Macaneta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Macaneta

Question Macaneta

Hi all,

Anybody got some details on macaneta (tan n biki ) has anybody been here

I will be travelling in november for a friday to monday boys fishing weekend and dont know if we picked the right place....it is suspect cheap

I will be taking a rubberduck with and would like to know what the conditions are like for launching and storing and playing around

Any help will be appreciated

Hi Moz fan. Dont worry about the price you got. It really is cheap.
    Spent quite a few weekends there.
    Take the ferry accross and then drive straight into tan n biki.
    The owner of the lodge stays in Nelspruit ( Staffies is his name and he owns the Tracker franchise here )
    The rooms are all made from bamboo. Anton is a black mozambican guy that looks after the place and they all speak afrikaans.
    As for the fishing, well, the locals net every morning so shore angling is a waste of time. The rubber duck will be an excellent idea. The couta are wild.
    Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy
    Husain Mahomed
    079 742 5786
    [email protected]

'07 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D
    Mods - Redback Replacement Bumper, Safari Snorkel, Dastek Chip, Freeflow Exhaust, OME Suspension, Rockford Sound System
    '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    Mods - Non yet
    '09 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Mods -Too Many to mention

Thoughts Become Things

thanks Biscuit,

tx for the advice.....i heard there are problems loading a boat onto the trailer (too low) and do you know what the requirements are for taking my rubber there.

are there any resturants there with abit of a night life......how far is this place from the lagoon and ocean (beach)

tx in advance

100m to the beach.
    No hectic night life ther but theres a good restuarant to the right of tan n biki ( macaneta lodge ). I stayed there once. there are rondavels on the beach that cost R1000 per night for 4.
    Then theres Jays lodge to the left of tan n biki. It has a restuarant and pub and is a bit tricky to get there but one of the locals will stand on your running boards and give directions for a fee of a bic pen.
    If you can. it would be nice if you could take old clothes, pens and books and sweets for the kids there.
    No requirements as far as I know.
    Drive around before hand and find a good launch area.
    Enjoy
    Husain Mahomed
    079 742 5786
    [email protected]

Mods - Redback Replacement Bumper, Safari Snorkel, Dastek Chip, Freeflow Exhaust, OME Suspension, Rockford Sound System
    Mods - Non yet

Thoughts Become Things

thanks for the advice...how far is the lagoon

i always take old stuff since i can remember people really havent seen poverty until u go to moz

I made a mistake with info on tan n biki.
    Staffies owns Barcos de Macaneta which is right next to tan n biki.
    all other info is correct.
    the lagoon is about 1km to the right of tan n biki, at macaneta lodge
    Husain Mahomed
    079 742 5786
    [email protected]

Mods - Non yet

Thoughts Become Things

We went to Macaneta just after it opened, so this info is old.

There were a lot of kids hanging aroung, fighting etc (serious stuff with knives). The guy running the place did not seem worried about the place, but my wife and her friend refused to stay there ( no doors on the toilets etc. as well as feeling unsafe with the louts hanging around). We drove up the road to Jays, and had a good time. If you want to launch, Macaneta would be the spot.

But, as I said, this is old info.

let me ask this then is tan n biki the best to stay in macaneta

Hi Moz Fan
    Macaneta Lodge and Jays are about the best, but they are pricey.
    You really dont have to book in advance at Macaneta.
    My suggestion is to check out all the places there before booking in at tan n biki.
    Husain Mahomed
    079 742 5786
    [email protected]

Mods - Non yet

Thoughts Become Things

There is nothing wrong with staying at Tan 'n Biki. I've stayed there a few times and have had a ball everytime. It is just the quads that are a big problem there. But as I understand, quads have been banned in MOZ now. Jippy!!!!!!
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Call of Duty MW3
    Synergy 3" lift
    Metal Cloack Gamechanger Arms
    Fox 2.0
    Project4WD Bumpers
    DirtyLife Beadlocks
    37" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3

Default Macaneta

Hi All,
    It is amazing how misinformed people can spread the wrong information on a forum like this. For information on the camp: Tan-'n-Biki go to www.tanbiki.co.za

Tan-'n-Biki is at the moment one of the best camps on the Island and is although fairly priced, the best value for money you can get. (I know, I stayed there before I bought my own stand.) The owner is Lester Mouton, and can be reached on 082 8255597 or (Moz) 00258823885142. He stays mostly on the Island and manages the camp hands on, and not from a distance.

The issue about loading boats, trailers, caravans, revolves around the ferry that is the (only) way into/onto the Macaneta Pininsula. The tide determines the angle that your vehicle drives on to the ferry. Sometimes the aproach / departure angles are quite steep and causes the trailers to drag the rear end and even get stuck. The crew handles this sort of thing daily and will shove poles/ planks underneath so that your trailer can slide on or off. Trailers with high approach/departure angles are recommended but not crucial. (I fitted larger wheels to my Quad trailer and now I clear easily.)

Macaneta is 4X4 country and all other vehicles are being towed mostly, to their destinations. (depending on tyre size and drivers skill.)

545 km from Pta. Thus, the nearest sea for Gauteng and Mpumalanga.

Quads are allowed, but an attempt by camp owners to control this sometimes unruly crowd, is put into place. We want to save Macaneta from the tipical "South African in a foriegn country syndrome". Quad biking is strickly monitored and people who tresspass is severely fined.

a Quadbike in the normal sense of the word, travels with difficulty at slow speeds over the loose sand, so people with ATV's are better off.

Lagur do Mar is the other top rated camp on the island and has two well attended bar's, but that is about all you can expect of "night-life"

Launching into the surf is possible as well as from the river mouth.

Macaneta is a gem of a holiday destination that is still undiscovered by most. We want to keep it that way. !

Macaneta Fan (obviously)

Joenel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joenel For This Useful Post:

Hi Joenel

Thanks for the info on TANABIKI, we're going there in December. Just a few more questions if you don't mind.

1.Don't know if you fish, but if you do, how's the fishing in the lake?
    2.I inderstand there's a deepsea charter, do you think it's necasary to book in advance?
    3.Is there enough place to have some fun with the 4x4?

Thanks.

Hey there Joenel.
    Can you please tell me what info that I posted on macaneta was misleading.
    My posts are all in my own opinion and not misleading.
    I am also a frequent visitor to Macaneta.
    You enjoy staying at tan n biki and I enjoy staying at Macaneta Lodge with an aircon in my room.
    My apologies for " misleading anyone"
    Husain Mahomed
    079 742 5786
    [email protected]

Mods - Non yet

Thoughts Become Things

Default Tan-n-Biki

Hi Biscuit and LDC,

Biscuit don't take my comment personally, but I refer to your first response in this thread where you got confused between Barcos de Macaneta and Tan-n-Biki. Also to the fact that Jays and Macaneta Lodge was the recommended accommodation above T-n-B. Jays is struggeling to survive after being sold a couple of times and the investers leaving the manager Henry with no capital to maintain or improve this rather "rustic" lodge. Macaneta Lodge is very popular with the locals and but it is still in my opinion, not compareable with either Tan-n-Biki or Lagur do Mar.
    (have a beer on my tab next time you get to the bar at Lagur do Mar. )

LDC, I am not a fisherman, so I can not comment about fishing in the lake/river. It seems that fishing in the BIG dam is better because I can order from local fisherman whatever fish I want and get it within a day or two, fresh from the sea.

Deep sea charters are always on request, so it is not necesary to book in advance, local camp owners/managers can arrange this, - mostly the camp's own boats. Even excursions to Inhaca Island.

Places to play with you 4x4,,, well, yes. Most of the tracks are DEEP SAND. There is a nice 4x4 track leading north along the coastal vegetation belt between the Inkomazi river and the sea, and leads up for more than 70km. This is also the escape route if the ferry breaks down. Then there are several other tracks across marshland, but you need SERIOUS mud tyres to go on them. Then lastly, if it rains for more than two days, the mere fact of going to buy bread, beer, or whatever becomes a 4x4 challenge on its own. The road (5km's) between the ferry and the sand roads are build with clay/turf that locals dig out of the swamps next to the road, and if it rains,,,,,,,,,,,then you know why they made Cooper STT's and Bighorns and BFG M/T's and vehicles with front and rear difflocks, and Tractors.

See Ya'll in December

Joenel
    Silver Wrangler unltd Rubicon

Can only agree wrt Tan-'n-Biki and Lugar do Mar. Know "oom Jacques" well (owner of Lugar do Mar) Whenever you are at Macaneta a visit to the pub @LdM is a MUST.
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

Biscuit and Joenel seems you guys visit Mcaneta quite often i just whant to ask you what the safety issues are there. Is it quite safe with the locals there and can you for instance drive up the coast do some fishing and a picnic. Can you drive on the beach or is there a road or trac close to the beach that you can follow. I am also going in Desember and hope we see aech other.

Thanks

Hi.
    i'm going this weekend.
    I feel safer there then in my own town.
    Husain Mahomed
    079 742 5786
    [email protected]

Mods - Non yet

Thoughts Become Things

Thanks for the info guys. Hope to hear how your trip went Biscuit.

Default Safety at Macaneta

Quote Originally Posted by japiedc View Post
    Biscuit and Joenel seems you guys visit Mcaneta quite often i just whant to ask you what the safety issues are there. Is it quite safe with the locals there and can you for instance drive up the coast do some fishing and a picnic. Can you drive on the beach or is there a road or trac close to the beach that you can follow. I am also going in Desember and hope we see aech other.

Thanks

Hi,
    I feel like hussein ,safer there then in mid town Nelspruit, but you must remember you are in Africa. Don't leave things in your car that will tempt people into breaking in. Thats the kind of logic that you obviously apply in your day to day living as well. There is a 4x4 track going parallel to the beach for many kilometers so you can use that to reach different locations, beach areas etc.
    There is not a place on earth where you will not find thiefs, but there are no CRIMINALS on the island, like people who wil harm / hurt their victims, you will find PETTY thiefs, they steal money, food or clothes etc, because they are hungry, and jobless. Because the community on the island is rather seperated from the mainland, they and their "chiefs" are very committed to supporting the investors and people that come for holidays to Macaneta, because to them it means work oppertunities.
    During my very first stay on Macaneta, my youngest daughter forgot her handbag with purse and cellphone on one of the tables at Jay's Beach lodge. Before we were back at our overnight camp, the owner came to me and told me he had a phone call telling him one of the locals found the bag, we went back and found the bag with all the contents intact.
    On another case I was driving very slowly (bad road, towing a four quad trailer fully loaded) late evening and some local kids jumped on the back of the trailer without me realising it. At our camp we discovered later two gas bottles and a fishing rod was stolen. The very minute we made this discovery during off loading, my local hired hand's phone rang, someone had caught kids with my stuff, beat them into telling where they got it from, and then phoned my guy. I got all my stuff back. With that kind of attitude from the adults, I will be a Macaneta fan for a long time.

Back safely from Macaneta.
    We tayed at Tan n Biki and I was relly amazed.
    The chalets are well equiped with a double bed and 2 double bunk beds, a shower and toilet.
    You have your own kitchen outside with everything that you need, even a deep freezer so dont take cutlery with.
    The chalet sleeps 6 and cost R500.00 per night.
    The camp site costs R80 per person with a min of R250.
    There is 24 hour electricity and theres a sparkling swiming pool.
    So my opinion now is that tan n Biki is a yes to all.
    I did however take a drive to Macaneta lodge and compared the rooms.
    Macaneta lodge is overpriced with very small rondavels. R600 for 2 and R1200 for a 4 sleeper. The only advantage is the aircon.
    As far as the fishing is concerned, not even a nibble.
    I tried every bait presentation that you can think of, I did catch an 8kg couta with my wallet. It cost me R150. The nets were full of jellyfish.
    My next investment will be a kayak.
    Husain Mahomed
    079 742 5786
    [email protected]

Mods - Non yet

Thoughts Become Things

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Biscuit For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast