plastics in the ocean - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: plastics in the ocean

Picking up trash on our beaches is admirable and sorely needed, so to all those that practice it, I take my hat off to you.
    However, the trick is for every single person on this planet to ensure that our plastic waste does not leave our homes, businesses and factories with our normal garbage.
    Plastics must be separated and sent for re-cycling, it's the only way.

Now to try to find out where I can take my plastic waste for re-cycling in Nelspruit/White River.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Just been in dbn for the ski boat competition. Amount of crap at sea is terrible!
    I mean both fecal matter and plastic. The largest amount seems to come from the harbor, but it is present off every populated area, and seems to point to total failure of storm water/sewerage systems flowing into the sea.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Betta View Post
    Just finished watching the Netflix documentary A Plastic Ocean. Doesn’t get more depressing than that. Every living species dependent on the ocean is in absolute dire straits that ultimately affects us. I cannot see a way out of this, I can’t.
    Got 12 years left to make an impact, time to hussle!
    *** Removed ***

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Picking up trash on our beaches is admirable and sorely needed, so to all those that practice it, I take my hat off to you.
    However, the trick is for every single person on this planet to ensure that our plastic waste does not leave our homes, businesses and factories with our normal garbage.
    Plastics must be separated and sent for re-cycling, it's the only way.

Now to try to find out where I can take my plastic waste for re-cycling in Nelspruit/White River.
    Actually not, it is to refuse the products in plastic packaging altogether, recycling is a component of a sustainable world, but one of the last steps.
    *** Removed ***

Quote Originally Posted by moetbiedjiewegkom View Post
    Actually not, it is to refuse the products in plastic packaging altogether, recycling is a component of a sustainable world, but one of the last steps.
    Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    It may seem a bit futile but it makes me feel better:
    Whenever I am at the sea (not often in spite of living in Pinetown) I take (EISH! PLASTIC) garbage bags with me and do a pick up.
    I have picked up almost anything that can float or at least parts of it, and usually have to stop because the bags I have with me are full and I can't carry more due to bulk or weight.
    Now to find an alternative to the PLASTIC garbage bags ....

I do not know the answer to this problem, but if we each do a little maybe it will make a small dent.
    Not futile at all, apart from the waste that you remove you are setting an example as beaches are public places. My wife and kids do this in Mozambique, the locals come and inquire regularly, at the end of our stay one can see how locals have changed their behavior.
    *** Removed ***

10. The Following User Says Thank You to moetbiedjiewegkom For This Useful Post:

Sad fact is that the middle classes worldwide who have the most awareness of the problem, have almost zero effect on it, whether they recycle, reduce their consumption or whatever.

The vast majority of plastic in the oceans come from rural Africans and Asians using rivers as their personal garbage disposals, and that won't change anytime soon.

https://www.theoceancleanup.com/sources/
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BluePaj For This Useful Post:

This is Durban Harbor over the weekend...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SUSPENSION FOR THE FUTURE www.amadaxtreme.co.za
    Diamond Park nr2, 86 Jakaranda Str, Hennopspark, Centurion, GPS: 25°51'50.2 E28°09'58.2
    Cobus Böhmer CEL: 071 641 7947 Email: cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Just been in dbn for the ski boat competition. Amount of crap at sea is terrible!
    I mean both fecal matter and plastic. The largest amount seems to come from the harbor, but it is present off every populated area, and seems to point to total failure of storm water/sewerage systems flowing into the sea.
    We have the same problem here. No more Blue Flag beaches for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Plenty more being dumped into the ocean at the moment as the local floods are cleaning out the roads and drains.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Plenty more being dumped into the ocean at the moment as the local floods are cleaning out the roads and drains.
    And I'll bet municipalities are happy that their streets are now clean. These municipalities should be fined or something by world governing bodies.

Now that is shocking. I would have guessed India.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    Sad fact is that the middle classes worldwide who have the most awareness of the problem, have almost zero effect on it, whether they recycle, reduce their consumption or whatever.

The vast majority of plastic in the oceans come from rural Africans and Asians using rivers as their personal garbage disposals, and that won't change anytime soon.

https://www.theoceancleanup.com/sources/
    The average 'middle class' family puts out 10 times the waste of a 'rural family' I won't even begin to compare fossil fuel usage. White, black or Asian plays little part here. We all contribute to the pile of waste building up, some more than others. The more remote you are from shops the less waste, its a simple scenario and putting it down to certain groups is senseless. Each and every persons own footprint is all that matters. Let me create a different scenario, put the same amount of middle class families in the same space as the poor families, and give them the same levels services for waste removal. I reckon the amount of waste from such an area would would be enormous.
    Last edited by moetbiedjiewegkom; 2019/04/23 at 08:49 AM.
    *** Removed ***

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moetbiedjiewegkom For This Useful Post:

The average 'middle class' family puts out 10 times the waste of a 'rural family' I won't even begin to compare fossil fuel usage. White, black or Asian plays little part here. We all contribute to the pile of waste building up, some more than others. The more remote you are from shops the less waste, its a simple scenario and putting it down to certain groups is senseless. Each and every persons own footprint is all that matters. Let me create a different scenario, put the same amount of middle class families in the same space as the poor families, and give them the same levels services for waste removal. I reckon the amount of waste from such an area would would be enormous.
    The big difference is that the middle class family pays for waste removal, and it is disposed of properly, unlike the other waste which is being thrown all over the place. Not just at the unserviced shack which pays no rates.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Approximately 2% if ocean plastics come from the 1st world, the rest from Asia, Africa and South and Central America. Fact. It doesn't matter who generates the most it matters what they do with it.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    Now that is shocking. I would have guessed India.
    well its no far off demographically speaking

jokes aside, it fact that more than 95% of plastic waste in oceans is from China and other asian countries, and its mainly washed down from the rivers where there are many settlements.

the root cause is overpopulated planet prospering and as a result consuming without regard for waste.

so with all the efforts from the west to curb plastics is, useless unless China does something drastic.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Another one this morning in Dbn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DbnHarbour.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	499.6 KB 
ID:	526359

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    The big difference is that the middle class family pays for waste removal, and it is disposed of properly, unlike the other waste which is being thrown all over the place. Not just at the unserviced shack which pays no rates.
    Disposed of properly....elaborate please? You mean transporting it to a dump site 10 km's away from your house? Whether your rubbish gets dumped on a pile away from your leafy suburb or accumulates in your yard makes little difference to the environment, it will still be around for a few hundred years, unfortunately out of sight, out of mind is just not good enough anymore. Paying institutions to 'handle our waste' is what got us here, never been the answer, never will...
    *** Removed ***

Disposed of properly....elaborate please? You mean transporting it to a dump site 10 km's away from your house? Whether your rubbish gets dumped on a pile away from your leafy suburb or accumulates in your yard makes little difference to the environment, it will still be around for a few hundred years, unfortunately out of sight, out of mind is just not good enough anymore. Paying institutions to 'handle our waste' is what got us here, never been the answer, never will...
    Yes, if we want to start making a difference, we need to get rid of single-use plastics entirely.

It's certainly a lot better in an official managed waste dump, than in the ocean and countryside! At least for the time being, until someone comes up with a viable solution to recycle it. It's easier to recycle from here, than trying to recycle it from the ocean.

Paying institutions to 'handle our waste' is NOT what got us here. Littering is, in whatever format. At least paid institutions are trying to keep it in one place.

Agreed it's not ideal, but still the best solution at the moment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast