Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Default Re: Renault Duster Problems

Do you know when last the fuel filter was changed? Is it the 66 or 80kw model that you have?

a common issue is a pipe behind the engine that (I think) runs from the EGR to the exhaust can split, and could cause erratic running. Itís a small red pipe if I recall correctly. It might be worth checking that area for soot which could indicate a split pipe?
    Daily: 2018 Duster 4x4 1.5 dCi Dynamique
    Ex: 2007 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T, 2011 Hyundai i30 1.6, 2004 Kawasaki KLR650 and a few other jalopies

Quote Originally Posted by PhireSide View Post
    Do you know when last the fuel filter was changed? Is it the 66 or 80kw model that you have?

a common issue is a pipe behind the engine that (I think) runs from the EGR to the exhaust can split, and could cause erratic running. Itís a small red pipe if I recall correctly. It might be worth checking that area for soot which could indicate a split pipe?
    It's an 80kw engine and fuel filter was changed about 30000km ago. Turbo was done with new actuator and internals. They say they cleaned out the egr.
    IF YOU CANNOT BE AN ASSET, DON'T BE A LIABILITY.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaasim View Post
    Further Update:
    Not good news! The fix lasted for a short while. Problem returned a few days ago and worse on the day before I was scheduled to travel to PE. Still drove from Durbs to PE yesterday. Car pulled through but I noticed the "missing" especially at around 2000rpm mark when the accelerator is slightly depressed at a certain threshold. If you floor it and it's high speed, no miss. It seems that it does not replicate all the time. You have to drive it a while to notice it. Gives me scare as if the engine is going to fail or switch off but the moment I press the accelerator, it chugs along. Also noticed a bit of power loss going uphill in 6th gear compared to previous experience.

What could it be? No fault codes and no lights coming on the dashboard. Car goes well ex ept for this issue which is frustrating me. Don't want to sell her yet. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am considering replacing air flow sensor and MAP sensor with new parts as the clean up initially made a difference. Seemed like the problem was gone. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
    The MAF is associated with misfiring and running poorly, but not just in a certaiun rpm range. It will throw codes DTC010122 and DTC010016, the diesel clacking will be louder and it will be thrown into limp mode. It will also result in lower fuel eonomy, stall the motor and light up your dashboard.

Fautly injectors cause hard starts, engine performance at all speeds, continuous white, grey or black smoke. Hard acceleration clearing the problem is another symptom.

A clogged fuel filter usually results in continuous white smoke and will eventually damage the fuel pump.

Fuel pump failing will result in a whining noise from the fuel tank, difficult starting, engine spluttering, loss of power under stress, car surging, excessive fuel consumption or it won't start.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm, WD = 820mm

Red pipe looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    The MAF is associated with misfiring and running poorly, but not just in a certaiun rpm range. It will throw codes DTC010122 and DTC010016, the diesel clacking will be louder and it will be thrown into limp mode. It will also result in lower fuel eonomy, stall the motor and light up your dashboard.

Fautly injectors cause hard starts, engine performance at all speeds, continuous white, grey or black smoke. Hard acceleration clearing the problem is another symptom.

A clogged fuel filter usually results in continuous white smoke and will eventually damage the fuel pump.

Fuel pump failing will result in a whining noise from the fuel tank, difficult starting, engine spluttering, loss of power under stress, car surging, excessive fuel consumption or it won't start.
    Not ticking all the boxes. Perhaps it's the MAP sensor and pipe or even faulty injectors

Update:

I took out the MAF and MAP sensors and cleaned them again. Replaced the rubber hose that goes from MAP sensor to plastic pipe. I did have a problem before where the hose was cut and it was giving a slight miss. I was using a fuel hose there but should I be using a braided hose? The one I had put was about a year old but showing signs of wear especially on the clamp end. One end was cut so maybe that was an issue. Also noticed that the nozzle it fits over on the plastic pipe going down was also a bit broken with all the movement of the hose to get it on the nozzle so I epoxied that bit together. Trying my bush mechanic tactics. Let's see whether there is any difference. Will keep you guys posted. Any suggestions welcome. I just feel it has something to do with these two sensors or maybe injectors starting to go bad.
    Last edited by Qaasim; 2024/04/13 at 02:43 PM.

Further Update:
    Not good news! The fix lasted for a short while. Problem returned a few days ago and worse on the day before I was scheduled to travel to PE. Still drove from Durbs to PE yesterday. Car pulled through but I noticed the "missing" especially at around 2000rpm mark when the accelerator is slightly depressed at a certain threshold. If you floor it and it's high speed, no miss. It seems that it does not replicate all the time. You have to drive it a while to notice it. Gives me scare as if the engine is going to fail or switch off but the moment I press the accelerator, it chugs along. Also noticed a bit of power loss going uphill in 6th gear compared to previous experience.

What could it be? No fault codes and no lights coming on the dashboard. Car goes well ex ept for this issue which is frustrating me. Don't want to sell her yet. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am considering replacing air flow sensor and MAP sensor with new parts as the clean up initially made a difference. Seemed like the problem was gone. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
    Update:

It doesn't rain, it pours! Got stuck in Idutywa on my way back to Durbs from PE with the family. Engine stop light came on and loud swishing sound through air vents. Cost me a package to tow it home. Car starts and drives. Not overheating. What could it be? Mayb3 the misses were related. Did notice drop in power and increased fuel consumption but no smoke from exhaust at all. Any suggestions?

Update:

It doesn't rain, it pours! Got stuck in Idutywa on my way back to Durbs from PE with the family. Engine stop light came on and loud swishing sound through air vents. Cost me a package to tow it home. Car starts and drives. Not overheating. What could it be? Mayb3 the misses were related. Did notice drop in power and increased fuel consumption but no smoke from exhaust at all. Any suggestions?
    I think at this stage you need to try scan for codes to see if anything is stored. There should be, since you had the engine stop light illuminate. I'm not sure why you would hear a loud noise through the vents though, this is strange.

I'd be leaning towards something with the injectors, or maybe something with the suction control valve isn't well. Do you have someone who can scan the car for codes?
    Ex: 2007 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T, 2011 Hyundai i30 1.6, 2004 Kawasaki KLR650 and a few other jalopies

I think at this stage you need to try scan for codes to see if anything is stored. There should be, since you had the engine stop light illuminate. I'm not sure why you would hear a loud noise through the vents though, this is strange.

I'd be leaning towards something with the injectors, or maybe something with the suction control valve isn't well. Do you have someone who can scan the car for codes?
    Scanned this morning. Something about the down pipe from turbine. Apparently losing air so no boost. Sent it to KZN Turbo to fix. They say nothing major. Pipe from egr or elsewhere has a leak or popped out. Hope it's a cheap fix. I already paid too much to get home even though I am an AA member for over a decade and contacted them.
    Last edited by Qaasim; 2024/04/16 at 02:00 PM.

Scanned this morning. Something about the down pipe from turbine. Apparently losing air so no boost. Sent it to KZN Turbo to fix. They say nothing major. Pipe from egr or elsewhere has a leak or popped out. Hope it's a cheap fix. I already paid too much to get home even though I am an AA member for over a decade and contacted them.
    'down pipe from turbine' sounds like something after the turbo on the exhaust side. But if they said you are losing boost, then it can only be the piping between the turbo compressor and the engine right before the throttle body (there is a sensor there that measures air temperature or pressure, or both, right before the throttle plate) that is suspect.

Unless of course the low boost is as a result of the engine going into limp mode, which also makes sense as it will probably limit boost to safeguard the engine.

Airflow goes from the airbox, past the IAT/MAF sensor, then passes behind the engine where it goes through the turbo compressor, down into the intercooler, up again over the engine where there is another air pressure sensor (to check that received boost matches requested boost post-turbo), past the throttle plate and into the manifold.

If you have any leaks in this path, you will likely get an error code or lights on the dash.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PhireSide For This Useful Post:

...before the throttle body (there is a sensor there that measures air temperature or pressure, or both, right before the throttle plate) that is suspect.
    That post turbo sensor measures both temp & pressure.

I thought diesel motors didn't have throttle plates, but I agree, ours sure looks like one. Upon enquiry, I was told it was to assist with idling.

That post turbo sensor measures both temp & pressure.

I thought diesel motors didn't have throttle plates, but I agree, ours sure looks like one. Upon enquiry, I was told it was to assist with idling.
    It seems like a lot of modern diesels do this (VW group of cars all have this built in), probably to help swirl the air when cold and idling, as you say. Diesel engines of yore used to sometimes have very lumpy idles until the combustion chambers were nice and toasty. I think with the high pressures of modern common-rail diesels, this isn't as big of an issue.

The other thing I was thinking it could be, is a plate that shuts when the key is turned off. Perhaps to prevent a runaway diesel in the event that the engine ingests oil past a blown ring? I recall older VW's used a plate (anti-shudder valve) that would jump closed once the key was turned off, much in the same way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PhireSide For This Useful Post:

You were right!!! Red pipe split on the side I could not see (facing engine). Can I use any pipe there? Where can I get a replacement? Workshop says it has another hose inside so like a specialized pipe.
    Last edited by Qaasim; 2024/04/17 at 05:08 PM.

When I ran the wire from the battery to my stereo's auxiliary amp to boost the bass, I noted that the driver's floor pan below the carpeting was sopping wet.

I dried it out and placed a rag around and just inside the oval opening in the rain gutter, in case it was coming in that way. It was completely dry even after a heavy rainstorm.

I also placed a rag on the lower slope of the driver's firewall, just below the steering wheel shaft. This rag was completely wet from side to side and more water had collected in the driver's floor pan.

