Discovery 1 V8 Reliability - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: V8 Reliability

Default Re: V8 Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Bosveld Tv View Post
    I am about to look at a Disco 1 with the V8 motor . It has 176000km on the clock . Are parts still available for these motors and what am I looking at to do a major overhaul if needed . Thank you in advance .
    Parts are still available, so no issues there.

As a rule of thumb, unless the engine has been abused with irregular oil changes or overheated they are good, robust engines.

Open the oil filler cap and peek inside, if it's a dark honey to brown colour, then chances are good it's been looked after, but if it's black and ugly, then you will probably be in for a cam and lifters before long. Be aware that the engine will run with little sign of distress with a cam lobe almost completely rounded off, so if you do buy it, whip the tappet covers off and have a good look at the camshaft. If you do the cam, replace the lifters as well, and the chain and sprockets while it's all opened up.

If it's been cooked, then you may be in for heads being skimmed or worst case, replaced and depending on the bores, either a rebore/reliner or if no bad wear, hone, new rings and bearings.

If you skim the heads, there is a check on the rocker pedestals for binding that may require them to be shimmed for the correct height. Having said that, if it's a first skim, then you should be within tolerance without shims.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

"so if you do buy it, whip the tappet covers off and have a good look at the camshaft."

Not trying to be funny but how do you do that on a V8, the camshaft is under the valley gasket, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by tripodontour View Post
    "so if you do buy it, whip the tappet covers off and have a good look at the camshaft."

Not trying to be funny but how do you do that on a V8, the camshaft is under the valley gasket, or am I missing something?
    yep, you caught him out nicely there

you'd need to remove the manifold and the valley gasket

maybe he meant the rocker shafts?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I wasn't trying to catch anyone out, I was was just trying to learn something new??!Q!

Lets not remove the exhaust manifold!!!

John did say the tappet cover so he probably meant the rocker arms not the cam shaft

As I understand the very early 3.5 Lt v8 defenders were pretty bullet proof.

The 3.9 , 4.0 and 4.6 had an issue with the block cracking. It happened to a couple of mates and once the block went you were in for big money.

I am not sure what the % incidence of cracked blocks was on the 3.9 and 4.6 Ltr v8s is because - Landrover. There will be a lot of info on the google on this issue. I would expect the early disco 1s would now be very tired.

On a d1 I would give serious thought to a Lexus or ls swap if the engine gave issues.

Remember your ZDDP additive with a good synthetic oil to protect cam and followers!

2003 LR Discovery 2 GS V8
    2013 LR Discovery SDV6 SE (SWAMBO)
    2014 BMW X5M

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Toytjie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripodontour View Post

Sorry, I wasn't clearer.
    The V8 tends to wear it's camshafts out, so whip the tappet covers off, and the spark plugs to make it easier to turn the engine over, then turn the engine looking at each rocker individually to see if it has the same range of motion as the rest. If one or more shows less movement, then you may have a problem.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    As I understand the very early 3.5 Lt v8 defenders were pretty bullet proof.

The 3.9 , 4.0 and 4.6 had an issue with the block cracking. It happened to a couple of mates and once the block went you were in for big money.

I am not sure what the % incidence of cracked blocks was on the 3.9 and 4.6 Ltr v8s is because - Landrover. There will be a lot of info on the google on this issue. I would expect the early disco 1s would now be very tired.

On a d1 I would give serious thought to a Lexus or ls swap if the engine gave issues.
    not only cracked blocks: porous blocks and slipped liners as well, but MOST of these would be as a result of an over-heating incident.

That's why I always say: if the previous owner mentions cylinder heads and over-heating, rather step away.

And unless they have been servicing regularly with a decent ZDDP oil, then also rather walk away.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Hydraulic lifters can get a bit clickety
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

From my experience the engine internals will go a very long way, even if you pick up a bit of cam wear and lifter clicking, your biggest time investment will go into replacing all the rubber hoses at that age, from radiator, heater hoses, power steering, gearbox cooler pipes, oil cooler pipes etc etc. With age they go vrot and expire one after the other with the heat environment around the V8. The vacuum advance diaphram also suffers the same fate.

The viscous fan will also need replacement after many years, and then the big ticket stuff is the Throttle Position Sensor and the Mass Airflow meter on the EFI models, and made from unobtanium. Do not buy Chinese copies from e-Bay, even if its shipped from the USA, they do not work.

My 3.9 engine in the Disco 1 had slipped liners and the previous owner went to great lenghts to have it rebuilt with T-top liners, flowed heads, RPI cam etc, but it was still under powered. By chance I removed the plenum top only to find that the inlet stacks had become undone. Two short ones came out completely rolling around the place, two long ones moved up to the plenum roof almost cutting of air supply to those cilinders and the rest was inbetween the place.

I used Locktite to retain them properly and now its a different motor, revving freely to the red line, but need some work setting up the sensors and airflow meter as it runs rich at idle.

The V8 only need lots petrol and a smell of water and oil to run, I'll take it any day over ten TDi motors.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

My disco 1 3.9 is on 180 000km now and never had problems , not using oil and no noises inside the engine at all , when idling you can hardly hear the motor , I installed Stromberg carbs after a spitronic installation where a disaster , installers crappy work , I'm using the spitronics still to run the spark from a chopper plate on the crank and will later go back to fuel injection when there is time to do it myself. Did a 4900 km trip last year from pe to the Richtersveld down the westcoast and the d1 behaved like new car , not one problem exept for the drinking problem. I use zink additive in my oil to safe the camshaft.
    Range Rover Sport SC 4.2 V8 ( FATBOY )
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )
    Austin Mini 1380cc ( Finiky )

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lazyboy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2