Kaokoveld route and other advice please

Question Kaokoveld route and other advice please

I am planning a trip to the Kaokoveld in Jan 2016.

I have a few objectives I'd like to achieve:-

1) Spend 2 night in Etosha
    2) Photograph the Cinderella Waxbill and find the Angolan Cave Chat
    3) To achieve the above a minimum of one night at Kunene River Lodge
    4) See Epupa Falls
    5) Traverse van Zyl's Pass
    6) Visit to Marble Mine
    7) A wish rather than objective is see the desert elephants and lions, I'd like to put myself in the best place to have a chance at this
    8/ Accomplish all this in 10 days

My intended route from Swakop, Etosha, Oshakati, Ruacana, Epupa, van Zyl's, Marble Mine, Orupembe via D3707, Sesfontein, Warmquelle, Palmwag, Otjikondo, Outjo then to Windhoek.

The kml file is here :- https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...oQ&usp=sharing

I have driven the Northern parts as far as Kunene River Lodge many times but never in the NW parts. I would appreciate advice on the times between various landmarks, places to camp, diesel purchases, permits required and where to obtain them, opinions on the chosen route (bearing in mind that I am hoping to spot elephant and lion) and any advice you may think is important..

Many thanks in advance.

Shaun
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good places for seeing the desert elephants are these.

Driving down one of those rivers:
    Hoaruiseb at purros,
    Hoanib.
    Huab
    Ugab.

In the rainy season some of those rivers can become dangerous. (flash floods)

Another good place is the Palemwag lodge.

However to see lions is difficult.

You could contact these Restcamps to find out more.
    About where the elephants are at the time you visit the area.

Purros lodge

Palemwag They can tell you about their concession area that includes the Hoanib.

Camp Xaragou and Twifelfontein lodge.
    They know about the Huab river.

Lastly White lady lodge in uis. They can give you Info about the Ugab river.
    Last edited by Creative25; 2015/12/13 at 08:47 PM.

Just bear in mind that you will be in the rainy season - the Hoanib has already come down unexpectedly - be prepared to change your plans as you go. Just because a river is dry today, and you haven't seen any rain, it could still be a raging torrent in just a few hours if rain fell in the catchment area yesterday.

Chris

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

The road between Puros and Sesfontein is terrible, rather take one of the tracks. If any flow in the rivers it would be just a flash. Would be passable already. No rain since Friday.
    Last edited by JLK; 2015/12/14 at 05:39 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    The road between Puros and Sesfontein is terrible, rather take one of the tracks. If any flow in the rivers it would be just a flash. Would be passable already. No rain since Friday.
    We drove that road (D3707) a couple of weeks ago, and it has been graded fairly recently - not great, but a heck of a lot better than it used to be. The bit on to Orupembe, is a different story!

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Card; 2015/12/14 at 09:00 PM.

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.

A place for the desert elephants and lions is Puros where you can spend a half day or a day with a local guide in your own car to have better chance.
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre77N View Post
    A place for the desert elephants and lions is Puros where you can spend a half day or a day with a local guide in your own car to have better chance.
    The lions have not returned to the hoarusib after the last pride was poisoned. The elephants are also less in evidence, but this may be a consequence of the prolonged draught. We did see evidence of them around Leylands Drift a few weeks ago.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    Just bear in mind that you will be in the rainy season - the Hoanib has already come down unexpectedly - be prepared to change your plans as you go. Just because a river is dry today, and you haven't seen any rain, it could still be a raging torrent in just a few hours if rain fell in the catchment area yesterday.

Chris
    Very true.
    I have seen those rivers travel between 5 and 8 Km per hour. So if it rains 100km upstream then it takes between 12 and 20 hours for the water to reach where you are.

Maybe if you want to go down one of these rivers, it is better to take a guided tour on these areas with the car of the lodge they know exactly when it is risky and when not.

Also you have to consider the Hoaruiseb. If that river flows it can keep you waiting for some time. At Otjiuu I know op people waiting for more than 24 hours. At purros I heard of people waiting for three days. So you should have somethings you can do in the area if the rivers are flowing and make sure you have enough time in case you have to wait.

Best Regards:
    Ueli & Ndatu

Contact Johan Snyman (on the forum) for expert advice.
    Not sure what van Zyl's pass would be like in Summer but we did that (solo) in September 2013 with no problems.

Almost certain to find elephants at Puros/Puros Canyon and Palmwag as mentioned above.

Deon
    ZS1AFU

Please don't underestimate the risk of flooding rivers: I have seen walls of water two metres high coming down those dry river beds when there has been no rain in the area - the rain was 60km upstream. Be very aware of weather conditions in the area.

A few years ago we were camped on the Kunene near Syncro Camp, where me met up with Garth Owen-Smith, over a mug of tea, he pointed out some distant lightning in Angola. He suggested that we should head south early, which we did. We just made it to Sesfontein before the rivers came down.
    Back in Windhoek we met up with Koos Vervey, who left Syncro a few hours after us. He got his truck stuck in two rivers and it took him a week to get to Windhoek.
    So - don't underestimate the rivers.

Chris

February, March and even to April is the raining season there, January is still in the beginning of the raining season.
    Johan Kriel

As I am typing im having brunch at fort sesfontein. The last weeks saw us travelling from Ruacana along the Kunune to Epupa, down Van Zyls, up Marienfluss,over Ondau mountain, up hartmans to Sera Caferma, down via groen, oranje, blou and rooi drums to marble mine, down khumib and hoarusib to Puros, further down the hoarusib to puros poort (this part was very wet and took us 2 days to do 15km luckily with a defender that we found stuck just outside puros) then over gainas vlaktes and up in the hoanib to fort sesfontein.

Your experience perfectly illustrates why you should be very cautious when travelling in the rain season - even during the early "small" rains.
    Many people don't realise that the water table can rise under the rivers, before it shows on the surface - if the ground starts to feel "wobbly" under foot, get out of the river.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Card; 2015/12/19 at 01:06 AM.