Discovery 3 Disco 3 TDV6 Crank Replacement - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Disco 3 TDV6 Crank Replacement

Sell your TDV6 and buy a v8. Replace the waterpump and associated plumbing. Don't worry. POWER!
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    Thanks all for the posts.

As most say, leaving it alone would seem to be the best.

And its time anyway for the next cam belt change I think, so another oil pump will go in as well.

Georgecape: Yes, please send workshop recommendations.
    First recommendation is John Falconer at Rosenpark Motors, just off Durban rd, Kenridge/Durbanville ph 021 914 0729. Old school veteran workshop and knows Landy's well. Website www.rosenparkmotors.co.za
    Good luck.
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by georgecape View Post
    First recommendation is John Falconer at Rosenpark Motors, just off Durban rd, Kenridge/Durbanville ph 021 914 0729. Old school veteran workshop and knows Landy's well. Website www.rosenparkmotors.co.za
    Good luck.
    Thanks Georgecape

One question.

For 322 000km everything has been fine even the compressor and now you want to fiddle with things?

That's the last thing I would do.

I would not even touch the oil pump, or change workshops.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Quote Originally Posted by rabbiddog View Post
    One question.

For 322 000km everything has been fine even the compressor and now you want to fiddle with things?

That's the last thing I would do.

I would not even touch the oil pump, or change workshops.
    Rabbiddog,

Point taken. Not that everything has been completely fine, things have been done over the years, EPB, high pressure fuel pump, lower front arms, etc. Oil pump has never been changed though, and the bottom end is untouched.

This D3 was driven around 100km per day for most of its life, about 20km of that on really "bad" dirt, the rest on tar, but it was generally driven by an employee who was being watched (by the owner's kids in the back of the car!) and so couldn't drill it. Its been really carefully and gently driven. And now its being driven by me, and though I try to be gentle it doesn't always work out that way...

I think if it was clear that there is a crank crack growth problem, and that all cranks would break, then the answer would be easy: change it.

But its not clear, and I am going to do as most posters suggest: leave it in, and deal with it if it happens. Or until there is more clarity on what actually goes wrong and why the cranks break.

If it was susceptible to breaking, I think it would have by now?

The American Air force did an interesting study in maintenance based on the learning that most failures occurred just after maintenance. Thier subsequent process would be off topic. The gist is below.

Human intervention is likely to cause failures that would not have occurred if the machinery was left well alone.
    If it is not life threatening replace on failure as it minimises the risk of knock on failures as per above point.

Based on this if your worried. Bank R 100 000. Collect the interest. If nothing happens you'll have a juicy down payment on the next car. If something does your covered and prepared. If you don't have R 100 000 invest in a good insurance policy and keep driving. Trying to do a preventative repair may cause a turbo, injector or some other failure that will not have occurred if the engine was never disturbed.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

Matt, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMatt View Post
    Human intervention is likely to cause failures that would not have occurred if the machinery was left well alone.
    If it is not life threatening replace on failure as it minimises the risk of knock on failures as per above point.
    To summarise: if it ain't broke then don't fix it

However with the TDV6, once it DOES break, you're in for R60k minimum.

At least it isn't a RR Merlin engine in a P-51 Mustang at 20,000 feet over the North Sea...........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMatt View Post
    The American Air force did an interesting study in maintenance based on the learning that most failures occurred just after maintenance. Thier subsequent process would be off topic. The gist is below.

Based on this if your worried. Bank R 100 000. Collect the interest. If nothing happens you'll have a juicy down payment on the next car. If something does your covered and prepared. If you don't have R 100 000 invest in a good insurance policy and keep driving. Trying to do a preventative repair may cause a turbo, injector or some other failure that will not have occurred if the engine was never disturbed.
    Agree, in aviation we say fiddle fiddle.....f#%ked !!
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Agree, in aviation we say fiddle fiddle.....f#%ked !!
    A little ironic....aviation is the one field where things definitely ARE replaced when they are certainly NOT yet f#%ked!

I think that you cannot say as a general principle "only replace if its broken". Then you would never for instance service your car, nor change your plastic thermostat housing, or your old Hitachi suspension compressor.

The issue here is how certain can you be that its going to break. And the answer seems to be "you cannot be". So in that case, given the choice to replace or not, would you? I have decided not to.

A little ironic....aviation is the one field where things definitely ARE replaced when they are certainly NOT yet f#%ked!

I think that you cannot say as a general principle "only replace if its broken". Then you would never for instance service your car, nor change your plastic thermostat housing, or your old Hitachi suspension compressor.

The issue here is how certain can you be that its going to break. And the answer seems to be "you cannot be". So in that case, given the choice to replace or not, would you? I have decided not to.
    Of course it's a balance, said with a little tongue in cheek.

I have often seen aircraft come out of the hanger with more snags than it went in with.

In your situation I would not touch it.
    Last edited by Byron; 2016/02/01 at 04:02 PM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

In aviation a huge amount of effort is made to calculate and evaluate the lifespan of a part. This part is replaced before expected failure. As a failure tends to mean you don't get home with huge consequential loss. For the most part they touch only parts that need touching.

A good service should be replacing of parts close to their lifetime.
    Replacement of all the essential fluids at their respective lifetimes.
    A visual inspection all components for possible damage
    A check on all functions to ensure correct functioning.

After this you have done what is needed. In a normal service this is pretty much what they do. Nobody dismantles your clutch to tell you, you have another 135 000km's of life left on it. The principal is the same.

The difference was that in the air force they had got into the habit of rebuilding engines every few 1000 hours as they thought it would give a longer life. They found they were wrong. Engines that were not opened generally lasted longer than those that had been "rebuilt". This was traced among other reasons to new parts and old engines needing to re-bed themselves. In the interim there was excessive wear. Also Humans tend to miss the odd essential item.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Of course it's a balance, said with a little tongue in cheek.

I have often seen aircraft come out of the hanger with more snags than it went in with.
    Hey Byron,

Wasn't actually disagreeing with you.....when you are working on an aircraft that was made in 1978 and is still worth USD2.5 million, and there are many of those in RSA, you certainly can break a lot by poking around where the maintenance schedule doesn't say that you HAVE to! So don't poke around in that 1978 King Air, things will break!

Yes, agreed, its about balance, and trying to decipher the risk that you are exposed to. No right or wrong answers. Just opinions of what the better way may be. It really helps to hear what everyone driving a Discovery (and they are generally exposed to the same risks) has to say.

Rabbiddog,

Point taken. Not that everything has been completely fine, things have been done over the years, EPB, high pressure fuel pump, lower front arms, etc. Oil pump has never been changed though, and the bottom end is untouched.

This D3 was driven around 100km per day for most of its life, about 20km of that on really "bad" dirt, the rest on tar, but it was generally driven by an employee who was being watched (by the owner's kids in the back of the car!) and so couldn't drill it. Its been really carefully and gently driven. And now its being driven by me, and though I try to be gentle it doesn't always work out that way...

I think if it was clear that there is a crank crack growth problem, and that all cranks would break, then the answer would be easy: change it.

But its not clear, and I am going to do as most posters suggest: leave it in, and deal with it if it happens. Or until there is more clarity on what actually goes wrong and why the cranks break.
    The things in red are basically ware and tare items, the EPB I hardly use it.

As for the rest, I still believe leave it be.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2