Mbeya Arusha

Thread: Mbeya Arusha

Default Mbeya Arusha

Hi guys. Anyone done this route recently? Is it possible to do it in a day? I need to get from Joburg to Nairobi in 5 days. I know it's going to be long drives but don't have much choice.

Also is the border between Zambia and Tanzania open 24 hours?
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Supercab 4x4

PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman suspension 70mm lift
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Custom built hunting rack/canopy
    Escape Gear seat covers
    Black Rhino Imperial Rims
    Maxxis Bighorn 764 265/70R17
    Stofpad Bashplate & gearbox plate
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    Gerbers 83L Long Range Tank
    More soon

5 Days

Consider air freighting your truck up,around the R25k mark,then theres your flight cost.
    MUCH cheaper than driving,quicker(2days)and less hassle.
    You will need a carnet though-R13k from AA SS.
    A legend in his own mind

Default Mbeya to Arusha

No, not possible in one day. The main road goes Mbeya-Iringa-Mikumi-Morogoro-Segera-Korogwe-Moshi-Arusha and I haven't measured it, but it is a long way. Also bear in mind that every small village has a 50kph speed limit, there are lots of police with radar speed traps, and the other road users - the result being a low average speed. Probably possible to do Mbeya to Morogoro in one long day's drive, and then Morogoro to Arusha.

Don't know about the Tunduma border crossing, but from all accounts it is chaotic and busy.

Default Re: Mbeya to Arusha

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    No, not possible in one day. The main road goes Mbeya-Iringa-Mikumi-Morogoro-Segera-Korogwe-Moshi-Arusha and I haven't measured it, but it is a long way. Also bear in mind that every small village has a 50kph speed limit, there are lots of police with radar speed traps, and the other road users - the result being a low average speed. Probably possible to do Mbeya to Morogoro in one long day's drive, and then Morogoro to Arusha.

Don't know about the Tunduma border crossing, but from all accounts it is chaotic and busy.
    No need to go through Morogoro, head to Iringa town on the hill then go via Dodoma to Arusha. Road is now tar and good but you're still going to need time you don't have.

Default Re: Mbeya Arusha

Tks, I am sitting in the reception Kisolonza farm, ready to continue my journey to Dodoma, and on to Tangarier park. So happy to hear about the road. By the way how does one find a place that can refill our Sabs lpg cylinders. In the end I bout a local gas cylinder.
    2011 I30 Huyundai platcar
    2017 Ford Ranger D/Cab 2.2 TdCi XLS 4x4 Auto

I am told that the section Dodoma to Babati is not finished and the recommended route is Dodoma-Singida-Babati to avoid the fearsome roadworks on the direct north bound section between Dodoma and Babati.

Safari njema!

Quote Originally Posted by regmark View Post
    Tks, I am sitting in the reception Kisolonza farm, ready to continue my journey to Dodoma, and on to Tangarier park. So happy to hear about the road. By the way how does one find a place that can refill our Sabs lpg cylinders. In the end I bout a local gas cylinder.

Manje's gas in Arusha were the only ones we could find in Tanzania. They are able and happy to fill the SA Cadac type cylinders. However they take them away overnight to their depot and you can pick them up the next day.
    However your problem should be solved if you bought a local cylinder. I am sure you know that many fuel stations will swop an empty for a full one, at a fee of course. Some only swop their specific brand others will swop any brand.
    If you are going that far there is also an outlet in Nairobi that fills SA cylinders, we arranged it through Jungle Junction. Wazungu Wawili has the name if you would like to send a PM.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2016/05/04 at 06:33 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Tks Stan. Sitting at Kubu lodge ready for the banks to opeopen to get our passes. Tomorrow down crater then on the way back we go straight to Naabi gate and on to Seronero

Enjoy regmark.From this website it seems that you will be well located at Seronera to see the herds.
    http://www.discoverafrica.com/herdtracker/
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by regmark View Post
    Tks Stan. Sitting at Kubu lodge ready for the banks to opeopen to get our passes. Tomorrow down crater then on the way back we go straight to Naabi gate and on to Seronero
    Can you let the forum know whether you went Iringa-Dodoma-Singida-Babati-Tarangire or the direct north bound Dodoma-Babati. And what were the timings? Did you do it in one day or two days?

Asante sana!

We took the round trip as the garage owner said the straigt route to Babati is bad for about 100 kms. Also note the MAF accomadation at Dodoma is no longer viable sleep over in Dodoma. We left Dodoma on way to Singidi and made camp at a village. Excellent reception by head of village. Took a while to explain our desires. Then had a most wonderfull time trying to communicate both ways. Watched them bring in their small stock amoungst the guinifowls great. Gave them 30000 shillings for their space. Interesting loo facility though. Worked for us.
    Last edited by regmark; 2016/05/08 at 05:14 AM.