wiring for my trailer checked since it is the first suspect for the blown fuses.

It is actually quite scary how systems are being intertwined. I had a problem years ago with my T5 carravelle when the lights were erratic,hooter didn't work nor indicators, landed up being the brake light switch that needed replacing. A person nowadays has to look past the obvious to repair a small glitch.

Glad you came right though
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

lots of inconvenience for bloody fuse.

i hope you learn your lesson!
    when car is dirty - blow the fuse