The water doesn't feel nor smell of radiator water from a broken heater core or pipes.

Any ideas on the source or method I can use to find it?

You were right!!! Red pipe split on the side I could not see (facing engine). Can I use any pipe there? Where can I get a replacement? Workshop says it has another hose inside so like a specialized pipe.
    Have you tried the agents for pricing on this pipe? Itís very short, so hopefully it wonít cost an arm and a leg to acquire.

it has to carry hot exhaust gases so I would imagine that it has to be able to withstand high temperatures from the inside as well as from the outside, seeing as itís nestled in between the firewall and the exhaust manifold.

Good morning everyone,

This little red pipe - our diesel Duster also blew this pipe twice. Last one was in Springbok on the way to Namibia. Renault Dealer was unable to assist....would take more than a week to get the part in.... Went to another workshop in Springbok. The red pipe was replaced with a piece of brass pipe from a lorry valve. This brass pipe was put into a high pressure fuel pipe for diesel engines, acting as a sleeve. Two small clamps on each side. This bush fix has travelled to Namibia and back twice. (Touch wood). I must add, the paw x paw's DPF and CAT was removed just prior to that. Hope it lasts. Car pulls well.

I maintain that these little Dusters are tough cars - just keep them away from Renault Dealers with laptops...

GrŁsse,

Reyno

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reyno For This Useful Post:

When I ran the wire from the battery to my stereo's auxiliary amp to boost the bass, I noted that the driver's floor pan below the carpeting was sopping wet.

I dried it out and placed a rag around and just inside the oval opening in the rain gutter, in case it was coming in that way. It was completely dry even after a heavy rainstorm.

I also placed a rag on the lower slope of the driver's firewall, just below the steering wheel shaft. This rag was completely wet from side to side and more water had collected in the driver's floor pan.

The water doesn't feel nor smell of radiator water from a broken heater core or pipes.

Any ideas on the source or method I can use to find it?
    Check your AC drain hose, I believe some early models had issues with it either blocking up or coming detached and dumping the condensate inside the cabin. Does water drain off if you throw say, a litre of water into your scuttle panel? I believe (not 100% sure though) that the scuttle panel and AC drain have a shared line, so some debris could have made it's way through and gotten stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyno View Post
    Good morning everyone,

This little red pipe - our diesel Duster also blew this pipe twice. Last one was in Springbok on the way to Namibia. Renault Dealer was unable to assist....would take more than a week to get the part in.... Went to another workshop in Springbok. The red pipe was replaced with a piece of brass pipe from a lorry valve. This brass pipe was put into a high pressure fuel pipe for diesel engines, acting as a sleeve. Two small clamps on each side. This bush fix has travelled to Namibia and back twice. (Touch wood). I must add, the paw x paw's DPF and CAT was removed just prior to that. Hope it lasts. Car pulls well.

I maintain that these little Dusters are tough cars - just keep them away from Renault Dealers with laptops...

GrŁsse,

Reyno
    Hi Reyno,

Is there any chance you can show us what this fix looked like? It seems like a very common failure, so a more permanent fix would be what I would do if/when mine splits. Or just deleting the EGR entirely and plugging the line...

Any suggestions on what to use to glue the plastic nozzle that broke off from air intake pipe? Tried JB plastic weld but no good.
    Last edited by Qaasim; 2024/04/19 at 02:01 PM.

Mystery solved

First let me say that I removed the driver's floor foam blocks, sopping underfelt and sponged up all of the water in the floor pan.

Then, I removed the driver's fender liner and sprayed it with water, which resulted in a light mud slurry. So, no clogging twigs, etc.

Then I spray hosed the rain gully, which filled the floor pan again. Very little came out behind the lower fender liner.

I sponged the floor pan again and just added a litre slowly into the rain gutter, but drop for drop, it came to the interior under the felt backed hard sponge under the pedals, which I had lifted slighly at the bottom for this exercise.

Something's wrong.

I could never see under the wiper motor. So, I dropped it, but still cannot figure out how to remove it. Now you can see my problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-19 181013.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	720250

That blue is the top of the underfelt that you can see through a rusted hole. This is the photo before I sanded it so that you can some of the rust. This whole area is rusted up to the windscreen down to the water exit hole (I had removed the plug).

While sanding, I removed largest chunks of rusted metal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-19 180841.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	468.8 KB 
ID:	720251

I have now applied a Rustoleum paint in three sessions as I had to move the motor each time to get at a new section. Needless to say the motor has some paint dabs now.

Tomororrow I hope to start filling the hole. I had painted on top of the underfelt to help hold my new floor.

Any suggestions on what to use to glue the plastic nozzle that broke off from air intake pipe? Tried JB plastic weld but no good.
    Is this the lead to the temp / boost sensor? You can try superglue, but I replaced mine with a proper aluminium charge pipe with aluminium temp / boost sensor nozzle.

I have mentioned before that I don't like plastic.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast