TV - 12 volt ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TV - 12 volt ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

Default Re: TV - 12 volt ?

Own battery pack! Thanks for the post
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

PC monitors with an external power supply usually work on 14 or 19 volts.

I am led to believe the 14V versions may run with 12V but you just missed the chance to test it with me. I threw out a Samsung 14V monitor and the power supply a few months ago... not taking a signal, but the menu on the screen was working...

Maybe someone has the something like that to test now?
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I have been building cheap (+/- R500) 12V 2-4A DC TVs for quite some time as a hobby; many have been given to friends and family. I convert almost any "dead" LCD PC screen to a working 12V 1080p HDTV with 1x VGA, 1xHDMI, 1xComposite (for DVD-Player), 1xUSB (media on ext. HDD), 1xstereo sound in (PC sound), 1x headphone socket, 1xAntenna Jack (Analogue) It also includes an IR remote to navigate the TVs functions and settings. Works great on 12V solar and camper setups. If you are interested in making your own; read on:

Most people chuck their old "dead" flatscreen LCD PC screens not knowing they can often be rescued or up-cycled to a 12V DC HDTV with media playback capabilities.

You do not need to be a rocket scientist to build an 12V TV either. There are several "Chinesium" boards/kits available that would replace the dead internals of an LCD TV or computer LCD screen. I like using PC LCD screens as they are quite light, have good resolution, and multiple mounting options with their VESA bracketry. It is also easy to source these "dead" PC LCD screens from businesses, friends and family. The LCD panel is the expensive part of the screen, and most often would still be O.K. as the power supply board, or CCFL inverters are normally the first to go.

South-African TV signals are transmitted in DVB-T2, which is a UHF digital terrestrial signal standard. Some of the boards I use, as well as most smart TVs today, has a DVB-T2/S2 receiver built in (no set-top box needed). However, the cheapest conversion kits for around R450 only supports analog TV (needs the set-top box). The build/conversion process is easy enough, makes a nice weekend project, but not quick plug&play, and you will need little skill&patience for modifications, along with very basic electronic and soldering skills.

If you need an even smarter TV, add an Android TV-box or configure a Raspberry Pi4 as media player, internet browser and Games console.

My full build instructions and 3d-printable designs can be downloaded for free from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4179011 The 3d files feature a printable design for an enclosure that screws onto the back of the screen to house the "new" electronics. The enclosure makes the job much neater and easier.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kruiwa For This Useful Post:

I have one of the first TVs that Kruiwa did. Run it mostly off an old PC power supply that feeds via a cigarette socket. I use a splitter which has a USB charger, which drives a set of PC speakers, as the old Packard Bell screen had crappy sound. USB charges phones at the same time. When ESKOM dies, plug out and goes directly into 12v socket in the caravan which runs off the solar.

Since February, that TV runs from 7am till just after midnight every day. I use the USB input with a drive which periodically gets loaded with new movies and series off the PC. We don't watch TV stations, only movies.

Let me turn around and take a peek through the caravan window. 3deg out here in the tent, wife in bed watching the TV, lol..

A close up... of the TV setup

This has been a life saver for us as long term campers. I just wish I had a bracket for wall mount, as space is at a premium.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the useful suggestions and comments.

I do have an inverter on the boat. I am trying to keep the number of devices using it to a minimum to save power.

I also have two Raspberry Pi's on the boat which need to be connected to the TV:

- one for navigation using https://www.rooco.eu/products/moites...-ais-receiver/ and https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

- another as a Kodi media player.

Neil: The Orion solar TV seems ideal, but is now sold out, I think. Are there any alternative suppliers?

Kruiwa: I seriously considering your suggestion to modify an existing TV. Now I must find the right TV to modify?

Thanks again for all the useful suggestions

Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Thank you for all the useful suggestions and comments.Now I must find the right TV to modify?Max
    Do yourself a favour and check the new TVs that are on the shelves in the shops. It's not going to be long before TVs are the same as every other electronic widget and is supplied by a power adapter that supplies the TV with 12V or 24V!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Mackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Thank you for all the useful suggestions and comments.

I do have an inverter on the boat. I am trying to keep the number of devices using it to a minimum to save power.

I also have two Raspberry Pi's on the boat which need to be connected to the TV:

- one for navigation using https://www.rooco.eu/products/moites...-ais-receiver/ and https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

- another as a Kodi media player.

Neil: The Orion solar TV seems ideal, but is now sold out, I think. Are there any alternative suppliers?

Kruiwa: I seriously considering your suggestion to modify an existing TV. Now I must find the right TV to modify?

Thanks again for all the useful suggestions

Max
    I use a UBEC converter used by drone and RC enthusiasts to supply my Pi with a regulated 5V from 12V.

If you do decide to go the DIY route, scour a few PC-repair shops for as many LCD screens as you can find. The ones in my town are quite happy for someone to clear out their "junk" for free. Work through the pile and pick the best ones, the "leftover" ones you can strip down the panel even further by removing the LCD & polarising films from the panel itself, and just drive them with an inverter board only, thus creating an excellent diffused light panel for photographic or general lighting purposes as the light temps of the panel is close to that of natural light.

Besides size, you should also consider the resolution and type of panel, LED backlit is lightest, runs cooler, uses less power than CCFL. IPS and TFT LCD screens also gives the best viewing angles with IPS type screens having the better colour reproduction.

My current flavour is a 32" LED IPS PC screen with one of the digital receiver cards, makes for a 2K native resolution screen with excellent viewing angles.

Might be wrong here, but also have a look at some of the Chinese/Bangladeshi/Pakistani shops for the Ecco brand TVs, they supposedly run on 12V. Did not see a price unfortunately but heard prices range from about R1500 to R3500.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kruiwa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kruiwa View Post
    Might be wrong here, but also have a look at some of the Chinese/Bangladeshi/Pakistani shops for the Ecco brand TVs, they supposedly run on 12V. Did not see a price unfortunately but heard prices range from about R1500 to R3500.
    I've been watching to see if TVs have finally given up on their internal mains power supply and use the usual external PSU (like laptops) but haven't noticed it yet..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2