Default Nissan Navara roof rack noise

I've had a FrontRunner roof rack on my Navara DC since 2010 with no problems but now all of a sudden it is creating a noise like a fan running at high speed between 100kph and 120kph (no load). I took the rack off and the noise disappeared so I am convinced the roof rack is the culprit.
    I suspect it can be solved with a wind deflector but there seems to be disagreement on their effectiveness if I read the threads (mostly from Discovery owners).
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Nissan Navara roof rack noise

Hi
    I have a Pathfinder with a home made roofrack and it originally had quite a lot of windnoise.
    I then remembered I still had the old plastic 'chin' spoiler from my Disco 3 which I traded on the Pathy (it was knocked off in the Okavango). I fitted that upside down across the front of the rack so that its flush to the roof and acts as a deflector. The noise is now much less as I guess there's less wind resistance.

I dont know the Front runner rack, but maybe youve lost some plastic end pieces off the rails, as 'open' tubes will create wind noise?

Thanks Geoff. I have since decided that the rack is worth leaving in the garage until I need it again. I put the original roof rails back and the noise is gone and I suspect my fuel consumption is better. Now that I know it is the roof rack causing the noise I will live with it when I use it. In any case, it only does it when not loaded so when I put it back it iwll be loaded most of the time.

I experienced the same problem with my Navara after removing the rack to polish the roof. Close inspection revealed that the front cross bar/fin has a arrow indicating the correct way to fit the bar.
    If you look closely you will note that the bar is slightly offset like a airplane prop. Fit it the wrong way round and it makes a noise.
    Hope this will help.

Thanks Merwede, I will have a look but I have had this rack since 2010 and there was never a problem. The possibility is though that it may have shifted slightly over time.