Serval vs Miskruier - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    The pop up roof is nice but how do you angle your solar panel to get optimal sun? We sometimes spend 2 weeks with no electricity, like we did in Mabua recently. Depending on where you camp, having a loose panel can be a risk when leaving the campsite.

I take it you are saying that the geyser system on the Serval is included whereas with Bush Lapa it is optional because you can order your Bush Lapa with fully fitted geyser system with hot and cold water taps and soon to come, fixed shower cubicle setup.

We have all the usual luxuries but we are not utilising all the space in our Miskruier. Do you have the Serval's version of the wing? How does it handle heavy rain and wind?

Hi Michael
    Going through you previous posted pictures something that reminded me is your wash up is something you have to cart around as an extra where on the Serval and all of the other Afrispoor vans is combined with the kitchen including hot and cold water on tap. What you have to do with the BL is exactly what I had to do with my Comfort van it is another thing you have to pack out at setup and another thing you have to pack up at breakdown and then you have to allocate space.
    I opted for a BunduTec awning which is 340 deg and is coated with the silver reflective material so it is always cool. I had the configuration on my Comfort van as well. 2.9 m extension under awning on the front, side and back.
    My Cheetah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0136.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	378461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0133.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	378462  

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"

Well, we both still have 2 washing basins to pack away . The alu frame for the double basins fit nicely under the permanently fixed hot and cold taps at the rear of the Bush Lapa. The alu frame weighs nothing and takes up very little pace in the nosecone.

Nice looking van you have there .
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Default Afrispoor

Quote Originally Posted by grobbepj View Post
    Do you get the serval in a 4 sleeper? (Or is it a 4 sleeper)?
    I am not 100% sure of all the Afrispoor names, so don't quote me!

1. Serval - 2 sleeper - foldout front bed - back entrance
    2. Buffel - 2 Sleeper - foldout side bed - back entrance
    3. Cougar - 4 sleeper - foldout front & side bed - back entrance
    4. Cheetah (new) I do not know all the variants available?
    Mine: 2 sleeper - foldout front bed, no bar to climb under to get into bed, bigger popup roof - side entrance
    Heard of: 2 sleeper - foldout side bed, no bar to climb under to get into bed, bigger popup roof - side entrance
    Do not know if you can get a 4 sleeper Cheetah??

------------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 DCI 4x4 SE A/T
    2016 Afrispoor "Cheetah"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Michael

Don't have solar panels so have not had to angle it yet but would prefer shade to camp in anyway if available. So when I eventually get solar panels will have to risk the loose panels but until then the pop-up roof works for us.

I don't have the "wing" but the normal awning.

You can get the Cheetah in 4 sleeper set-up

Well, we both still have 2 washing basins to pack away . The alu frame for the double basins fit nicely under the permanently fixed hot and cold taps at the rear of the Bush Lapa. The alu frame weighs nothing and takes up very little pace in the nosecone.

Nice looking van you have there .

Thank you.
    My frame folds away with the kitchen. Have you seen the new wash bowls and plate racks. Well they squash flat like a tray and when you want to use them you just pop them out. The exact same dimensions as the Addis range.
    At the rear of my van I have four boxes and a firewood rack. one of the two large boxes is my mini bar fully stocked, the other three are storage boxes which one is a tool box. That is my section of the van and the rest is swambo' s.

Take Care
    Peter Street

Quote Originally Posted by mve100 View Post
    You can get the Cheetah in 4 sleeper set-up

Thanks. i need to wait for the beeld show to come around to check them out again. Last question Afrispoor only Durban based? That will be a real letdown for me personally...just too far. (Dammit)

The pop up roof is nice but how do you angle your solar panel to get optimal sun? We sometimes spend 2 weeks with no electricity, like we did in Mabua recently. Depending on where you camp, having a loose panel can be a risk when leaving the campsite.
    Out of interest do you move the van as the sun moves and do you park it in the sun for the entire time??

Im very interested in the Afrispoor but havent seen either yet (aprt from on the net)
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

You know you're dealing with two very good models when the convenience of the basin set-up comes into the argument.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Out of interest do you move the van as the sun moves and do you park it in the sun for the entire time??

Im very interested in the Afrispoor but havent seen either yet (aprt from on the net)
    No moving required. Just park the van with the panel facing north. The angle on the roof is already correct. I have long since made peace with parking in the sun. Even if it was not for the panel, I would still do it. The damage caused by bird droppings and tree gum and certain seeds on tents, just does not make it worthwhile in my opinion. Been there, done that...

We set up our "kuier" area in the shade if shade is available. The kitchen area is always in the shade of the wing and is also on the opposite side of the sun. I do not do the afternoon nap thing, life's too short so I only enter the van at night when things cool down .
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2015/11/30 at 01:24 PM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    You know you're dealing with two very good models when the convenience of the basin set-up comes into the argument.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

You position the panel north so you get sun from East to West. I complement the lack of sun due to shade etc with a portable panel. Big benefit on the roof is charging on the go.
    2010 Defender Puma 110
    Bushlapa Boskriek B472

No moving required. Just park the van with the panel facing north. The angle on the roof is already correct. I have long since made peace with parking in the sun. Even if it was not for the panel, I would still do it. The damage caused by bird droppings and tree gum and certain seeds on tents, just does not make it worthwhile in my opinion. Been there, done that...

We set up our "kuier" area in the shade if shade is available. The kitchen area is always in the shade of the wing and is also on the opposite side of the sun. I do not do the afternoon nap thing, life's too short so I only enter the van at night when things cool down .
    OK interesting. I also find portable panels easiest especially when camping in Forests....

You bring up a good point about bird droppings and sap which ive never thought about while owning the Xplorer's. That is a big negative with these types of trailers/caravans with canvas roofs.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2015/11/30 at 01:31 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

It would be nice to get a price list of the Afrispoor vans and compare to BL.....but this is very difficult.

I personally prefer the BL as it is much simpler in design and less draws,sliders etc. Afrispoor looked like it was very complicated(and yes Tony I did look at one quite extensively and this is where I noticed some quality issues as well). I also noticed that the awning on the Afrispoor we looked at was not as nice as the Bushwing from BL. There was a lot of sag and prefer not to sukkel in rain after owning an Echo 3 and having major rain problems.

I prefer the less is more principle and although the Afrispoor is very well designed and space utilisation is better, in my opinion that is where the comparison ends. To me, camping should be easy and straightforward. The more draws and nooks and crannies for packing, the more stuff you take with,the more you need to pack and unpack etc.

I prefer the fact that I have a removable double wash bracket, and am fitting a bracket to the storage box and will t-in hot and cold water directly from the geyser as per the Ratel. So I will have hot and cold water at the back and the side, plus shower set up on opposite side.

I also believe the BL is lighter than the Afrispoor and easier to tow, does anyone have specs on the Afrispoor?

Both are great vans, so no matter what you choose it comes down to personal preference.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Default Afrispoor

Quote Originally Posted by grobbepj View Post
    Thanks. i need to wait for the beeld show to come around to check them out again. Last question Afrispoor only Durban based? That will be a real letdown for me personally...just too far. (Dammit)
    There is talk about Afrispoor opening a Jnb branch, the last I heard it was still only talk!!

P.S. Just think how far you will have to drive to the Bushlapa factory
    Last edited by culltony; 2015/11/30 at 02:35 PM. Reason: P.S Added

------------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 DCI 4x4 SE A/T
    2016 Afrispoor "Cheetah"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by culltony View Post
    There is talk about Afrispoor opening a Jnb branch, the last I heard it was still only talk!!

BL have a service centre in PTA....
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by culltony View Post

The only reason I am considering bush lapa is since they opened a branch in Pretoria. Prefer being "close" to a dealer. Had my mind made up on a imagine comfortvan and then they pulled the pta stunt...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    BL have a service centre in PTA....

Afrispoor has an agent and service centre in Benoni (Abrie)

Take Care
    Peter Street

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    But I don't need my passport to go to pta😂

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Can you view a setup van there?

At BL pta they have a fully set up Miskruier. Nice to check and double check.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast