Cool Buying a 2nd hand Amarok

Hi guys and gals.

I am hoping to be finding myself in an Amarok soon but was wondering how safe it is to look at a 2nd hand 4motion Auto?

Can't afford a brand new one now. Spend a lot of time on the road and in traffic.

What are the km's you lucky Amarok owners have put on your babies. Reliability and the availability of spares country wide is a big point for me as I don't want to get stuck with having to fly parts in from the USA India or wherever else.

You input would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know the cost of ownership on the services out of then plan that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Michael
    Last edited by Wild Mike; 2016/01/13 at 06:20 PM.

72000 km on my auto.
    Only issue of any significance was the replacement of the exhaust gas recirc radiator.
    Spares surely readily available from any Vw dealer

I bought my Amarok as soon as the auto became available in South Africa and now, almost 3 years later, I would not even consider another bakkie. But as far as spares are concerned - I've created the impression that the VW/Audi group keep very little spares in South Africa. Apart from items like oil filters, fan belts and brake pads, whenever parts are required, there is a 7 to 14 day waiting time. This has been my experience for the past few years and is not only true of the Amarok, but with Audi as well. I even had to wait 3 weeks for a windscreen for my Audi when it had to be replaced 5 months ago.
    2019 Amarok 3.0 Extreme Auto with Roll-n-Lock tonneau cover.
    Gone: 2013 Amarok 2.0 Auto
    2018 Audi SQ5
    Gone: 2015 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by 949BFN View Post
    I bought my Amarok as soon as the auto became available in South Africa and now, almost 3 years later, I would not even consider another bakkie. But as far as spares are concerned - I've created the impression that the VW/Audi group keep very little spares in South Africa. Apart from items like oil filters, fan belts and brake pads, whenever parts are required, there is a 7 to 14 day waiting time. This has been my experience for the past few years and is not only true of the Amarok, but with Audi as well. I even had to wait 3 weeks for a windscreen for my Audi when it had to be replaced 5 months ago.
    That is strange.

I have never needed to wait longer than a day or 2 for any VW spares.

Even when I bought accesories for my Amarok (load mat and fuel tank protector), the parts were there the next day.

To answer the OP's question. You can buy a used auto with confidence. They have no real problems as to speak of, and is a very nice every day car. So much so, that I want nothing else to replace it with.

The only I would do with a used Amarok, is to have the transmission oil drained after 80k km, if you buy one with more mileage than that.

There is a forum member on here, that works at ZF, and they do a complete gearbox service with new fluid for a few thousand rand. I plan to do mine at 60k km, as I plan on keeping it for well over 100k km.

+1 never waited more than 2 days for spares etc.

Good service and for traffic the auto a gem, try get one with the 17 inch rims.

Ride softer and greater and cheaper tyre choices.

Services not more than my previous Hiluxes and Rangers.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

Quote Originally Posted by The TRANSPORTER View Post
    +1 never waited more than 2 days for spares etc.

Good service and for traffic the auto a gem, try get one with the 17 inch rims.

Ride softer and greater and cheaper tyre choices.

Services not more than my previous Hiluxes and Rangers.
    Yes, and then fit 265/65/17 tyres.

I just did that, and in my mind, they should just come from the factory like that.

Thanks guys that really helps to know that there are so many happy owners out there. Now just to find the right deal for me. Thanks again. WM

Mileage dependent, the only thing to pay attention to is the Cambelt and Vbelt. I would change by 90000km at most, do not wait for 105 or 120K service.
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    1987 Citi Sport 1.6
    2005 Kawasaki 200KDX
    2016 KTM 300EXC

Sorry fellers, I know I said it before: WM, my brother bought a fertilizer rep's 90kw DC Amarok with 340000km on it. Says it still feels tight and new. Paid (I think 150k for it. Only thing ever replaced was the clutch @ 250000km. Rep said that he drove Isuzus before and they showed their age and felt worn out much quicker.
    147kw Hyundai Santa Fe
    183kw s6 Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Sorry fellers, I know I said it before: WM, my brother bought a fertilizer rep's 90kw DC Amarok with 340000km on it. Says it still feels tight and new. Paid (I think 150k for it. Only thing ever replaced was the clutch @ 250000km. Rep said that he drove Isuzus before and they showed their age and felt worn out much quicker.
    Must've drove petrol Isuzu no Isuzu in our market diesel has a cambelt chain and gears yes but no cambelt on diesel
    ISUZU KB300LX DMAX mine / 1.4tdci with software exhaust and intercooler and watermeth injection /dad-kb300 dteq kb5 4x4 /uncle kb300 4x2 dteq kb5 /step dad. Kb6 kb300 4x4 auto all double cabs

Well I managed to find a reasonable priced 4motion automatic 2013 model with 53000km on the clock. Awaiting my finance app to be approved. Might be in it by the end of the month if all goes well. Hehe. Can't wait. Thanks for everyone's input and reassuring messages.