Advice re 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series 4.5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice re 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series 4.5

I'm interested in buying this vehicle
    2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series 4.5
    R 349 995
    Mileage = 120,000km

Seller's comments are below.

Not interested in what it looks like, scratches etc. All I'm interested in mechanical reliability and that it's basically a sound vehicle.

Anything to watch out for since it's not diesel?
    Any questions I should be asking the seller?

Dankie mense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seller's comments
    Meano double cab conversion, lock-up alucab alliminium canopy, running boards, tow hitch, 4 x low mileage hercules, Mud Terrain tyres - 2 x BFG Mud Terrain spare wheels on rear of canopy fitted on swinging wheel arms and 1 x std spare wheel fitted underside, 2 x used spare BFG Tyres, 2 x gas bottle holders on spare wheels with cylinders, canvas seat covers with pockets , back seat watertight compartment, 9500 Warn Winch - steel cable and remote operating electrical cable, 2 x 50 watt warn spots, alu samp guard, stainless steel performance power flow exhauast pipe (fuel saving system), dual battery system - 4 x Bosch Silver Calcium @ 102 ah each 408 amp total, 12 v compressor (in bonnet).
    Last edited by Kalahari9999; 2016/01/23 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Left out mileage

Default Mileage = 120,000km

Forgot to say mileage = 120,000km

Seems quite a steep price for a 2005 model. Single cabs are closer to the R250k region so you'll have to decide if the mods to it are worth it.

I don't see a second tank so with the 4.5's legendary drinking ability, range will be limited. Also, big negative in my view, for the price, is that it predates the dual locker era.

On the mechanical question, words don't say much so you'll have to look and see. If the 120k km odo is true and it hasn't been abused, there is little that goes wrong with these. If you think the 1HZ lasts, double your expectation and this is how long the 4.5 lasts.
    Last edited by locklaw; 2016/01/23 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks Locklaw - valuable advice. Just re-read the ad and says transmission is automatic - seems to make this thing a no-no. I assumed they were all manual.

On your advice, if I'm buying a landcruiser with aim of 2 months in the bush every year, and no interest in anything fancy, just solid and reliable, 4.2d might be the best bet?

4.5 is also bullet proof with stronger gearbox. For the amount of time you want to use I will go petrol.

For your intended use Kalahari, I think either the petrol or diesel will be fine. As long as it's not abused and regularly maintained, all should be good. If there is a fault it should show itself.

If you're not going to tow/carry heavy loads for extended periods, the weaker gearbox of the diesel is fine.

You can buy a VERY nice sub 100 000km V6 DC , with basically all those extras, at R 50 000 more. With a FSH from TSA.
    EG - I sold my 2013 V6DC, 46000km, alu canopy, ARB, seat covers, mags, new tyres, spats, 220 000 km Warranty, FSH, tow bar - R 439 900.
    If you got R 350 000 for a converted DC EFI, you also have R 420 000 +- for the real mackoy.
    My 2c.
    To summarise - that seller is mad with his price. Does'nt matter if the thing is gold plated.
    Also remember - extras are ONLY worth something if you really need them.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

It is overpriced but every cruiser is overpriced. For what it is worth, I would never consider a V6 over the 4500 EFI. If you would add all of those extras anyway, it is worth considering, I suppose. That mileage is amazing and I'm sure that you know that these cruisers are good for 500 000KM +.
    For when you need real power!

Thanks guys for all the info. So if these are my parameters, can you advise me:

[1] Want it to be a Landcruiser.
    [2] Budget = approx R350k.
    [3] 4 passengers so needs to be a twincab at least.
    [4] Needs extras as 2 months bush-time p/a. But can add them myself over time.
    [5] Ideal mileage around 100,000km I guess.
    [6] Just want a solid, reliable non-nonsense vehicle.
    [7] Recommended sellers/dealers?
    Last edited by Kalahari9999; 2016/01/23 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Kalahari in my opinion, cruiser definitely. You mentioned the one has a auto box in. I would not buy it. I will look for a stock one with extras on because I think you will pay less for it on then putting them on. But what extras do you really need. I like Petri's idea and it will last you a life time.

Ja thanks Japie - stock with a few extras seems to best route...

Kalahari, I don't see load carrying capacity on your list. When you're going to the bush, is it to camp/overland or to hunt or such things?

If you don't need to load carcasses and such you may be able to also look at an outfitted station wagon.

If load carrying capacity is a requirement, you will invariably only have a DC as an option.

For dealers, Petri who commented on here is a well known forum dealer in (amongst others) Cruisers but cannot say so since he is not a commercial member. So I will say so since from what I've seen on this and the Cruiser forum Petri is, notwithstanding being a car dealer and the stigma associated therewith (meant with utter respect oom Petri!), an incredibly honest man who values rather forming a long time relationship with clients than to see how much he can get out of a person in one go.

I say the above without having been a client of oom Petri or any vested interest in his business. Purely an observation from an utterly sceptical person who does not trust easily.

Ja it's just overland camping through Bots/Zim/Zambia/Moz/Nam - no big loads, so agree, outfitted station wagon def an option

Kalahari :

1) Are you married, if kids, how many??
    2) Will your wife also use this Cruiser??
    3) Would you use it as a daily drive, in traffic??
    4) How capable should it be for your application - do you do overland trips, or would you also like to take this on an occasional 4x4 trail??
    5) Do you have a caravan/trailer/boat that you'd like to tow, or do you plan on getting one?
    6) Do you like a Defender/76/Gelandewagen "concept", or more a Prado/Disco/Pajero/Cruiser 100 ??

If you are hellbent on a Cruiser, why not a 76 with the 1HZ? It is slow and towing can be painfully frustrating but it is reliable and simple and the 4.2D 76 Cruisers are acceptably priced.
    For when you need real power!

Agree with above post - one of the VERY best Cruisers you can buy - the 76 1HZ Diesel. And that 1HZ is the best in slow offroad work like rocks, just chugging along in 1st gear. It NEVER stalls.
    Prices are reasonable, between 250 and 300k for a nice one.
    Packing space at the back is limited - but this is also subjective......what's small to me may be more than adequate to you. And when off to the bush, you gonna use a roofrack anyway, 99% of the time.

1) Are you married, if kids, how many??

Two teenagers.

2) Will your wife also use this Cruiser??

Ja - on overland trips.

3) Would you use it as a daily drive, in traffic??

No.

4) How capable should it be for your application - do you do overland trips, or would you also like to take this on an occasional 4x4 trail??

Just overland. But will do Khutse-Xade-Deception, Khaudom, Pomene in the rainy season etc so need something reliable.

5) Do you have a caravan/trailer/boat that you'd like to tow, or do you plan on getting one?

Nooit.

6) Do you like a Defender/76/Gelandewagen "concept", or more a Prado/Disco/Pajero/Cruiser 100 ??

Prefer basic, non-yuppie and minimal electronics, so Defender/76/Gelandewagen

So 76 with the 1HZ seems to be very sound advice. Something like this: http://bit.ly/1JwuCDA
    Last edited by Kalahari9999; 2016/01/25 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Typo

76 it is then, in my humble opinion.

The "standard" DC Cruiser is quite cramped at the back for 2 teenagers. The "chopped" ones were about 100mm longer (the Meano ones), so they were better in the leg room department.

The DC has more packing space at the back, definitely......but - my opinion again - rather have comfort at the back of a 76, with a roofrack. Hoeveel wil mens ook nou inpak op 'n bush trip??

Another (great!!) alternative is a LC GX Diesel, same 1HZ engine, high comfort levels, huge space inside. You will get a nice one for R 300 000 (max) - with around 120-150kkm on. VERY good overlander.

Or the EFI GX, fuel consumption is around 5-6 km/litre, plenty power. Same specs as the GX Diesel. Price for a mint one also around 250-300k.

If you're not gonna use this daily, that fuel consumption is obviously far less of an issue.

The GX Diesel gives around 6,5 - 7,5 km/litre.

As I'm typing, I actually think that a clean GX Cruiser will suit your needs better. FAR more spacious and comfortable.

Default Re: Advice re 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series 4.5

Petri has a very nice 105 Cruiser that is well within your budget. Got it into stock recently

Default Re: Advice re 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series 4.5

That one is a Code 3, uses oil, both the diffs and the tranny hums like hell, and the car is VERY unstable when stopping, due to a broken chassis.
    I wo'nt sell you that piece of crap.
    It's in such a poor nick that I'm too embarassed to put it in stock, I registered in my own name.
    I'm stuck with the damn thing........ma nou ja.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast