plastics in the ocean - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: plastics in the ocean

The biggest problem is not the townships as many would like to believe, most people living there re-use plastics all the time, some township folk make a living collecting and recycling plastics and other materials in their, and your suburb, a can out of a taxi window does not even come close to the amount of waste going out of more privileged homes, I am afraid on this one most of you will have four fingers pointing to yourselves and one in the opposite direction. Simple proof of this is everywhere on the net, where there is reasonable wealth and prosperity, waste generated per person escalates, so this is NOT a 'cultural' or 'educational' problem, it is a consumer issue, if you don't buy it in the first place, it will not be there to dispose of.

How does the plastic gets into the sea or veld. What happens between the mall and the residence? There are no windblown plastic in the 'privileged' areas. Or dumped dustbin bags in the river/storm water canals or the veld in the privileged areas. In the privileged area where I live their is a recycling bag full of plastic next to every dustbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    How does the plastic gets into the sea or veld. What happens between the mall and the residence? There are no windblown plastic in the 'privileged' areas. Or dumped dustbin bags in the river/storm water canals or the veld in the privileged areas. In the privileged area where I live their is a recycling bag full of plastic next to every dustbin.
    It gets there in many ways, irresponsible individuals, companies, people giving themselves out as 'rubble removers' and dumping it around every corner, company waste yards with improper management, municipalities not managing landfills properly, and even recycling companies who receive 'sorted' waste and then have to dump it on account of various reasons. Let my try and clear this up a bit more; it is more about the amount of waste generated per person than what you/I/they/it do with it. a Suburb such as your could have 10 Garbage trucks servicing 5000 people in 1000 homes, removing 300 tons of waste a month, while in Kayalitsha you could have 10 Garbage trucks servicing 50 000 people in 10 000 homes removing 300 tons of waste a month. If we buy and discard it SOMEONE has to take care of it, regardless whether it is getting picked up next to the road, or at the recycling plant. Unfortunately placing neat bundles of recyclable materials next to your 'other' garbage simply is not good enough anymore, it plays but a small part in our environmental responsibility.

Plastics attract floaty toxins in the ocean.

Toxins accumulate onto the plastic.

Shellfish and such filter water containing this plastic and toxins accumulate in meat.

Bigger things eat lots of smaller things that have collected a lot of toxins.

We eat the big things with a higher concentration of toxins.

Microbeads can find their way into the sea from your toothpaste or exfoliating scrubs.

Your children will inherit an uninhabitable earth.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    the Fifth Great Extinction... we have the privilege of living in it..

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    Plastics attract floaty toxins in the ocean.

Toxins accumulate onto the plastic.

Shellfish and such filter water containing this plastic and toxins accumulate in meat.

Bigger things eat lots of smaller things that have collected a lot of toxins.

We eat the big things with a higher concentration of toxins.

Microbeads can find their way into the sea from your toothpaste or exfoliating scrubs.

Interesting...

as far as the plastics themselves go-at what point (is there a point?) do their constituent molecules become 'benign'-?-as they do eventually break down into smaller pieces until they are almost at molecular level...since they are hydrocarbons, one might presume that they could break down to a point at which they might become benign-even to the point of becoming a source of nutrition for micro-organisms, and as such be absorbed into the environment without further ill-effects.??
    As I understand, plastics are not actually toxic in respect of their chemical composition-are effectively chemically inert, rather they harmful as solid objects..?

I don't know.....

PS Owen-no kids for you..been snipped??
    Last edited by Patrick L; 2016/08/03 at 07:37 PM.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

There is a old dump site in Simon's Town, about 40 years ago is was closed. They drill test holes to see what is going on inside. The plastic bags are still intact. The same at Witsand close to Kommetjie. Every few years in strong wind the tipped material is exposed and it is the plastic bags that are intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    There is a old dump site in Simon's Town, about 40 years ago is was closed. They drill test holes to see what is going on inside. The plastic bags are still intact. The same at Witsand close to Kommetjie. Every few years in strong wind the tipped material is exposed and it is the plastic bags that are intact.
    UV breaks down plastic. If you want Plastic to bio degrade don't bury it.

If you bury it it will stay. This is a strength that should be used as it is one of the reasons it is so good for recycling.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

Plastic is not the only problem...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrpkZkwTvu0
    Last edited by Roberto Betta; 2018/09/06 at 05:58 PM.

Bring back the Shackletons to keep an eye on the seas
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6

So instead of my usual metal detecting hunt in search for that illusive pirate chest I opted to collect plastic on a hundred or so meter stretch of beach at Glen Eden on the East Coast. How long did I take? Under an hour. Did I try? Hardly. Has the ocean been captured? Definitely! Will the ocean recover? I somehow doubt it. Frightening exercise to say the least.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roberto Betta For This Useful Post:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	725.7 KB 
ID:	525047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	621.4 KB 
ID:	525048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	743.8 KB 
ID:	525049  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	766.8 KB 
ID:	525053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	858.2 KB 
ID:	525054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	746.8 KB 
ID:	525055  

Double thumbs up to you. We will be doing something when we are down with the boat in two weeks.

Main issue seems to be complete lack of will to put anything into bin , but just chuck it out the window or onto the floor.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

The irony, the plastic that destroys our oceans is what is used to package the products from the oceans......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

Our family got involved with the Zero Waste movement a year or two back, pretty interesting to see how individuals and families can cut down their waste to virtually nothing. https://zerowastehome.com/2017/11/21...-south-africa/
    *** Removed ***

19. The Following User Says Thank You to moetbiedjiewegkom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Double thumbs up to you. We will be doing something when we are down with the boat in two weeks.

Main issue seems to be complete lack of will to put anything into bin , but just chuck it out the window or onto the floor.
    An interesting stat. The plastic I collected in a 100 meters weighs 0,76 kg's. Multiply that by 10 equals 7,6 kg's per kilometer and multiply that by the 620,000 kilometers of coastline the world has equals 4,721,000 kg's of plastic along our coastline alone. And we know there's a lot more than that.

Just finished watching the Netflix documentary A Plastic Ocean. Doesnít get more depressing than that. Every living species dependent on the ocean is in absolute dire straits that ultimately affects us. I cannot see a way out of this, I canít.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Roberto Betta For This Useful Post:

It may seem a bit futile but it makes me feel better:
    Whenever I am at the sea (not often in spite of living in Pinetown) I take (EISH! PLASTIC) garbage bags with me and do a pick up.
    I have picked up almost anything that can float or at least parts of it, and usually have to stop because the bags I have with me are full and I can't carry more due to bulk or weight.
    Now to find an alternative to the PLASTIC garbage bags ....

I do not know the answer to this problem, but if we each do a little maybe it will make a small dent.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    It may seem a bit futile but it makes me feel better:
    Whenever I am at the sea (not often in spite of living in Pinetown) I take (EISH! PLASTIC) garbage bags with me and do a pick up.
    I have picked up almost anything that can float or at least parts of it, and usually have to stop because the bags I have with me are full and I can't carry more due to bulk or weight.
    Now to find an alternative to the PLASTIC garbage bags ....

I do not know the answer to this problem, but if we each do a little maybe it will make a small dent.
    Every little helps. I was impressed when camping at Rocky bay that most residents took a rubbish bag with when going for their walks along the beach to pick up all rubbish. It was contagious and you saw most holiday makers also pick stuff up which did not belong there. It's one of the cleanest beaches I've seen so far.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast