Camping at Chelinda, Nyika Plateau

Default Camping at Chelinda, Nyika Plateau

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this great community, so it's possible this question has been answered many times before.

I'm heading up to Malawi in a week's time and am trying to find out about camping in Nyika Plateau National Park. Potentially any time in the next month or so.

I have looked up camping in Nyika a few times and keep coming up with Central African Wilderness Safaris and see no mention of camping. Only chalets, etc.

Even if I don't get a spot this time, it would be great to know if there is still camping up there and if so, rough cost and who to get in touch with for bookings.

Cheers & thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, there is a camp site at Chelinda with rudimentary ablutions, but perfectly adequate. If it gets too cold (and it gets bloody cold up there) you can also book into one of the cottages/chalets/houses (there is a variety of accommodation). If you want more info, send a PM to Itchyfeet (Lisa) who worked up there for a couple of years. There are theoretically also some wild outlying campsites and cottages, but it depends on the present state of management as to whether or not they are in operation.
    The Nyika is one of Africa's most special places, so please go there, it needs support.
    Vwaza Marsh, at the base of the Nyika and close to the entrance, is also a special place, with magnificent birding and a small elephant population. RE the Nyika, it is well worth reading Laurens van der Post's "Venture to the Interior" before heading up there. Lovely stuff, even if the old man was a bit of a bull duster.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/12/22 at 11:26 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hi Dave, there is a camp site at Chelinda with rudimentary ablutions, but perfectly adequate. If it gets too cold (and it gets bloody cold up there) you can also book into one of the cottages/chalets/houses (there is a variety of accommodation). If you want more info, send a PM to Itchyfeet (Lisa) who worked up there for a couple of years. There are theoretically also some wild outlying campsites and cottages, but it depends on the present state of management as to whether or not they are in operation.
    The Nyika is one of Africa's most special places, so please go there, it needs support.
    Vwaza Marsh, at the base of the Nyika and close to the entrance, is also a special place, with magnificent birding and a small elephant population. RE the Nyika, it is well worth reading Laurens van der Post's "Venture to the Interior" before heading up there. Lovely stuff, even if the old man was a bit of a bull duster.
    +1 (for both Chelinda and Laurens Van Der Post)..

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    +1 (for both Chelinda and Laurens Van Der Post)..

Cheers..
    Thanks Eric, and Dave, I doubt you need to make any bookings. Be aware that it is theoretically rainy season (theoretically, because El Nino has thrown everything out of kilter) so you could have some interesting driving, but the roads in the Nyika are generally rocky rather than muddy, so you should be fine. Some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever taken have been looking west off the Nyika towards the Luangwa Valley with thunder clouds building. Check it out!

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Chelinda is beautiful.

The ablutions are ok, boiling hot water.
    At the nights it can be cold, its 2000 m high.

The light is out of this earth. That together with Zebra, Roan etc.

Some pics

And don't miss Livingstonia.

Tip for camping is the Lukwe Eco Camp
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2015/12/23 at 01:44 AM.

What Tony said.

If you're into bird watching, there are plenty specials on Nyika Plateau. I'm not sure if it's still operational, but they had a cottage in the Juniper Forest which is well worth staying at if you want to explore the forest (Bartailed Trogon, Oliveflanked Robin, etc). We camped there and used the cottage's ablutions.

Hey thanks everyone,

That's awesome, Ja super-keen for the scenery & birding. Ok so I'll try Itchyfeet, we'll probably just take a chance and see what happens regarding accommodation.

Thanks a heap

Appreciate the swift feed-back.

Cheers
    Dave

As far as I know the campsite is still operational (it certainly was a few months ago). You'll have it to yourselves at this time of year. It doesn't surprise me it doesn't appear on CAWS website, it isn't really what they're selling. If you want to be sure send them an email or give them a call (although frankly if you just turn up they won't stop you camping there). Cost of camping is probably still $10pppn. The chalet accommodation is pretty expensive and the lodge prices even more so.

The state of the road up is very changeable. There have been times when it's been impassable in the rains and even our 4WD tractor had problems sometimes but these are very much the exception. You should be fine. However allow plenty of time, it can take 6 hours from MZuzu in the wet. They will not let you through the gate at Thazima if they don't think you have enough daylight to get to Chelinda and it's 60km (1.5-2 hours) from there so I'd plan on being at Thazima gate at least 3 hours before sunset.

Make sure you have enough fuel for the trip. I would fill up in MZuzu and then top up again in Rumpi if fuel is available. Fuel is really precious up there (it all has to be hauled up in drums on the back of a pick up) so guests running out may not find any for sale at any price.

I have heard reports of campers being told they're not allowed to self drive. It may be better not to ask the question... Be aware though that there are only ever a handful of people up there and if you get stuck then no one is likely to be passing anytime soon. I'd think about leaving a note back at your tent saying where you've gone and when you left if you plan on exploring much beyond the plantation.

If I can be of any more help feel free to drop me a line. It is a truly wonderful place, quite unique and well worth the effort of getting there.

Hi Lisa, nice to hear from you. Or is it Jerry?

Do you know who manages Nyika now?

Hi Beetee,

Good to hear from you too! Hope you and Fred are both well.

The tourism concession is still with CAWS and they have a South African couple managing the lodge and chalets now who've been there 6 months or so. I can't recall their name now but I believe he used to guide up in KZN.

(Dave if you take a few South African delicacies with you for the managers you'll probably get treated like royalty!! I know from experience the shopping in Mzuzu is VERY limited).

Best wishes to you both for Christmas and the New Year.

Lisa and Jerry

Yeah we are fine, planning some trips in the future. At this stage Mana Pools combined with Liuwa Plains.

(Dave you must know that Jerry and Lisa managed the Nyika Park for a year, so they know the area quite well. We met them a few times while they travelled Afrika and we also travelled Southern and Western Afrika)

Hi Lisa, hi Beetee,

Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it all. Can't wait to check out Nyika!!
    Sorry, haven't had signal for 2 days, just got now in Livingstone, Zambia. Hopefully will get to Nyika in the next 6 days or so and will definitely top-up fuel before heading up to the Plateau.

Cheers & Happy New Year soon, & a belated Christmas!!

Will let you know how it went when we're back in SA.

Dave

Default Re: Camping at Chelinda, Nyika Plateau

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful info regarding Nyika. We've just returned from our holiday to Zambia & Malawi via Botswana. I'll have to type up a full report and post it on the Malawi & Zambia sections.

Just a few quick notes, firstly, both countries were fantastic & Nyika was one of the highlights (my personal highlight of the trip). We got some great birding and game viewing in and the landscapes and forests were incredible!!

The new manager at Chelinda camp is Paul, from St Lucia in KZN, RSA. Unfortunately I didn't get his surname or his wife's name. Very helpful guy and seemed to be settling in nicely (I think they've been then for 6 months). The day we arrived, there were already 3 camping couples at the Chelinda campsite, but Paul said we were welcome to grab a spot in the camping area and then more to a shettled campsite once one of the couples had moved on, we did this and it worked out great. The camp attendant took great care of us, cleaning up and making us a fire, and keeping it going when needed. The second night, it was just ourselves and another couple, and the last night another couple arrived. So it was fairly well occupied, despite the time of year.

I'll post more info once I've been able to collate everything. Thanks to everyone for all the great help.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson RRR View Post
    The new manager at Chelinda camp is Paul, from St Lucia in KZN, RSA. Unfortunately I didn't get his surname or his wife's name. Very helpful guy and seemed to be settling in nicely (I think they've been then for 6 months).
    Thanks for the pointer, Dave. Looks like his name is Paul Kilham (http://cawsmw.com/index.php/caws-wel...amp-and-lodge/). I look forward to meeting him when we head up there in a couple of weeks.

Rudi

Hi guys

Will July generally be too cold for camping at Chelinda?

Keep in mind it is my honeymoon so I will be snuggling....

I am booked for August and camping, but in case the cold will go into the bones, you can always upgrade to the bush camp which means chalets.
    Confirmed that with the managers.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by WernsKriel View Post

Will July generally be too cold for camping at Chelinda?
    It will be bloody cold. Take along plenty of fleece blankets.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

As Tony says it will be cold. You often get a ground frost. But it will be spectacular. In the colder months the game congregates around the plantation (where the camp is) so lots to see. You can see big herds of eland, roan and zebra on a walk from the campsite. Spectacular time to be there.

Just returned from Chelinda, pleasant weather and good temperatures during the day, but as night falls the wind is picking up and blows the mist into the mountains so bu morning everything is dripping wet.
    Sun appears around 10:00AM to dry out any wet tents or clothes, so sleep in and get out of the sack by that time.

Had low temps of 5-7 degC at 8:00 PM from about 20 degC during afternoon.
    Plenty of pine wood is supplied by the camp so no need to freeze, just pack the warm jacket and a beanie .
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2016/09/04 at 08:18 PM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads