Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Default Re: Renault Duster Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflyer View Post
    Anyone ever had issues with the power steering pump on a diesel Duster?

Mine has an intermittent issue where it doesn't activate immediately on start up and I reverse out the driveway with no power steering. It always comes on after a few seconds.

Secondly, when steering, the power steering pump makes a whistling noise, almost like the bearing is buggered.

I have dropped off the vehicle at Renault as it is still under warranty until the 21st of this month. I just want to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Cheers
    Luke
    On a very few of the very first Gen1s, they had a belt driven hydraulic pump and a few did leak. However, I haven't seen any problems with the electric pump version.

The electric fuel pump regulator makes a whining noise and has been prone to failure.

Please report what Renault says.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm, WD = 820mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    This is not Duster specific but I was at TW&T yesterday and again witnessed what corroded rear wheel hubs can do.
    This is a common problem in the land of snow where they salt the roads. I've seen some similar activity on my various vehicles here just living near the coast. When I rotate my tyres, at least once a year, I apply grease on the wheel / hub contact surfaces, especially on the inner 45 degree bevel.

Hi all

So my 2016 Duster diesel has lost power and fuel consumption has taken a hike. Additionally, the engine has been very noisy.

On further investigation, it was found that the rod which opens and closes the EGR has worn and broken off. So, the EGR is not functioning. See pics.

Renault wants me to buy the entire unit for R7750.

Has anyone repaired one of these before by modifying the rod?

Thanks
    Luke
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210211_150654.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	605761
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210211_163453.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	605762
    It has broken off where the arrow is pointing. It is the rod you see in my first photo.
    Last edited by Lowflyer; 2021/02/11 at 04:36 PM.

How many kilometres on the dial?

The EGR exists just so that the OEM can pass initial emissions testing. Anything in the exhaust flow will eventually get coated with soot and freeze. In the UK, to continuously pass their MOT, the guys are dismantling their EGR every six months or 10k in order for it to continue functioning.

Here, we don't have on-going tests. Why not give your engine some more oxygen instead of it having to breath up to 25% exhaust? You'll get better performance and fuel economy without it. The motor will run slightly warmer as it more efficiently burns the fuel.

You can insert a blanking plug between the flex pipe and exhaust manifold. Be sure to crimp the flex pipe ends to assist the "V" band clamps to contain the exhaust fumes. I'd just get a good exhaust shop to weld a plug on the EM and EGR, which is quicker and cheaper than importing a plug. You will also need to get the ECU remapped in order for it to ignore the trouble codes, typically P0409.

As you wanted to delete your Cat / DPF, do it at the same time as your EGR delete and save with just a single remap. You could also ask for a slight bump in your injection cycle as you'll then have 20% excess air in the combustion chamber. You could also ask for more boost, but that is at your risk. Perhaps just ask that it starts boosting a bit sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    When I took it in for a service, i just mentioned that the roof lining was very noisy, and the guy that was booking it in said they were aware of the issue and there was a recall for it. The fix is apparently additional foam that gets installed behind (above) the roof lining. They are waiting for the clips that, I assume, hold the roof lining in, and will give me a call to bring it in to get it sorted.

This was at Route 24 Renault in Edenvale.

The cracks in the flexible filler on the roof is also apparently sortable as a warranty claim, but will involve taking the vehicle to a panel beater and getting it partially resprayed, so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with that one. Mine's a dark purple metallic colour that I reckon will be difficult to match properly.

Edit: I see your's is a 2015 model - I don't know if the recall is for all models, or only specific ones, but try Thabang Mohapi on 011 456 9300 - he is the service advisor who helped me.
    ...still waiting. They've never contacted me to give me any feedback, but I've followed u a couple of times, with the same response...waiting for parts.

May have to pay them a visit next week.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2007 Volkswagen T5 4Motion

So much for the 95% parts availability claim.

For those who are interested, here is a link I found recently uploaded on YouTube showing how to clean a Renault 1.5 dCi EGR valve. I know it's on a Clio, but it all looks identical to my Duster's engine.

This is for those who don't want to blank and delete the EGR:
    https://youtu.be/hHK51MNcEsI

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers
    Luke

Our EGR is similarly placed at the back of the engine. It just faces the other direction. It's just as difficult to access and it's a dirty job. Think of how much weight one could save if you could remove the whole contraption permanently. You'd have to plug (or replace) the exhaust manifold, add a section to the intake manifold (to replace where it mixes exhaust and fresh air) and reroute the oil and water lines though. Also, note that they replaced the silly French clips. Still, like I said, it's a dirty job and you have to get the sequencing exactly right.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Morning all

For those of you who have replaced a clutch on the diesel Duster, what were the symptoms of the clutch going?

I traveled from EL to DBN yesterday, and when accelerating uphill (doesn't matter which gear) I hear a vibrating noise coming from the front. You can't physically feel any vibration, but you can hear it. The revs aren't shooting up with the vehicle moving either.

The research I've done leads me to believe it could be the cv joint/axle causing it, but someone told me it could be the clutch as well.

When I arrived in DBN, there was a fair amount of clutch shudder when acceleration from a standstill.

I can't record it to play the sound for you either because the sound is too soft.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Estimates of cost for replacing the clutch or cv would be helpful too, please.
    Last edited by Lowflyer; 2021/04/17 at 08:19 AM.

The shudder then slipping are common symptoms for our clutch.

We have a dual mass clutch (DMC), actually flywheel. I think it is the springs in the DMC that are vibrating trying to maintain grip, but that is speculation on my part. You can weld them together to make a single mass clutch (SMC), but your clutch is probably going.

DMC assist with engine vibrations reducing wear on the tranny, etc. DMCs are more likely to judder due to the additional arc spring between the two plates.

Manufactured SMC are cheaper, can be resurfaced, better heat sink vs warping, allows engine to rev quicker, handles engine torque better, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    The shudder then slipping are common symptoms for our clutch.

We have a dual mass clutch (DMC), actually flywheel. I think it is the springs in the DMC that are vibrating trying to maintain grip, but that is speculation on my part. You can weld them together to make a single mass clutch (SMC), but your clutch is probably going.

DMC assist with engine vibrations reducing wear on the tranny, etc. DMCs are more likely to judder due to the additional arc spring between the two plates.

Manufactured SMC are cheaper, can be resurfaced, better heat sink vs warping, allows engine to rev quicker, handles engine torque better, etc.
    Thanks for the response, Butch.

Firstly, where can one purchase a SMC?

Secondly, is it possible to resurface(skim) the Duster's flywheel?

LMB Euroseals was going to make a single mass clutch (SMC) for our vehicle. Contact [email protected] and give us an update.

My understanding is that a DMC cannot be resurfaced. I've never heard on any.

I also have a clutch-related question:
    Yesterday I noticed a "click" when I depress the clutch. Right at the top, after about 5-10mm, before the clutch actually engages.

I haven't had tie to have a proper look, but it feels like the pedal is catching on something. I felt around but can't see anything.
    Any suggestions or ideas, if anyone had had something similar to save me looking in the wrong spot?

Note, it doesn't seem to affect the actual operation of the clutch.

I've looked at my clutch pedal and at the manual looking for any electrical connection that might make a clicking sound (like when depressing the brake pedal for the brake light), but didn't find anything.

The other possibility would be the thrust bearing, which could make a clicking sound when engaging or disengaging (hopefully not this).

Out of boredom I and my boys test drove the latest Duster Techroad auto (think that is the name).

Very nice vehicle, but there was a strange shudder through the vehicle?

Anyone else experienced this shudder?
    Everyday may not be good but there is something good in every day

Quote Originally Posted by Frikadel View Post
    Out of boredom I and my boys test drove the latest Duster Techroad auto (think that is the name).

Very nice vehicle, but there was a strange shudder through the vehicle?

Anyone else experienced this shudder?
    The shudder must be due to the "auto" shifting manual as this doesn't occur in the straight manual. No one seems to like the "auto" (not ready for prime time?).

I've looked at my clutch pedal and at the manual looking for any electrical connection that might make a clicking sound (like when depressing the brake pedal for the brake light), but didn't find anything.

The other possibility would be the thrust bearing, which could make a clicking sound when engaging or disengaging (hopefully not this).
    Thanks for the reply Butch. I've not had a chance to get down and have a proper look but have eliminated all the obvious culprits.
    I also don't believe (read: hope) it's not the thrust bearing, as the click occurs in the first few millimeters of depression, basically with just the weight of my foot. So it's before anything actually engages.

That being said, when I get a chance for a good look, I'll report back my findings.

Cheers

Pleasure - although I can't think why just yours would have dried out, it would be good if just some grease or oil was needed in the pedal holder.

LMB Euroseals was going to make a single mass clutch (SMC) for our vehicle. Contact [email protected] and give us an update.

My understanding is that a DMC cannot be resurfaced. I've never heard on any.
    So, I messaged these people using their website, I emailed them and tried to phone them using the number on their website. No luck.

To import a single mass conversion from eBay will cost the same as a dual mass replacement locally.

Catch 22

Catch 22 indeed

The cheapest option would probably be to pull the clutch out. Welding it into a SMC should stop the shudder, if caused by the springs. While it is out, you can check about resurfacing. If that doesn't work, then you have the local DMC to fall back onto.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast