Renault Duster Problems - Page 13

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Default DMC vs SMC

We have a dual mass clutch (DMC), actually flywheel. LMB Euroseals was going to make a single mass clutch (SMC) for our vehicle. Contact [email protected] and give us an update.

DMC assist with engine vibrations reducing wear on the tranny, etc. DMCs are more likely to judder due to the additional arc spring between the two plates.

SMC are cheaper, can be resurfaced, better heat sink vs warping, allows engine to rev quicker, handles engine torque better, etc.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow

Default Re: Renault Duster Problems

The DPF on my 2013 Duster failed for the second time at under 60000km. During the replacement under warranty in 2016 Renault Northcliff, instead of just replacing it, welded the DPF into the exhaust system. The warranty expired in November last year (I took the car to them on 11th January) and they refuse to replace the DPF under warranty or to put right their mistake. I eventually took the car to Powerflow Exhaust in Randburg to remove the DPF. They seem very professional and I got the car back last week. I now have the ABS and Stability warning lights on as soon as the vehicle is driven. Could this be caused by the software change to remove the DPF?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pienaar View Post
    The DPF on my 2013 Duster failed for the second time at under 60000km. During the replacement under warranty in 2016 Renault Northcliff, instead of just replacing it, welded the DPF into the exhaust system. The warranty expired in November last year (I took the car to them on 11th January) and they refuse to replace the DPF under warranty or to put right their mistake. I eventually took the car to Powerflow Exhaust in Randburg to remove the DPF. They seem very professional and I got the car back last week. I now have the ABS and Stability warning lights on as soon as the vehicle is driven. Could this be caused by the software change to remove the DPF?
    The DPF and EGR will require a remap to code it out of the system. I am not sure if the codes you have is related to the removal of the DPF but if it happened straight after there is a good chance that it is either connected or they damaged something during the removal.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Did they actually do the software. I suspect they just removed the physical device and not done the coding for it. But not knowing renault I can't say if it is right that the abs light is on for something that really should put an engine light on.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

@Dan Pienaar – first post, welcome to the forum

The DPF is welded to the remainder of the tailpipe. The cat sits in front of it connected to the pipe coming from the turbo’s exhaust. Gen1 is a double bulbous combined cat / DPF affair.

You say, “Could this be caused by the software change to remove the DPF?”
    Did you have a re-map of the ECU done?

The ECU, ABS and EBS are all on the same Canbus, but use different controllers. The physical sensors are separate and run to their controller.

The Powerflow guys are professional here too, but they don’t do ECU re-flashes.

Do the EGR delete as well, then tell your favourite shop what you’ve done, but ask them to first scan the codes thrown for the ABS and ESP idiot lights before re-flashing as re-flashing clears all codes. Please tell us the codes for our database. When they re-flash, they just check off which codes to ignore, but only ask for the codes related to the EGR and DPF. ABS and ESP are vital safety components. Get this sorted properly by your favourite shop and not Renault.

Thanks guys. I will check back with Powerflow. If they can't do the ECU re-flash who could? Also who could do the EGR delete? Your help is much appreciated!

Powerflow did my EGR delete, but that was because the flex tube containing the blanking plate wouldn't seal the exhaust properly. Powerflow "welded" both ends: the exhaust manifold and the other end of the flex tube into the EGR so that it didn't suck up any unexpected (unmeasured) oxygen. The latter probably wasn't necessary as it turned out the EGR valve was completely stuck. What can you expect with something sitting in hot sooty exhaust flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    Powerflow did my EGR delete, but that was because the flex tube containing the blanking plate wouldn't seal the exhaust properly. Powerflow "welded" both ends: the exhaust manifold and the other end of the flex tube into the EGR so that it didn't suck up any unexpected (unmeasured) oxygen. The latter probably wasn't necessary as it turned out the EGR valve was completely stuck. What can you expect with something sitting in hot sooty exhaust flow?
    Hi Butch Dassie, I recently knocked out my Tritons DPF and left the original pipe in place, I also made my own blanking plates and blanked of my EGR and the engine improvements on the 2.5 was very noticeable.
    I was wondering if this would be a similar process on the Duster? Is it something I could attempt myself or must I take it to Powerflow or someone similar? I was just thinking ofknocking the DPF out for now as its
    has a extended maintenance plan and I don't want it to obvious that I did some work on it if they ever need to inspect the vehicle for claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Yster1979 View Post
    Hi Butch Dassie, I recently knocked out my Tritons DPF and left the original pipe in place, I also made my own blanking plates and blanked of my EGR and the engine improvements on the 2.5 was very noticeable.
    I was wondering if this would be a similar process on the Duster? Is it something I could attempt myself or must I take it to Powerflow or someone similar? I was just thinking ofknocking the DPF out for now as its
    has a extended maintenance plan and I don't want it to obvious that I did some work on it if they ever need to inspect the vehicle for claims.
    Unfortunately the duster has a lot of sensors before and after the DPF and that is why the coding is required.

What one needs to do is to remove the exhaust, cut it from the top where it is not visible, do the gutting, re-weld and install. I wanted the palladium recycled and didn't want to breathe the ceramic dust, I let Powerflow do all that.
    The problem with the flex pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR is the pinched ends and the two silly Renault clamps. One replacement OEM clamp failed to clip together and the once removed (and mine failed anyway) flex tube does not fit tightly back onto the nipples. You might be able to press the end flanges back tighter, but it would have to be done simultaneously in a complete circle. "Welding" the exhaust manifold meant that the flex pipe fit didn't matter anymore and is just for inspection purposes. I couldn't weld on the exhaust manifold. So, I took it to Powerflow who could.
    Most dealerships just re-flash the chip when an update comes through - if they even bother checking for updates. I haven't seen one yet look to check the current S/W version. They just re-flash. However, then MILs will be thrown at the dealership and you will then need to take it back to your shop to get it re-flashed probably for a nominal charge. You could ask for no S/W upgrades at the dealership, if they listen.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanB View Post
    Unfortunately the duster has a lot of sensors before and after the DPF and that is why the coding is required.
    Thanks for the info, what costs will I be looking at roughly if I do the DPF and EGR? Like I said before I'm not sure if we will be keeping the Duster but if you say they cheapish to maintain maybe we must carry on with her.

Thanks for the info, what costs will I be looking at roughly if I do the DPF and EGR? Like I said before I'm not sure if we will be keeping the Duster but if you say they cheapish to maintain maybe we must carry on with her.
    The last time I checked it was about R4500. There is a few shops around so you need to look for a reputable guy close to you.

I feel that I should add that I have modified many vehicles, but this one showed the most improvement. I intend keeping mine a lot longer.

I moved this post.
    Last edited by Yster1979; 2019/07/18 at 01:35 PM.

Hey guys, my diesel duster occasionally and intermittently - the diesel light comes on and it sounds and feels like i have lost a cylinder - glow plug stopped working. If you stop and turn the car off and on again - its fine. Its done this 3 times now - but at very random times.

Any idea what this could be?

Quote Originally Posted by roadhog View Post
    Hey guys, my diesel duster occasionally and intermittently - the diesel light comes on and it sounds and feels like i have lost a cylinder - glow plug stopped working. If you stop and turn the car off and on again - its fine. Its done this 3 times now - but at very random times.

Any idea what this could be?
    Can you display a pic of the diesel light? The only one I have indicates a low amount of fuel remaining. Perhaps you mean the engine light. There are two with the picture of an engine. The one without anything in the middle indicates problems with the DPF. The other one has a STOP in the middle, is accompanied by a beep and is telling you to stop the engine immediately.

The ECU can put the motor into limp mode if the error sufficiently warrants it. This would "feel" like you have lost a cylinder.

By glow plug I assume you mean idiot (warning) light or do you actually mean the glow plug (coiled wire warning light)? The latter one should only light up when starting the vehicle.

You can get "funnies" when the vehicle's battery needs replacing.

Has anyone else had any problems with their driver's window control? Mine will roll down, but not up.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    Has anyone else had any problems with their driver's window control? Mine will roll down, but not up.
    Normally the plastic of the switch wears out inside. Best to just get a replacement one.

I think it's more than just the plastics.

From the back, I numbered the connectors from top left, 1 to 5 for the top row and 6 to 10 for the bottom row, the 4 to 7 test shows continuity in the static test. It does show no continuity, like the back windows unit, when the switch is held down. However, unlike the back windows unit, it doesn't immediately return to show continuity like the back unit. It takes between seven to 11 seconds. This same delay is noticed in the static test showing continuity between 2 and 7. The continuity takes about 10 seconds to return after the switch is depressed. There are other differences in open / closed state between the front and rear window control units, but these could be due to the driver's window being only controlled by this panel, whereas the other three windows can also be controlled on their respective door panels as well.

Next I swopped front and rear connectors on the control panel - confirmed culprit is the control unit. The driver's window now works perfectly, but the rear window behind the driver is now faulty (rolls down, but not up).

Purchased part # P RE8200108269 today for R664.70 from dealership as they had it in stock and it is cheaper than https://www.shopee365.com/power-wind...wo-door-switch
    who gives a nice price on their website, but adds over four times that amount for "shipping and forwarding cost".

This is the same dealership that doesn't always stock the OEM oil for our vehicle, but has this part in stock. To me, this part is obviously a problem.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13