aircon for 4x4 caravan??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default aircon for 4x4 caravan??

Hi there

Perhaps an unusual request.
    Has anybody considered or installed an aircon in there 4x4 caravan....
    I use my caravan(berakha) for dual purposes, both on 4x4 trips and for normal weekends or normal holidays and it would be nice to have an aircon in for "normal" holidays. (I am not looking for a 12v aircon as such!)

I know the "normal" caravan (ie Jurgens) people uses the split units, but I am hesitant to consider it as I am concerned about the pipes leaking/cracking when travelling on dirt roads... (4x4ing)
    I am not travelling with my caravan to try and do bundu bashing, but would do the Kgalagadi with its famous dirt roads. (sinkplaat pad deluxe!)

The reason being that it would be nice to switch on an aircon in the middle of the day when taking a siesta when the temperature hits above 40 degrees....8)

Who had positive or negative experiences with it, please share....
    Any constructive advise would be appreciated.

The things to consider is the type, wall mounted type, mobile (not preferred), split, other?
    Where to place it, front, back, through the window (and change my window to open like a normal caravan type) with the wallmounted on a bracket that I have to put up every time...
    any other creative ideas....

Much Appreciated
    Adriaan Odendaal
    Centurion

An AC-Unit is very power hungry .... how do you plan on running the AC?.
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    Wat trou by sy gewete bly
    As hy straf in plaas van beloning kry.
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

Default Power for ac - not a problem

Before I switched to a "dual purpose" caravan I had a Jurgens Penta for normal holidays and tent for 4x4. In the Penta I used the normal 12,000 BTU aircon, the wall type and even in the Kruger with only 10 Amps it worked, I think they draw at startup just below 10 Amps and thereafter ave about 5 amps. So normally I plugged in the power, get the fridge quickly cold and near the time that the tent was erected, switched on the air con and by I had no problems. It only tripped once at Letaba.

In Dec, even the night temperature are above 30 degrees with sometimes the humidaty as high as 85%. Not a nice experience without an aircon...

just stick a normal window wall under the bed!
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Ok, works where there is 220v supply. But what about out in the grammadoelas?

Going to use an inverter? Generator?
    Frik Eloff

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

gramadoelas vrek jy van die hitte, of n 3 kw genie!
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Adriaan,

Look on your nearest lamp pole and you will see some okie who advertises aircons for corsas and the likes.

From what I can gather, those little units appear to work of electricity - and are not connected to the car's pulley / fan belt.

Maybe it would be possible to get hold of one of them and modify it for your caravan?

Quote Originally Posted by Eben View Post
    Adriaan,

Look on your nearest lamp pole and you will see some okie who advertises aircons for corsas and the likes.

From what I can gather, those little units appear to work of electricity - and are not connected to the car's pulley / fan belt.

Maybe it would be possible to get hold of one of them and modify it for your caravan?
    Correct, my brother had an earlier-model Daewoo Matiz until recently, and its AC was also electric. Don't know if it would be efficient enough for an area as large as the inside of a caravan though.

When we do "rule of thumb" calculations on installation of HVAC units, for typical residential developments etc.; we use the following criterea:

600Btu/m^2 and add to that another 600Btu/Person in the room. That should give you an idea of typical capacity that you would require.
    Frik Eloff

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

Adriaan.

Ek het eenkeer 'n ou gesien wat 'n gewone "single unit" saamry en as hy stop druk hy dit deur die venster met voete aan die buite kant. Sodoende kan jy dit by die huis los op 4x4 trips. Ek is nie heeltemal seker die karavaan park ouens gaan jou baie laaik as jy 20A begin trek nie ......
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Default single unit

Dit is presies wat ek gedoen het toe ek die Penta nog gehad het. Dit het baie goed gewerk. Ek het toe die res van die venster met 'n plaat toegemaak. Die aircon (12,000 BTU) het minder as 10 Amp getrek met startup. Die karavaan was dan 16 grade binne, dit was fantasties. Dis hoekom dit nog steeds een van my opsies is om die 4x4 karavaan se venster, wat 'n skuif venster is, uit te haal en dan 'n karavaan venster in te sit wat oplig. Dan kan ek dieselfde kontrapsie daar insit. Die enigste nadeel met die opset was, die aircons weeg so 35 kilogram so ek het gewoonli goeie oefing gekry om dit elke keer uit te haal en op die voetstuk te plaas....

If I am in the gramadoelas, I will not be using the aircon. (So no inverters...) For those trips, I am prepared to face the heat, it is more when I go more than a week to a holiday destinations or those nice weekends away that I am considering the aircon.

Then why just go with the 12000 BTU mobile, loose standing units where you can move it about, use it at home ... drop the hot air pipe out through a window?
    Frik Eloff

Gee my 'n man
    Wat sÍ wat waar is
    As die duiwel daar is
    Wat doen wat reg is
    As die regter weg is
    ~ C.J. Langenhoven

Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post
    Then why just go with the 12000 BTU mobile, loose standing units where you can move it about, use it at home ... drop the hot air pipe out through a window?
    Spasie in die karavaan raak beperk!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Adriaan, hang af waar jy die los unit gaan sit wat jy nie oorweeg nie. Het ook die 12000btu salton gebruik wat heel goed werk vir sy grootte. Dit is die kleinste van die los eenhede. Pyp by die vloer se uitlaat laat uitgaan. Ja jou spasie is beperk. Ek het van 'n karavaan na 'n tent trailer oorgeslaan. Die Conquest met sy tent is ietwat groter as 'n karavaan opgeslaan. Sit die aircon nou in die tent gedeelte en maak die slaapplek bo en onder nou lekker koel. Daarby saam gebruik en ook die silwer screen wat niemand van hou nie. Ek kies egter vroegtydig my staanplek vir die rede. Kamp nie daarsonder in die somer nie. Die verskil is egter tot soveel as 6grade koeler met die sreen by. Het dit verlede jaar in Oos Transvaal gebruik op die tent trailer en by die see oor Desember maande.

Hi Adriaan,

Ek het n 07 Explorer 1 wat ek n boks tiepe AC laat insit in die neus kas. Hulle het die 1 gas bottel uitgeskuif buitekant toe om plek te maak. Hy blaas dan van agter die yskas uit as die yskas uitgetrek is. Het al n trip van 8500 km deur Namibia gedoen sonder enige probleme.(het natuurlik hom net gebuik waar daar krag was). Nelspruit Caravans (Camp world) het dit vir my gedoen.Kontak gerus vir Hannes en gesels met hom daaroor.0824259790. Ek het hom ingesit vir ons wildtuin trips en hy werk fantasties!!

Dankie

Ek het met 'n Gert Visagie in Valhalla gepraat wat oa die boks tipe aircon in die Explorer insit.(Hy het nog nooit die berakaha gesien nie.) Hy gaan volgende week by my kom loer. Die verskil met die Explorer vs die Berakaha is die tent wat voor oopslaan vir slaapplek.

Ek is bly om te hoor dat selfs die losstaande eenheid selfs in 'n tent vertrek koud maak. Ek was ietwat bekommerd daaroor.

Ek het ook laasjaar die silwer skerm oor die tent getrek. Dit werk! Ook in die kruger wildtuin. Was April maand daar en het ook temperature van oor die 36 grade geslaan.

Wat my karavaan het wat ek wil loer of dit 'n opsie is, ek het 2 bokse agter bo by die karavaan vir pak plek. Die berakaha is so gemaak, party vat nie die boksie nie en pak hout daar ens. Ek wil kyk of mens die aircon daar kan insit. Gewig so ver agter is een van die risikos.

Ek het reeds 2 spaarwiele agter op. Ek het egter ook daar agter pak plek vir 2 jerry cans agter wat ook 40kg is, as dit vol is, so dit is ongeveer die gewig van 'n aircon. Ek sal maar moet sien wat seg die persoon.

Dankie oor die Salton, ek loop reeds met 'n maatband rond as ek 'n mobile een sien. Die naaste was game se special met 'n 10,000BTU, maar dit het maar so bietjie "flimsy" gelyk....
    Last edited by Adriaan Odendaal; 2008/10/02 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan Odendaal View Post
    Hi there

Perhaps an unusual request.
    Has anybody considered or installed an aircon in there 4x4 caravan....
    I use my caravan(berakha) for dual purposes, both on 4x4 trips and for normal weekends or normal holidays and it would be nice to have an aircon in for "normal" holidays. (I am not looking for a 12v aircon as such!)
    Dunno how good your German is, but Waeco makes one

http://www.waeco.com/de/396.php

Donald P

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserUser View Post
    Dunno how good your German is, but Waeco makes one
    Here is the english version.

http://www.waeco.com/en/396.php

And another... with prices in pounds - eina

http://www.obrienscamping.co.uk/air_conditioners.htm
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post

And another... with prices in pounds - eina

http://www.obrienscamping.co.uk/air_conditioners.htm
    But nearly 20% of that price is made up of VAT. Then there's the dealers 25% markup.

I wonder if the local Waeco agents would be interested in bringing some of these in?

Default Webasto

It is similar to the Webasto product:
    http://www.webasto.co.za/general/en/3275_3296.html
    Die probleem met die is hulle is duur omdat hulle op 12v ook werk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast