Camp Master's poor quality, help needed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Camp Master's poor quality, help needed!

Howzit guys,

We have a Camp Master Dome 500 tent that we have used maybe 5 times since we bought it about a year and a half ago.

Last time we used it the raincover zip broke. Today I put the tent up to ensure its clean etc. before we leave and the main tent zip broke.

We tossed the slips in the bin when we bought it thinking if you pay so much for the tent what can go wrong

Camp Master referred me to C&A concepts in Edenvale to have it repaired, the outside zip will cost R280 and still waiting to hear about the bigger inside zip.

Call it R600, to fix a problem I shouldn't be having with a 'new' tent.

Is this what it actually costs?
    Where else can I go?
    We are leaving 28 December and I'm worried most places close in a week and we are stuck.

Help needed please.

If it broke on first use , you can complain.

I think you are being unfair.

Things like zips wear out, and even quicker if not used properly.
    FORD Ranger
    Conqueror Courage

I have jackets etc with zips that have lasted 5+ years, these zips haven'
    t lasted 5 uses.

C&A Concepts says its a known problem for these zips to fail.

Have you had a tent zip replaced? If so, where did you have it done.

Good luck with this time of year (only know tent place in Pretoria) and hope the holiday is grand.

Anopther thing, a R1499 (https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-o...-tent-237802EA) tent isn't really so much for a tent. I bought my canvas tent for that price in 1997, and you know inflation.

Campmaster is cheap because the quality is not always grand. Its a hit and miss brand.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Good luck with this time of year (only know tent place in Pretoria) and hope the holiday is grand.

Anopther thing, a R1499 (https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-o...-tent-237802EA) tent isn't really so much for a tent. I bought my canvas tent for that price in 1997, and you know inflation.

Campmaster is cheap because the quality is not always grand. Its a hit and miss brand.
    Thanks supersunbird, I'm sure the holiday will be a treat!

R600 is an expensive fix for a R1500 tent, but I do see what you mean about the tent itself not being that expensive as compared to whats just come up on google.

C&A concepts said they can have it fixed before we go so I will bite the bullet and have it done.

There is no problem with the rest of the tents quality, only the zips.

Camp master is actually quite good quality.
    I have the Lagooner diner iv which is now close to 10 years old and no problems with the zips.
    Only thing that has started to tear is the netting.
    Our tent has been through Gail force winds, hail, and heavy rain with no leaks or problems.
    Having said that the quality of products today are not the same as they were years ago.
    Regards
    Darren
    Jeep all the way
    2000 jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 diesel
    30" BFG a/t
    HM Spare Wheel Carrier
    HM rock sliders
    Snorkel
    2 inch lift.( shackles rear and longer coil springs up front)
    Pro Comp shocks all round

Hi Miks, I had a similar problem on an old 2man tent, it is quite difficult to stitch the thin material to the zip.For me it was easy to upgrade to a bigger tent. Still have the broken one for when I need parts. Only problem I have had with my new tent, which is 4 years old, is that a few poles broke.

2010 Suzuki Jimny _Charcoal _Led interior lights _DIY Parcel shelf _DIY Plywood loading board
    _Campmaster loading bars _DIY Awning_DIY Spotlight brackets with LED Lights _Rocksliders_ 50 mm suspension lift with Gabriel Safari HDP Shocks

_Lots of fun

On the list:
    _Xenon kit
    _Aux Battery + Dual charging system
    _Undies
    _Replacement bumper

Toss it like I did and buy a Tentco .. for life

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    Toss it like I did and buy a Tentco .. for life

+1.

Best advice so far...Tentco, Howling Moon, Oztent. All good and they won't tell you to zip it when you bring bad workmanship to their attention.

For zips specify YKK heavy duty - last a lifetime!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for the help guys!

Tent went in today for zip repairs at C&A Concepts for a YKK Heavy Duty zip as per recommendation.

They didn't seem phased by the tent being thin so I assume they have done lots of these before and know what to do.

Will post photos when done so you guys can see

Couple of years ago my sister bought a Campmaster tent for a December camping holliday, it whent wrong and January she was back at Makro to get her money back. Next holiday same story buy a Campmaster tent, it broke and after the holiday back to Makro. I think she exchanged 3 tents like this and eventually stopped going back for Campmaster.

Over the years we have had a couple of Campmaster tents for the kids. Other than wear and tear never had an issue. After our camping gear got stolen we decided to buy two Oztrail tents. After three trips both of these have been dropped in the bin at the campsite and I am back to Campmaster.

The Oztrail zips disintegrate after a couple of trips.

Goedkoop is duur koop: CampMaster make rubbish tents. Their stitching tears, the mozzie nets rip, their zips fail etc etc. But I use them because they are so cheap - you can buy a tent that is fit for purpose for different trips. When I flew into Zambia to do a four week trip I bought a R450 CM tent which lasted the duration of the trip, then got tossed because it fell apart at the end of the trip. Ditto for a recent Namibia trip. R450 is one night's camping fees in some places. For long term overland camping trips I have a mix of Tentco, Cape Union Mart and a couple of other tents. For short term, CampMaster does the job. Personally, I would not replace the zip - a heavy duty YKK zip is worth a lot more than a CM tent.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/12/09 at 10:39 PM.

Zips can be replaced on nylon tents, but it will cost because a decent zipper (YKK)is not cheap and labour to unpick and restitch the new one in isn't 20 minutes work.

We have been through nylon tents starting out with Campmaster, then eventually Nat instinct turbo tents ,
    We still have our original Campmaster tent from '98 which we loan out to kids etc, that era quality is certainly not the Campmaster of today, the zips , ground sheet and mossie netting is just grossly poor quality.

Even our Turbo tent is showing age, we now use a Campmor canvas tent for long stay overs and keep the Turbo tent for 2-3 day weekends.

If you camp more than 3 times a year consider going rip stop nylon , or the lighter 200-330 gram rip stop canvas tent. (Oztent, Howlingmoon, Tentco)

For really long lasting the Ripstop 400 gram canvas will last forever (Campmor).

In the long run I wished I had joined this forum years ago for the advice and bought canvas in the beginning, in bad weather it really makes a difference when you see all the Makro tents destroyed in gale force winds.

Guys,

Just a very general friendly comment........
    We get lots of calls daily to repair broken zips on all these " chinese" manufactured tents. There is a reason why a tent only cost R600....because its made from the cheapest materials on earth !!!!!! In this case most local canvas businesses like us use YKK zips and we all are faced with this challenge daily to try and keep repair costs down. From a business point of view why should we do this work for free.....the YKK zip in some cases cost more than half the price of the tent. Then there is the labour...It takes about 2 hrs to remove and old zip and re stitch a new zip into a nylon dome tent...what do you think labour cost will be for this ??....so if a local canvas shop is not to "forthcoming" with repair costs keep this in mind...why should a shop that never sold the item and benefitted from the initial profit of the sale now waste their time and money on trying to do a cheap repair.....a locally manufactured equivalent tent to a R600 cheapo should probably cost R3,500...then you will never have any comebacks....makes one think about supporting local businesses....oh yes, soon those cheap chinese imports will not be so cheap anymore as the Rand plummets and we start exporting our quality stuff overseas....LOL :-)
    Last edited by AllOutdoors; 2015/12/14 at 06:23 AM.
    2009 D3 V8 SE - Family car, holiday and weekends
    2009 Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 GLX - Mom's Taxi
    2001 Ford Ranger 2.5 D/C - My Car

2007 D3 TDV6 S - Family car, holiday and weekends ( RELUCTANTLY SOLD )

To compare Oztrail to Campmaster ito quality?

[QUOTE=Dave Faddel]

Toss it like I did and buy a Tentco .. for life[QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MayorGoodman View Post

+1.

Best advice so far...Tentco, Howling Moon, Oztent. All good and they won't tell you to zip it when you bring bad workmanship to their attention.
    Yup, I agree.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Default Camp Master

I have camp master items which have exceeded their value expectations.

You can get most if not all spares for any Camp Master products no longer covered by warranty.
    E-mail [email protected], [email protected], or
    Uni-Source(Pty) Ltd
    Tel: (011) 615-6082

Sorry to hear about your tents.
    I went to C&A concepts in Edenvale and they were good but it took 3 weeks for the new sleeves we did on our dome tents due to waiting period. Half an hours labor, but still had to wait in the que.

Have them for sale, you can PM me if you need more info. They are Howling Moon tents.
    Have to say was impressed with C&A's workmanship if you are willing to wait for the repair.
    Last edited by Nick (Nexus); 2015/12/14 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the tent name.
    Everywhere is close when you own a 4x4 - it's just about that fuel cost...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast