Thread: Boat COF

Default Boat COF

I am seriously considering trading my skiing boat for a rubber duck that I can use offshore. Nothing serious as I will probably go <1nm. I am seriously considering a deal for a pretty nice second hand rubber duck with a dealer in Dbn, however i have some reservations

Does anyone have any ideas how much the following would cost?

Beaching Kit for 140HP Yamaha outboard?
    Some sort of Canopy that can be fitted to a rubber duck?
    Two fishing road holders that can be attached to the ski bar at the back of the boat?
    Boat and Motor Covers for 5.5m RIB and 140 motor.
    Sea Safety kit for <5Nm

Looking at the samsa regs it seems one needs radios, and I read somewhere that the radio regs are changing?

It seems like getting the above would add substantially to the cost of the deal and will probably make it unattractive but i am just looking for a rough idea of what this would cost before I make a judgement.

Any rough ideas welcome.

Cheers
    Stephen

I would suggest getting a quote from a the boat dealer in question, buying the boat from him may give you some leverage to negotiate a good deal.

The radio regulations are changing and soon 29Mhz radios will not be in use anymore, all changing to VHF now.

Have you considered buying a boat with all the features already installed / attached?
    Single motor offshore makes me nervous, why not go for a Category C boat with twin engines? So much more flexible.
    You should be able to get a 5m RIB with twin 40's or bigger for well under 100k

http://www.justboats.co.za/index.php...tingray/-/2243

Just an example and will probably be lighter on fuel than the 140

If you are going less than 1nm you can go for cat E. No radio required. Up to 5nm is cat D, then you need a radio and a few extra flares.

Cannot comment on the beach kit.
    The normal collapsible canopy should be quite cheap, the T-top is probably better functionally but will be more expensive.
    Fishing rod holders are quite cheap, depending on the type you want. On my duck, i have the normal one that looks like a pvc pipe with some clamps screwed into the transom. Works well.
    Safety kit for cat E is not much, the complete list is in the samsa regulations, or you can download it from one of the boatclubs's website, like here.

Like Pietsweis said, 2 outboards give a lot more peace of mind at sea, and 2 40's should be more than enough for a 5,5m RIB.

All the best.
    2004 Pajero LWB 3.8 - My toy
    1998 Pajero SWB 3.0 - SWAMBO's toy

FJ45 with fibreglass body and 3CT motor - being built

More safety equipment the better…..
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I am seriously considering trading my skiing boat for a rubber duck that I can use offshore. Nothing serious as I will probably go <1nm. I am seriously considering a deal for a pretty nice second hand rubber duck with a dealer in Dbn, however i have some reservations

Does anyone have any ideas how much the following would cost?

Beaching Kit for 140HP Yamaha outboard? Get the dealer to do it - mine was R900 per motor
    Some sort of Canopy that can be fitted to a rubber duck? Bimini is about R2000
    Two fishing road holders that can be attached to the ski bar at the back of the boat? Stainless ones about R500 each
    Boat and Motor Covers for 5.5m RIB and 140 motor. Fast Sails in Durban - about R3000
    Sea Safety kit for <5Nm Flares/anchor/rope/fire ext./capsize bottle - about R2000 - VHF radio R2500 - licence R600 operators certificate R750

Looking at the samsa regs it seems one needs radios, and I read somewhere that the radio regs are changing?

It seems like getting the above would add substantially to the cost of the deal and will probably make it unattractive but i am just looking for a rough idea of what this would cost before I make a judgement.

Any rough ideas welcome.

Cheers
    Stephen
    Last edited by dirtshark; 2015/12/11 at 03:34 PM.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Thanks guys thats a real help. The biggest issue is that I am trying to shift my boat and it is a lot easier to do it though a dealer trade, rather than a private sale. Hence the appeal of this option. I also like the idea of 2x outboards, but since we are vaalies now, we will probably do a bit of skiing as well, and the 140 will definitely get me up quicker.

I would regard myself a a fair weather sailor so going far out to see holds limited appeal. I think just far enough to get out and do a little snorkelling, spearfishing and fishing will be fine.

We used to ski off umhlanga as kids. I am not sure if it is legal, but it was quite a blast and i would imagine that a tube or wake snake would be even more fun. Anyway, I need to think this one through pretty carefully to make sure I don't make a duff decision and appreciate the input.

Cheers
    Stephen

If needed at some stage I have a fast sails cover for a Gemini 5.5 m rib to sell. Linex Yamaha have a canopy for R1200.
    Bruce Hunter. 2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

I just want to say preferably not a rubber duck cat.

5.5 is a very nice mono. 5.5 Cat is extremely uncomfortable in a lumpy sea.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way! (Zech 4:7)