Trailer re-registration after customisation





Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Trailer re-registration after customisation

    Hi guys, being a newb on posting, but having followed this forum for ages now. I have a question and hopefully someone with similar experience can provide me with the answer.

    I customised my Wilderness trailer by adding an extension box (kitchen etc), added a TTT, got rid of the old axle and fitted a 1.6T braked axle and coupler. I also resprayed the trailer to green.

    So, having done all of this, the trailer now has in effect been upgraded to carry a heavier weight than the standard 750kg GVM. How would I go about "re-registering" the trailer to the new GVM and possibly colour? With the TTT and extra capacity I would most probably exceed 750kg GVM and the last I would want is to be fined because of this.

    (I've been taking photo's as I went along and will post the upgrade-story soon)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default No replies?

    Hi, regarding my question, with the no replies I'm wondering now if no one re-registered their trailer after such an upgrade? Am I being paranoid on the actual allowable weight not matching whats on NATIS?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orkney
    Age
    45
    Posts
    534
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Hi, Sorry I can not be of any help, but I will keep an eye on this thread, because I'm thinking of doing the same kind of thing.

    Hope you come right.
    ARMOND
    2006 Colt 3000V6 D/C 4X4
    2009 Explorer
    2016 Mahindra KUV100 K8

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Age
    39
    Posts
    686
    Thanked: 64

    Default

    Same here Johan. My gut feel is though that you might have to go through an entity like a manufacturer or trailer builder to have it done
    2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 d-4d 4x2
    Custom off-road trailer with Echo TTT

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    550
    Thanked: 107

    Default

    Hi, this may help
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=231078

    between my OP and now there was also a request on here that refered back to a detailed post on the subject.
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Post Answer

    Hi,
    For those interested, regarding my original question:

    If you have increased your trailer's carrying capacity(weight) the following needs to be done (In the Western Cape...not too sure about the other provinces).

    1. Get your empty trailer weighed at a registered weighbridge. (A scrap metal place should be your first stop as they have the facilities to weigh vehicles). There is a weight registration form available from your local municipal offices which needs to be completed by the weighbridge operator. The weighbridge also needs to supply you with a weight certificate.

    2. Next stop is your local inspection center. Once again there is an official form which needs to be completed and signed off by the inspection center's authorised person. They basically have to inspect the trailer, check the brakes to be properly installed etc.

    3. Then off to the municipality where you complete yet another form. This time the vehicle modification form on which you indicate only the changes which were made to the vehicle.

    4. Also take with you all your invoices for the equipment (in my case, the braked axle and new coupler). I would suggest making copies of all the invoices, forms and certificates you got in steps 1-3. Oh and remember a utility bill as per the new FICA requirements for ALL vehicle related transactions.

    5. After doing the queue-thing, all the forms are taken from you, scanned in and sent off to the central processing center. (Apparently the local municipalities do not have authorisation or the know-how? You also do not get the forms/certificates etc back) The central processing center will then decide whether the trailer modification needs to be SABS inspected and this decision process apparently takes 3-5 working days. (this is what I'm currently waiting for and have no idea whether they will just adjust NATIS or if they will actually let me know. My licence is up for renewal this month so I suppose I'll find out when I renew.)

    I will keep you posted should anything happen

    Oh, just so by the way....I made the following mod's to my Wilderness trailer:
    * Installed a 1.8t braked axle & coupler
    * Replaced the lid with a kitchen type frame (Thanks Skymaster for sharing your original design : http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=68657). The kitchen mod weighs less than the original Lid which was removed. (Still have the lid if anyone wants to make me an offer )
    * Installed a Tentco Senior Family tent with awning
    * Installed a battery into the nosecone
    * Resprayed the trailer "Comando Green"
    When I had the trailer weighed, the TARE weighed in at 760kg. Illegal to tow empty while still registered as 750kg GVM trailer.
    (This made me wonder how the original TARE could have been round about 400kg if the tent only weighs 100kg and the additional weight of the battery and braked axle is taken into consideration)

    I hope this helps if you have modified your trailer for extra weight capacity. If you don't do it, you could be fined and made to offload the extra weight at a roadblock - if they have a weighbridge available to weigh your trailer in the first place.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Age
    39
    Posts
    686
    Thanked: 64

    Default

    Would like to see a few pics of your upgrade!
    Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by konstanddp; 2016/01/04 at 11:39 AM.
    2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 d-4d 4x2
    Custom off-road trailer with Echo TTT

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Age
    39
    Posts
    686
    Thanked: 64

    Default

    BTW, my trailer is also rated 750kg. But at some time or another they made a typo on the registration and the disk, as well as the registration papers now state 7500kg. Wonder what difference that will make if I get pulled over...
    2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 d-4d 4x2
    Custom off-road trailer with Echo TTT

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johan Gr View Post
    Hi,
    For those interested, regarding my original question:

    If you have increased your trailer's carrying capacity(weight) the following needs to be done (In the Western Cape...not too sure about the other provinces).

    1. Get your empty trailer weighed at a registered weighbridge. (A scrap metal place should be your first stop as they have the facilities to weigh vehicles). There is a weight registration form available from your local municipal offices which needs to be completed by the weighbridge operator. The weighbridge also needs to supply you with a weight certificate.

    2. Next stop is your local inspection center. Once again there is an official form which needs to be completed and signed off by the inspection center's authorised person. They basically have to inspect the trailer, check the brakes to be properly installed etc.

    3. Then off to the municipality where you complete yet another form. This time the vehicle modification form on which you indicate only the changes which were made to the vehicle.

    4. Also take with you all your invoices for the equipment (in my case, the braked axle and new coupler). I would suggest making copies of all the invoices, forms and certificates you got in steps 1-3. Oh and remember a utility bill as per the new FICA requirements for ALL vehicle related transactions.

    5. After doing the queue-thing, all the forms are taken from you, scanned in and sent off to the central processing center. (Apparently the local municipalities do not have authorisation or the know-how? You also do not get the forms/certificates etc back) The central processing center will then decide whether the trailer modification needs to be SABS inspected and this decision process apparently takes 3-5 working days. (this is what I'm currently waiting for and have no idea whether they will just adjust NATIS or if they will actually let me know. My licence is up for renewal this month so I suppose I'll find out when I renew.)

    I will keep you posted should anything happen

    Oh, just so by the way....I made the following mod's to my Wilderness trailer:
    * Installed a 1.8t braked axle & coupler
    * Replaced the lid with a kitchen type frame (Thanks Skymaster for sharing your original design : http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=68657). The kitchen mod weighs less than the original Lid which was removed. (Still have the lid if anyone wants to make me an offer )
    * Installed a Tentco Senior Family tent with awning
    * Installed a battery into the nosecone
    * Resprayed the trailer "Comando Green"
    When I had the trailer weighed, the TARE weighed in at 760kg. Illegal to tow empty while still registered as 750kg GVM trailer.
    (This made me wonder how the original TARE could have been round about 400kg if the tent only weighs 100kg and the additional weight of the battery and braked axle is taken into consideration)

    I hope this helps if you have modified your trailer for extra weight capacity. If you don't do it, you could be fined and made to offload the extra weight at a roadblock - if they have a weighbridge available to weigh your trailer in the first place.
    Got a call from the municipality this morning. TARE, GVM and colour has been updated. All legal now

    P.S. All of this costed R0. However do shop around when you do the weighing and testing station....one testing station quoted me R260 for the inspection.

    Will post photo's and a short write-up of the mods shortly.
    Last edited by Johan Gr; 2016/01/05 at 09:08 AM. Reason: update

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    42
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Hi Johan Gr, wat is jou nuwe Tare en GVM wat jy nou op jou VIN plaatjie gaan plaas as ek mag vra? Die rede hoekom ek vra is omdat ek ook besig is met dieselfde proses in die Paarl en jy het geen idee hoeveel moelikheid ek kry nie. Ek sukkel geweldig om my proses afgehandel te kry.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMW1200GS View Post
    Hi Johan Gr, wat is jou nuwe Tare en GVM wat jy nou op jou VIN plaatjie gaan plaas as ek mag vra? Die rede hoekom ek vra is omdat ek ook besig is met dieselfde proses in die Paarl en jy het geen idee hoeveel moelikheid ek kry nie. Ek sukkel geweldig om my proses afgehandel te kry.
    Hi,
    Die TARE is nou 760kg en die GVM is 1800kg. Watter tipe probleme ondervind jy?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    42
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Om jou die waarheid te sÍ het ek dieselfde as jy gedoen. Om jou die hele prentjie te skets gaan ek moet verduidelik.

    Ek het Januarie 2015 'n tweedehandse Bushwakka gekoop, ook geen brieke, 750kg GVM, Tare omtrent so 400kg as ek reg onthou en toe ek die wa weeg is die gewig 532kg. By dit trek ek toe een aand die wa in my driveway in en die disselboom haak aan die een pilaar en ek knak die disselboom waar die VIN nommer sit. Toe staan ek voor 'n besluit.

    Deeglike beplanning het gevolg. Alle inligting ingewin by die verkeersowerheid oor wat mag ek doen en wat nie. Op daardie stadium was die wa reeds deur die roadworthy en op my naam. Ek het toe die volgende besluit:

    2.5T as moet in met inloop remme, 1.8T veerblaaie, 2T nuwe hak en nuwe disselboom wat sterk genoeg gaan wees om die gewig te hanteer en 16" wiele soos per my bakkie spec vir gerief.

    Die verkeersdepartement het gesÍ ek mag die werk self doen, ek moenie die wa skraap nie want hy gaan sy VIN nommer behou, die SABS moet die wa sien en 'n sertifikaat uitreik na ek 'n nuwe polisieklarings nommer gekry het en dan mag ek weer roadworthy.

    Ek het vervaardig aan die wa vanaf Maart maand tot November. Sommer al die bokse buite om vergroot en deksels vervang, kombuis agter aangebou, modderskerms vervang om by die wiele te pas en laat oor spuitverf. Toe begin die admin proses.

    Ek het die weegbrug sertifikaat gekry. Ek was toetssentrum toe om die briek sertifikaat te kry. Toe moet ek polisieklaring toe. Daar weier hulle toe om te glo dat ek die eienaar van de wa is. Dat ek hom moontlik gesteel het was glad nie 'n geheim nie. 'n Ondersoekbeampte van die voertuig misdaad eenheid moes kom inspeksie hou by my huis en die saak ondersoek. So gedoen en hy was tevrede. Weer terug na polisieklaring. Daar word die saak verder geneem en die vorige eienaar word gebel, polisie word gebel om diefstal te check, Wellington verkeer word gebel en verklarings word afgelÍ. Na dit als stuur hulle my om die wa te gaan skraap want hulle wil 'n nuwe VIN nommer gee. Toe moes ek dit maar doen. Daarna is nuwe VIN nommer en polisieklaring nommer uitegerik, gepons en die ou van die NRCS wat die SABS check kom doen was by my huis, het die wa gecheck en is dood tevrede met alles. Die papierwerk is nou Pretoria toe vir 'n handtekeing en hopelik binne drie maande sal ek dit terugkry.

    DAN moet ek weer polisieklaring toe met DataDot papiere en weer roadworthy en dan weer na verkeer om die wa op die sisteem te sit. Dan mag ek eers 'n regsistrasie van die wa doen.

    Wat 'n beslommernis. Ek sal niemand ooit aanraai om die proses aan te pak nie. Nie na my ervaring nie.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    EISH.

    Nee wat wou. Ek het ook voor die tyd (na my eerste post) gaan hoor wat ek te doen staan. Omrede die trailer al reeds bestaan, 'n VIN nommer het en op my naam was, was dit nie nodig om 'n polisie klaring te kry nie. Polisie klarings is blykbaar net nodig as jy die trailer van scratch af gebou het en die trailer nie van 'n VIN nommer beskik nie. (Ek dink iemand het jou dalk op die verkeerde pad gestuur). Die persoon wat voor my gestaan het in die ry moes wel 'n polisie klaring kry omrede hy self die trailer gebou het.)

    In my geval het die trailer sy VIN nr en registrasie behou en staan nogsteeds as 'n bushwacker bekend op die stelsel. LW dat ek nie die trailer hoef te geskrap het nie en hy is nie as 'n rebuild geregistreer nie.

    BAIE sterkte aan daai kant en ek hoop dinge draai nou reg uit vir jou.

    (Toe ek die eerste slag gaan uitvind het wat om te doen, het hulle 'n prosedure handleiding uitgehaal en daaruit verwys. Dit is seker moontlik dat die persoon wat jou aan die begin gehelp het sommer self besluit het wat j moes doen)

    Johan.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    42
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Ja nee verseker is dit nou maar 'n wag speletjie. Ek het op 'n stadium begin dink die mense speel met my want jy voel so magteloos as die inligting wat jy ontvang so teenstrydig is. Ek het al die eposse uitgehaal en gewys waar die hoof van die afdeling my die roete aangedui het wat om te doen maar steeds wil niemand niks weet nie. Ek het twee volle dae spandeer by die polisieklaring. Maar nou jou, dis ou gedane sake. Ek is nou so ver en hoop vir die beste verder. Ek dink ek sien darem al lig in die einde van die tonnel. Goed gaan.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,239
    Thanked: 83

    Default

    Seems like quite a process Johan, probably easier to go through a trailer manufacturer?


    Question: Im assuming you also have the correct drivers license to tow the trailer and obviously correct towing vehicle with towing capacity? You seem to be of the few "do it to the book" guys ;-)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    42
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    My licence is in order yes and the guy from the NRCS asked me what vehicle I will use for towing, he checked my disc on the vehicle, took out a book and gave me a GVM of 2000kg for the trailer that is within the vehicles specifications.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ozosborne View Post
    Seems like quite a process Johan, probably easier to go through a trailer manufacturer?


    Question: Im assuming you also have the correct drivers license to tow the trailer and obviously correct towing vehicle with towing capacity? You seem to be of the few "do it to the book" guys ;-)
    The problem with trying to go through the manufacturers....and I fully understand why....is that they are not willing to put their name on the stake for every Tom, Dick and Harry who modified their own trailer. The manufacturer will still have to get the trailer weighed, inspected and admin'ed and even if they would be willing, you would pay premium for this. Different story if the manufacturer did the upgrade for you, but in this case I opted to do it myself as a "hobby" project.

    Two reasons for doing it by the book (read "traffic book").....one, the hefty fines which you would have to pay should you be stopped...even if your trailer is capable of carrying the load, if it's not registered to do so you'll get fined.

    Reason number two and this so much out ways reason one: Imagine you are on holiday. As you drive through PutSonderWater or TweeBokkeMetEenSkootGeskiet, you get pulled over and your trailer gets weighed, let's say weighing in at 1100kg (PRETTY EASY TO ACHIEVE ).
    Practically you can tow 1800kg because you've done the upgrade, but your NATIS detail says 750kg is your max. Now except for the hefty fine, you will have to unload 450kg from your trailer before they will let you go any further. What do you do with 450kg's camping gear in the middle of nowhere.

    And then, if the law enforcer wants to be a real "hardegat", he could go so far as to start looking at the vehicle's GCW etc etc.

    As far as the licence is concerned, I have Code 08 EB which covers trailers up to 3500kg and my Jeep comes in at 1800kg. So quite legal yeah.

    Photo of trailer attached (I'll still post the whole upgrade story with pics)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Johan Gr; 2016/01/07 at 02:15 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Richwood, Cape Town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    635
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Johan Gr - jy het die proses reg - sien my post hier http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=240611 in hierdie afdeling wat jou dalk mag help. Dis tydrowend, maar die moeite werd.


    Sleepwa lyk goed!
    Last edited by dudley; 2016/01/11 at 12:25 PM.
    [LEFT]"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"
    Oscar Wilde

    [/LEFT
    ]" The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil"
    Hannah Arendt

Similar Threads

  1. overloading - pull off and fines - BE WARNED!!!
    By Apocalypse in forum Camping, Fridges, Accessories
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 2016/10/19, 09:15 AM
  2. Metalian- Awesome trailer, Crap Service!
    By Smiles in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 203
    Last Post: 2015/01/17, 09:38 PM
  3. Secondhand trailer registration
    By CornellMans in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2014/11/26, 10:35 AM
  4. Offtrax Outplay: An excellent trailer!
    By georgeb in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2013/06/01, 06:49 PM
  5. Reversing with a trailer behind your 4x4?
    By Big Hilux in forum Vehicle & Technical Chat - General
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 2013/02/04, 12:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •