Coming from the outside, considering Hilux

Question Coming from the outside, considering Hilux

Hi Guys
    Thanks for accepting my thread in your forum. I come from the outside, new to Toyota, new to Hilux, somewhat new to bakkies (I briefly owned a ‘lemon’ hardbody).

I don’t know if I can ask these things, if there is an authoritative thread that already exists or if these questions are racist!

My current vehicle is small, slow, noisy, inconvenient and brash. Every since I had it, the only things that went through my mind is “I want something I can keep forever, rely on, take into the Cederberg, take to the west coast, take me to work, and take me home. It must not be popular with thieves, be a rust-magnet, it must not break, it must not have electric windows, it must not have side mirrors that cost the same as a holiday in vegas”. It must not be ugly as f00k.

Everytime I gave this proper thought, Hiliux came to mind (not the 2016, it’s terrible looking).

Now, I am asking this in a forum that may be biased, but who cares, you guys won’t lie, so bias is fine.

Would a double cab Hilux give me these features, mentioned above? Hey it does not even have to be a 4x4 if that will make it more reliable, however ground clearance is A plus

If yes, then what do I need to look at?
    Diesel or Petrol (this is not flame bait , a pure ‘what is what’ question).
    Engine size (all round winner, not aimed at economy or power specifically).
    Year model (parts availability, cost, reliability)
    Kilometers?

My only concern would be to also cut my instalments down (they are currently about 5k, and a lot consider what I am driving and how much struggle I am experiencing)

I will appreciate some guidance here, a lot.

Yours truly.
    Anonymous (please don’t tell the guys from my home section I posted here)

2014 Jimny JB43
    Stofpad undies
    40mm Amada Xtreme Suspension
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA

Quote Originally Posted by kobus Visagie View Post
    Nee man hoekom wil jy nou dit doen, kry `n Amarok. Hulle is beter in elke liewe opsig as `n Hilux.
    including the owners. Except for Kobus.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Petrol Hilux.

You cant go wrong in terms of Reliabilty, parts availability and I dont think the V6 is on the shopping list for thieves as much as the diesel.

Plain and simple. You can't go wrong with a Hilux V6
    Last edited by Mike Nel GX; 2016/01/12 at 01:55 PM.

I went from a Touareg R5, 2.5TDI, to a 3.0D4D, Diesel, DC Hilux 4x2 a couple of months ago. The reason for my move was because a DC bakkie makes alot more sense at this point of time than a SUV and I don't use it for any 4x4 activities so 4x4 was not a must. Let me give you some positives and negatives about the Hilux.

Negatives:
    The ride comfort is not the same as the Touareg BUT then again I don't think any DC will have the same ride comfort than a Touareg with air suspension.
    The interior is of a lesser quality BUT this is bakkie and not a luxury SUV.
    This is a popular vehicle to be stolen. Install the needed security add ons and you will have a lesser risk of falling victim to this.

Positives:
    The peace of mind w.r.t. the reliability of the Toyota/Hilux brand. Yes alot of people say other wise but to date this has proven itself over and over again.
    The bakkie came with an extended warranty, to 2019 or 220 000km, and service plan, to 2018 or 180 000km, giving even more peace of mind.
    The extra comfort/usability of a loadbin over the limitations of a SUV

All in all I'm very happy with my decision BUT this is a personal opinion only. Alot of other guys will give you alot of reasons why their bakkies are better but at the end of the day that is still just a personal opinion.

To give you an honest answer you will not go wrong with a Hilux. But then again a Ranger or Amarok or Isuzu is also great options. Do yourself a favour and go and test drive the different options and read alot on each section for possible problems to watch for and then decide from there. For me a DC/bakkie just makes sense and it sounds like it will do the same for you. Good luck with the decision and keep us posted on what you decide to get.
    2015 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI R Line
    Ex - 2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D
    Ex - 2005 VW Touareg R5

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    including the owners. Except for Kobus.
    Die trol raak afgesaag...
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by Geelwortel View Post
    To give you an honest answer you will not go wrong with a Hilux. But then again a Ranger or Amarok or Isuzu is also great options.

Do yourself a favour and go and test drive the different options and read alot on each section for possible problems to watch for and then decide from there.

One option mentioned I am not convinced about the cost of longterm ownership yet, wrt cost of parts and services. The other one mentioned I will not even look at for a short term choice, but that is just me. A quick search under problems under the sections should tell you a lot. The other two, is very safe long term bets.

Also go test drive old ones, to see how they and their materials ages!
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Thanks for the responses so far.
    I agree, I am not playing fair and not really looking at the VW and Rangers, but since I am planning to cut costs while "upgrading" in every sense, Amarok is not even an option. Ranger and Hilux perhaps, with HL being the "Want".

I will keep monitoring the thread, but I appreciate the inputs so far.

I realise it seems like I am asking for spoonfeeding (and in a way, there are guys here who seem to be able to give out a recipe for success), but Iam looking to not risk misinformation or assumption by re-researching.
    Last edited by marlonrc; 2016/01/12 at 02:54 PM.

2014 Jimny JB43
    Stofpad undies
    40mm Amada Xtreme Suspension
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA

Go check out the KB's as well!
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    True, it answers all your questions, and is lower on the thieves's shopping list vs the Hilux. Not as popular as the Hilux though but ride is a bit more comfy.

Honestly, and this is coming from a die hard Isuzu fan, I'd consider the Amarok after reading countless and countless reports and feedback and comparisons and having driven them all myself.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    Coming from a Hilux owner, if you are going to use it as a daily drive, I think this is a great piece of advice.

The lux is great when it is properly loaded, but empty, during the work commute, I think the Isuzu is more comfortable.
    Paul.

I have been driving Rangers for the past 6 years now and haven't had any trouble with my Rangers thus far. Currently in the process of buying my third Ranger as we speak.

1. With regards to fuel i would opt for the Diesel version as Diesel is easier to obtain in Africa should you ever wish to tour to one of our neighboring countries.
    2. The Hiluxes are very prone to theft. Your risk profile might therefore be higher. You would also have to go for the flagship versions of any tracker you install to make your insurance company happy where with another vehicle you might get away a little cheaper.
    3. Price wise you might get away cheaper when opting for one of the other Big 6 bakkies.
    4. Ford currently has some CRAZY specials on the new-old Ranger. My one colleague got his new Ranger Saturday for almost a 100k cheaper than the retail price.

Good luck
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT D/C 4x2 Mt
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS D/C 4x2 Mt (Sold)
    2006 Ford Ranger 2.5 XLT D/C 4x2 Mt (Sold)

"Yes" is the answer.
    Beer was the question.

If you have your mind made up on a Hilux, I will only go with the V6.

Yes, it's heavy on fuel, but is more reliable than the diesel, and maintenance is cheap.

And if you can get the auto, even better. It really matches the engine well, you never feel frustrated because it is in the wrong gear.

Any of the modern double cabs will comply with your requirements. Drive them all and buy the one you like. You will find a way to rationalise your choice in terms of things like consumption or perceived reliability anyway.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all