2002 Mercedes-Benz C270 CDI info

Default 2002 Mercedes-Benz C270 CDI info

Good day all,
    I am trying to find out what the feeling is with regards to the vehicle? Good on fuel? How reliable are they? Any idea on how much they are worth with about 114k km on the odo?
    I have so far only heard good things. Anything to check for before buying?

Thanks alot for any info in advanced
    2006 Ford Ranger 4000 V6 - Sold
    1990 Honda Ballade 160i - Sold
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 double cab
    Built Ford Tough.

I spoke to a guy the other day who owns one, he's very happy with it, good on fuel, powerful and reliable. His one is on 200 000 km and he had no problems to date. Just to give you an idea on value, a local used car dealer had one (think it's sold now) for R99000, 2004 C 270 cdi, Avantgarde with Sports pack. I don't know what km it had done.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
    As far as I can gather they have lost most of their value, hence me buying it hahaha.
    Then on the problems list I see on the overseas models they had issues with the injector o rings which don't seal properly? I have no idea on how to check that?
    Then the usual sensors giving people an up hill battle.
    I can get one at a decent price so I think I'm going to do it. It will be a nice car to keep for a while as I'm not planing on upgrading it soon...
    Built Ford Tough.

Search in the Jeep section. Loads of info in there, as the 2.7 CRD Grand Cherokee from about"99 to "04 used the same engine and gearbox.
    Its easy to see if the injectors has started leaking, there will be a huge black mess on top of the engine

They also had an issue with the glowplugs (IIRC) sooting up and basically amalgamating with the head or some such.

A quick Google search will tell you what's what.

That said, spent a lot of time in one and it is one of my favourite cars of all time. The W203 also seems to age rather well and for some reason I prefer the earlier pre-facelift cars. If the price is reasonable, go for it.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

I owned a 2004 C270 and it was great. I sold it when it had about 170 000 km on the clock and the reason was that the gearbox kicked out of gear under heavy acceleration. It was incredibly good on fuel - open road at 120 was about 6 l/km and town about 8 - 9 depending on acceleration. It was more comfortable than the newer mercs. Good car.
    Greg
    Pajero DiD Gen 3
    Got: OME, LR Fuel Tanks, Dual Batteries, Winch, Caska System, Thule rails, Lynx bash plates, Lynx Bumper,
    Want: Rock Sliders, lots of money...

Thanks a lot for all the info.
    Did a search on the glow plug issue and found they indeed have a tendency to fuse to the head and then snap the glow plug. As far as I can see they remove the head to make the removal and re-installation of the glow plugs easier.
    If it does need replacing and the glow plug breaks off it shouldn't be too difficult to just drill the old one out and clean the threads. Or just give it in at a engineering shop for that.
    I just need to wait another month about before I will know if I can buy the car.
    I really hope I can because it will be an awesome car to own and drive for the long run.
    Thanks again on everyones input, it is greatly appreciated.
    Built Ford Tough.

I looked at these as well and found the biggest single issue that is stupidly expensive is the steering system

loads of issues around the power steering pump or the steering rack
    if it leaks or starts to leak your wallet leaks at a stupid price

make sure the steering system is 10000%
    everything else is handleable and in line with a vehicle of that age / mileage / original purchase cost but the steering system issues ..............
    sheweeeeeeee
    if it has a steering issue offer half the asking price - if the owner is unaware let them get a quote to fix - they will take your 50% offer
    you can diy but be prepared to swear a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Greg DiD View Post
    I owned a 2004 C270 and it was great. I sold it when it had about 170 000 km on the clock and the reason was that the gearbox kicked out of gear under heavy acceleration. It was incredibly good on fuel - open road at 120 was about 6 l/km and town about 8 - 9 depending on acceleration. It was more comfortable than the newer mercs. Good car.
    One thing with this gearbox performance is the oil quality. Mercedes originally bought this 722.6 gearbox out as "sealed for life" but reality is that they need an oil change every 60k km. I suspect this was never done to yours and so might be the culprit to your poor shifting performance.

One thing is they they often weren't fitted with a oil dipstick due to the "sealed for life" but you can buy a dipstick from the dealers as well as the oil. Make sure you use the correct oil as this is critical to performance. Oils are very reasonable from the dealers most times (and example full synthetic engine oil for 229.5 spec is <R250 incl VAT for 5l and oil filters are often cheaper than Midas).

Merc C 270 cdi its a great car , my wife had a 2001 she loved it , its a great and powerfull car

The manual is better , the auto tends to give problem with the gearbox
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    I looked at these as well and found the biggest single issue that is stupidly expensive is the steering system

loads of issues around the power steering pump or the steering rack
    if it leaks or starts to leak your wallet leaks at a stupid price

make sure the steering system is 10000%
    everything else is handleable and in line with a vehicle of that age / mileage / original purchase cost but the steering system issues ..............
    sheweeeeeeee
    if it has a steering issue offer half the asking price - if the owner is unaware let them get a quote to fix - they will take your 50% offer
    you can diy but be prepared to swear a lot

I rebuilt my Mom's C200's steering & suspension system.

After-market components are readily available, and are no more expensive that most other makes,

eg LUK steering pump was R2100-00
    Rack was re-conditioned for R3500-00 (seals, boots and shaft polishing)

Control arms, bushes etc were not expensive.

Shock absorbers seem to last forever.
    Last edited by 4eJunior; 2015/11/30 at 10:20 AM.

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. ..... and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
    - '