A couple of extras: Wheels and Electronics

Default A couple of extras: Wheels and Electronics

Hey guys,
    I'm finally sorting out my busted Jeep, but now I've realised that I'm going to be spending a lot less on it than I originally planned. That means I get to buy some other toys for it though!

I was thinking of the following:
    Black box - my friends Defender 90 has a black box in it that gives you stats on all your vitals - where can one get this, and get it installed? I'm terrified of over heating at the moment.

Tyres/Wheels:
    I want to go a bit bigger - I have the stock Bridgestone Dueler A/T on but they are almost shot to hell, I'd like to maybe go to 30" - although I do have the spare Dueler tyre that has never been used before which could potentially save me about R1500.
    What size do I ask for at the tyre shop if I want to go to 30"? Do I need to upgrade the rims as well then? I want to go for black ones... hmm sexy black
    Tyres I'm thinking of going for:
    Dueler
    BFG's
    Mickey Thomson
    Cooper STT
    Any suggestions here? I've been told the BFG's won't fit on my current rims. My current tyres are 235/75/15. What can I fit on there?
    Do I need to make any gear ratio adjustments when I change the tyres sizes?

Spacers:
    If I understand correctly, spacers push your wheel base a little bit wider - i.e. the wheels protrude a bit further out on the left and right hand side of the car. How big of a mission is this, and where can I get it done? Costs involved?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

Thanks Roadhawg, do you know where I can get one of these in Cape Town?

Uno, if you like the black wheels and would like a little bit of wider stance, have look at Changa's Jeep. IIRC he got some pro white rims and had them painted or powder coated black. They are 7" wide which is the same as the standard Jeep rims and perfect for 30" tyres. A set of these rims would also work out much cheaper than a set of wheel spacers. Wish they were available in 8" width then I would have bought some too!

Wrt the tyres, also have a look at the Maxxis Bighorns, aparently it's a great tyre at a great price.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    IIRC he got some pro white rims and had them painted or powder coated black. They are 7" wide which is the same as the standard Jeep rims and perfect for 30" tyres. A set of these rims would also work out much cheaper than a set of wheel spacers.
    True story!

I had my rims sand blasted and powder coated black. 15 x 7" with 0 degree offset. Depending on your lift, good for (at least) 31x10.5 tyres with little or no rubbing. A very cost effective solution - The Pro whites were about R1K for 5 - A damn sight chaper han decent spacers.

I am running Kuhmos, but agree with Gorman, the ighorns look like a compelling buy. Price KL71's (and perhaps 834's) against the Maxxis and Coopers and make a decision.

Andre
    Last edited by Changa Bulanga; 2008/09/11 at 09:44 PM.
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

I think that decent offroad tyres make a huge difference to the looks and offroad performance of the vehicle.
    The tyre choice all comes down to price and personal preference. There are lots of debates about tyre choice, I like a good set of mud terrain style tyres, I like the idea that my Jeep looks ready to go off road at any time.
    I think that 30" tyres are about the same size as a 245/70/15 tyre.

Thing with all 4x4's is you never reach the end, there are always more accessories and modifications that you will want to fit

Have you thought about a lift and 31" tyres?

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

I've heard that it isn't a good idea to fit muds if you aren't going to be using them for that much. I do like their look though!

Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at the powder coating option, got a number perhaps?

Thanks!