Kagalagadi - Mabua to KAA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kagalagadi - Mabua to KAA

Good Day,

I have read all the threads on Kaa and Mabua and nothing comes up on the trail from Mabua to Kaa. Has anybody done this trip and if so can I take my trailer along (I know that this question does release allot of different opinions of whether a trailer can be taken on trails or not). How long does this trip take?

Your help will be appreciated.

Wolfgang

Default Re: Kagalagadi - Mabua to KAA

I spoke to somebody who did the trip about a year ago and he said it was very overgrown and difficult to do.
    BlinkGat Products
    Manufacturing of Aluminium
    custom made Products
    Sarel 082 820 9413
    www.blinkgatproducts.com

Your best bet is to exit the main Mabua gate, travel north to the cutline that is the border of the reserve and then travel north west to Kaa gate on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Your best bet is to exit the main Mabua gate, travel north to the cutline that is the border of the reserve and then travel north west to Kaa gate on that.
    Is it allowed to do an overnight stop/camp on the cutline?
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

Quote Originally Posted by SAWolfman View Post
    Good Day,

I have read all the threads on Kaa and Mabua and nothing comes up on the trail from Mabua to Kaa. Has anybody done this trip and if so can I take my trailer along (I know that this question does release allot of different opinions of whether a trailer can be taken on trails or not). How long does this trip take?

Your help will be appreciated.

Wolfgang
    There is no such thing as a trail from Mabua to Kaa - sorry.
    The Trail from Mabua section into Nossob valley is not leading to Kaa but to Nossob.
    If you talk about a "trail" then it would be this one.
    Unfortunately you are not allowed a trailer and it's only possible (legally) in convoy, with a compulsory overnight stop on demarcated camp site.
    Hence a 2 day trip.

If you talk of the trail to Kaa then it would start in Polentswa and return into the Nossob valley after 2 nights / 3 days.
    The trailer and convoy issues apply.

But, there is a public road (2-way) between Bosobologo (Mabua section) and Nossob and from Nossob valley to Kaa gate.
    These are NOT trails and you can make use of them at your discretion if booked at relevant camps on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by skala View Post
    Is it allowed to do an overnight stop/camp on the cutline?
    Yes, overnighting allowed in cut line, but not for longer than a night in one spot.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

When is everybody going to KAA. We will be there in March

so, is it allowed to do an overnight stop/camp on the cutline?

Any views on this?

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

There is no such thing as a trail from Mabua to Kaa - sorry.
    If you look at the newest map, there is a trail in the map from Mabuasehube to Kaa area,
    in the route description marked as Mabua - Kaa 4x4 Trail - two way route.

Its not visible on the online map, but in the printed map. Also on the T4A:

Wolfgang, don't take a trailer on these roads.

I guess you will not drive only there, probably also the Nossob Boso 4x4 access road
    or the Kannaguass Kaa 4x4 access road ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2016/02/13 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    If you look at the newest map, there is a trail in the map from Mabuasehube to Kaa area,
    in the route description marked as Mabua - Kaa 4x4 Trail - two way route.

Its not visible on the online map, but in the printed map. Also on the T4A:

Wolfgang, don't take a trailer on these roads.

I guess you will not drive only there, probably also the Nossob Boso 4x4 access road
    or the Kannaguass Kaa 4x4 access road ?

Thanks Southerndreams for the update, I was not aware of this direct track, so could come as a good alternative.

If it is 2-way allowed then I don't think it would be classified as a typical "trail" meaning you can drive it solo, you can tow, you don't need to book, very much like the Southern connection between Bosobogolo and Nossob.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

I have had chatted to the Chief ranger for the Bots side of Kgalagadi, and to those at mabua gate, at various times and they have all said that the road is not "open" as there has been no maintenance on it.

I suggest that if you decide to drive it, advise the Mabua gate in case you run into problems. Preferrably have a Sat phone with Mabua and Kaa gate numbers.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by trooper View Post
    I have had chatted to the Chief ranger for the Bots side of Kgalagadi, and to those at mabua gate, at various times and they have all said that the road is not "open" as there has been no maintenance on it.

I suggest that if you decide to drive it, advise the Mabua gate in case you run into problems. Preferrably have a Sat phone with Mabua and Kaa gate numbers.
    Ill be there beginning of May and check the route out and ask how the estate is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Thanks Southerndreams for the update, I was not aware of this direct track, so could come as a good alternative.

If it is 2-way allowed then I don't think it would be classified as a typical "trail" meaning you can drive it solo, you can tow, you don't need to book, very much like the Southern connection between Bosobogolo and Nossob.
    I'm not sure if you know how bad the tracks are on the Boso-Nossob access road, but this comes ONLY from people driving with fully pumped tyres and from people towing trailers there.

When towing a trailer from Nossob to Boso you can ruin it (the trailer), as there are just a few, but some very difficult corners at the beginning where it goes up the dunes.

I'm not sure why people must advertise that its ok towing trailers through Mabua, there's no reason for that.

I've seen those SA convois going there with heavy Echos and Conquerors, fully equipped, but otherwise no idea as well as tourists from overseas with as well no idea.

If you need to drive those roads after one of the two, thank you.

The only way going into and out of Mabua with a trailer is from the Mabua side.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    I'm not sure if you know how bad the tracks are on the Boso-Nossob access road, but this comes ONLY from people driving with fully pumped tyres and from people towing trailers there.

When towing a trailer from Nossob to Boso you can ruin it (the trailer), as there are just a few, but some very difficult corners at the beginning where it goes up the dunes.

I'm not sure why people must advertise that its ok towing trailers through Mabua, there's no reason for that.

I've seen those SA convoys going there with heavy Echos and Conquerors, fully equipped, but otherwise no idea as well as tourists from overseas with as well no idea.

If you need to drive those roads after one of the two, thank you.

The only way going into and out of Mabua with a trailer is from the Mabua side.

Believe me I know that route well.
    I have been through this link on dozens of occasions and always towing an off road trailer (not caravan).
    I never had an issue apart from once when I had to return for a second attempt on the dunes coming towards Nossob (the one with the right hand bend in the ascent).

Only issue is corrugation and little alternatives to avoid driving it, but with tyres down to 1.2-1.4 bar it was all plain sailing.

I never cooked the shocks either as I was driving slow but steady with loads of photo stops.

As for why to take the trailers, many people have resorted to kit out trailers instead of the vehicle, obvious advantage is the game drive from the camp site and the use of the vehicle for other purposes when not on safari, so "yes" there are more of "those" and obviously more damage to the tracks as a consequence.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Believe me I know that route well.
    And that's exactly the problem. YOU know it.

You've been there many times, like we did, you know how to drive the tracks with a trailer, deflate tyres and and and.

The guys that go there because they've read about in the Getaway magazine, they've got that R 300.000 trailer that they use once a year
    on their 11 days Botswana trip, don't know that at all.

But I'm gonna end here as we've high jacked the thread, sorry....

BTW in the previous Getaway magazine they wrote that roads in Kgalagadi are SEDAN friendly.

And sorry Wolfgang, I don't want to say that you're such a person ....
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2016/02/16 at 02:50 PM.

Theroad from Mabua to Kaa is there but not many people drive it. Last year we met a couple wo did it and they said it was very very overgrown.

They leave Kaa early morning and were about 4 o clock at Mabua. Lots of small bushes overgrown the road.

The better road is out on the cutline and that road is easy driving. The last 30 kilosbefore KAA was sandy but one of our group tow a trailor and we dont have problems.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

The road on the cutline is easy. You can leave Mabua at 8 and can be at 4 at Kaa. Just remember if you bushcamp on your way, not on the Park side, on the other side. And about 40 kilos before Kaa there is the Jack Norris pans where you can camp wild,
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Kalahari Safari, thanks for info on cut line overnight camp.

we drove the Kaa/Mabua cutline in October last year. Absolutely fine. But had a lion rush out at us from the side of the road near Bushy pan. Strange behaviour; so not sure if I want to camp that cutline!! But did see an amazing herd of eland, 100's....... Some quite heavy sand as you get nearer Kaa, a bit of low range if you are pulling a trailer; and make sure you have deflated your tyres.

The track from mabua direct to Kaa will be graded, apparently sometime this year - according to two of the rangers i have got to know at the Mabua gate.
    Can't wait
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

19. The Following User Says Thank You to trooper For This Useful Post:

Thank You for all your responses!

The thinking was to travel the road less traveled and thus the idea of taking the Mabua - Kaa trail.

I have done many a trip with trailer in tow and even without trailer in tow traveling in soft sand is always done with deflated wheels. Its only idiots that want to prove a point about how far their 4x4 can go without deflation and lazy people that don't deflate tyres. With tyres on both Car and Trailer at 1.2 bar and some common sense and you should not damage the tracks.

By the sounds of it the Mabua - KAA trail will be awesome. I am planning to do it in June this year and if anybody has done it before then I would love to hear from you.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, I'll be there there in May and have a look at the track and also chat to the guys at the gate.

When latest do you need the info?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast