Diesel Commander filled with petrol!!

Default Diesel Commander filled with petrol!!

So, I was driving from Dullstroom to Randburg and stopped for a fill up on the way. I asked the attendant 3 times if he was sure he filled her with diesel and he confirmed. I asked for low sulpher and well....got unleaded! 56 liters of it.
    About 70 km further I start feeling a shudder on the engine but have no idea why. I immediately thought that the guys who did the service the week before made a stuff up and drove straight there on my return to JHB. The owner immediately asked if I was sure it was in deed filled with diesel so we checked the slip and got the surprise. I drove almost 200km's with petrol.

I took her to Jeep and they just let me know that I can collect my car but I am a bit sceptical...are they not suppose to check big ends and small ends etc etc?? Some people I spoke to said that the engine should be screwed...so not quite expecting a R7000 bill and one day in the workshop. Should I get a second opinion before settling this with the garage who made the mistake (who agreed to pay for all damages by the way). Just not sure if they should have looked a bit deeper??
    This car was in more than perfect condition and I am so scared that there was more damage than Jeep checked for...please help

I do feel for you but ultimately it's your own responsibility to ensure the correct fuel gets added to your vehicle...

My brother who also drives a diesel had the same happen to him in Lydenburg. His wife asked for diesel and they threw petrol. He drove to work , 30 od km and his engine konked in. Eventually had to replace diesel pump and all the injectors which came to about R40k.

Garage did not want to know anything. Owner just reckoned that she should have climbed out to make sure that they indeed put diesel in.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange.2003 WJ Jeep..NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor Forum Rebuild thread

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....4 inch Home build Long arm lift
    Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)
    Man made it....Man Fix it.....
    I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

I do agree with you Johan, that is why 1. you ask for the correct Fuel, and 2. there is a large pink and white sticker in the cap saying "Diesel Fuel Only". That aside. I am trying to get some opinions as to whether I should get another opinion or if I should take Jeeps word for it that there is no other damage?

Hey Sakkie, that sucks...my father in law use to work for one of the bigger petrol companies and use to run some of their sites, he says they paid out thousand due to the wrong fuel applied. I assume it depends on circumstances but in this case the garage took full responsibility which is great of them.

I'm surprised they agreed to foot the bill to be honest. I always watch like a hawk when the nozzle goes in to be sure.

... Yes and then in this silly busy time of the year ...
    you may also get water ...
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    75 Series3 88 PUP.//17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

The most damage would be to the fuel system. Injectors, injector pump/ lp/ hp pumps. It should not affect the internals of the engine itself.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow