Fiat FullBack coming to Africa - Page 9

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Fiat FullBack coming to Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    Btw.. I think those prices exclude Vat...
    Or
    Their sales people are really stupid..

I test drive a 4x4..

This is the quotation I received:

And the guy kept asking me questions on how stuff worked (seriously Fiat, train your staff).. Then his manager kept telling me that my Triton looks much tougher, maybe I should keep it..

Lol

I agreed..

Attachment 409839
    Shocking. Even wrong info (all stated as 4x2). Was hoping for affordability and great service regarding the Fullback, given that we're experiencing a bakkie war.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    Btw.. I think those prices exclude Vat...
    Or
    Their sales people are really stupid..

I test drive a 4x4..

This is the quotation I received:

And the guy kept asking me questions on how stuff worked (seriously Fiat, train your staff).. Then his manager kept telling me that my Triton looks much tougher, maybe I should keep it..

Lol

I agreed..

Attachment 409839
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Shocking. Even wrong info (all stated as 4x2). Was hoping for affordability and great service regarding the Fullback, given that we're experiencing a bakkie war.
    Don't confuse idiot salespeople with poor products - or poor service for that matter. once you've paid up they couldn't give toss about your stories. It's the workshop people you need to worry about.

By the same token, don't confuse good pre sales service with a good product either.

Personally, I'd go back to that dealer and get hold of the dealer principle and ask him why he employs morons, and could he get his replacement to call you.

The dealer principle should have a meltdown over that .

from the website

http://www.fiatprofessional.co.za/fiat-pricelist.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 12.13.42 PM.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	409846
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/07/09 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Don't confuse idiot salespeople with poor products - or poor service for that matter. once you've paid up they couldn't give toss about your stories. It's the workshop people you need to worry about.

By the same token, don't confuse good pre sales service with a good product either.

Personally, I'd go back to that dealer and get hold of the dealer principle and ask him why he employs morons, and could he get his replacement to call you.

The dealer principle should have a meltdown over that .

from the website

http://www.fiatprofessional.co.za/fiat-pricelist.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 12.13.42 PM.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	409846
    True that. Seems like the poephol sales guy added 14% for VAT over and above the all inclusive price. I'd like to take a Fully for a test drive as I think I'd like it...

I don't quite get the Hoo Haa over the Fullback.

It's a re-badged next gen Triton with the current gen 2.5 motor.
    Strangely, in the UK it comes with the new 2.4 motor?

I can't understand why they launched it. SA is dominated by 3 or4 bakkies & the rest are 'also ran's...
    Even the mighty VW with their very accomplished Amarok has failed to make inroads.

So Fiat decided to come in below the big boys & decided to compete on price.

But the Chinese & Indians are already doing that.

So to me this whole Fullback idea seems silly.

You can get, for R50 000 less, a Foton Tunland which has a Cummins designed motor & a rear Dana diff.
    The Tunland is longer (by 105mm) Wider (by 65mm) & higher (by 80mm).
    It also has higher ground clearance (by 15mm).
    The Tunland is Hilux/Ranger/Navara/KB sized.

The only areas where the Fiat beats the Tunland is power (up 10kW) Torque (up 60Nm) & the Fiat has 17" rims vs the 16" on the Tunland.

Both Foton & Fiat have a miserly 35 dealerships (Ford has 123 & Toyota nearly 200)

The Fiat Fullback is too small, too poorly specc'ed, too pricey & launched by a manufacturer with a less than sterling image in SA.

I do not think it will outsell the Amarok.

It's sales will also drop if & when the real Triton is launched.

But, having said that, if you buy one, you should have a pleasant & affordable driving experience.
    Just make sure you keep it for a long time - resale should be horrible...
    Last edited by Mad Manny; 2016/07/09 at 01:26 PM.

Many I think sales of 70 units is good for its first half a month.

It could beat the amarok in sales.

Well any extra choices are good because I think Mazda, triton and even amarok have all but given up on making an impression.

So they won't outsell the top three but cause a stir among the also rans.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post

I can't understand why they launched it. SA is dominated by 3 or4 bakkies & the rest are 'also ran's...
    Even the mighty VW with their very accomplished Amarok has failed to make inroads.

You can get, for R50 000 less, a Foton Tunland which has a Cummins designed motor & a rear Dana diff.

The only areas where the Fiat beats the Tunland is power (up 10kW) Torque (up 60Nm) & the Fiat has 17" rims vs the 16" on the Tunland.

Both Foton & Fiat have a miserly 35 dealerships (Ford has 123 & Toyota nearly 200)

The Fiat Fullback is too small, too poorly specc'ed, too pricey & launched by a manufacturer with a less than sterling image in SA.

But, having said that, if you buy one, you should have a pleasant & affordable driving experience.
    Lets compare the two again after 250'000km.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Lets compare the two again after 250'000km.
    Which 2, Foton and Fiat?

too poorly specced and too pricy?

huh?

did you read the other posts?

It is a fully specced top of the range new generation bakkie.

It has ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control , front and side Airbags and all the other safety goodees (unlike the Chinese versions)

It's a 4 star Euro NCAP - not sure why it lost the last star, but it seems to be the BS stuff like pedestrian safety, Toyota, interestingly , have not put the Hilux forward for Euro NCAP.

I can't say whether the Foton Tunland would make an NCAP test, nor can I find it on the site.

It also has (as standard on the 4x4 Twin cab) all the usual bells and whistles, plus the Nav/sound system, rubberised load bin, Electric seats, leather, and the body and interior is very good quality in general.

The new shape body is considerably larger than the old one, and is in the mid size pick up category now.

I would say that , to compare it to the Foton for 50k less is a pretty fair comparison though.

If you were buying a twin cab for personal use, I'm pretty sure you'd add in a decent Hifi and possibly NAV system, rubberise the load bin and at least add some seat covers over the cloth. say... 50k of extras before you can drive it off? Plus, you'd have to pay for your services as you go with the Foton , the Fullback has a 5 year/100 000km service plan. so, by the time you've got a Foton you can live with, it's the same price, but is still made from recycled tin foil and doesn't have any kind of nicety about it.

these are all things I would consider when comparing the 2.

sure, it has the old generation motor and box, and I presume, the weeny 1,9:1 Low Range ratio. but this is not actually a bad motor - it's modern,clean, powerful and well sorted - the Cummins motor is superb of course - but it's a bit older and clunkier.

I personally think the 50k over the Foton gets you an AWFUL lot of value. and have you LOOKED at the Foton? Would you want that in your driveway? If it was a chick you'd gnaw your arm off rather than wake it up....

but, lets look at the other options.

for 70k extra you could get the new HiLux D4D manual twin cab. I haven't driven the new motor (as the Toyota salespeople are of the opinion that if you need to drive one before buying one, you aren't one of the sheeple they sell to) but I do quite like the old one, and can only imagine the new one is better. hopefully they have finally ditched the 4 speed auto box along with the tape deck, and at least you can order the very old, but venerable 4.0 V6 option.

but, for this extra 70k, you have to give up the Euro NCAP rating, the electric seats, the leather, the Nav system, the bin liner and so on. Plus you get that overbite.... ugh...

or for similar money to the Toyota , you could get the Ranger, with similar lack of equipment but a very nice motor and drive train, and a 5 star Euro NCAP rating.

for some more money you could get the VW , at least it has the leather, but you do have to live with the styling, the dashboard and the motor. at least you'll have space for your Euro Pallet though.

As to resale... well. Unless you drive a Defender or Wrangler, which have superb resale values world wide, you are pretty much stuck with what you get. who knows. Toyotas aren't doing quite as well as the legend suggests, unless we are talking about Cruisers.

I do agree that if you were about to buy a new bakkie and were in the market you should test drive the Foton to see how bad it can be. the Tata too. and the Fiat. The outgoing Triton with the same motor and less equipment for R485k ? that's 17k MORE than a Fullback....but yeah, give it a drive.... Then the Hiliux , Ranger and VW too for 70k plus the additional to bring the equipment level up.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the Fullback's value for money and build quality. If the new Triton comes with the new motor and is 70k more - I think that, if I were in the market, I could very easily live with the old motor for that 70k. If I was looking at 100k more for a similarly specced Hilux/Ranger/VW, again, I think I could live with the older motor too... the performance is there. the parts are available throughout Africa. it's reliable. Its no more 'rough' than any of the other 4 pots Diesels.

It's got a lot going for it.

but time will tell...
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/07/09 at 03:39 PM.

Apoc, I haven't read the entire Thread, so I have spared myself the Forum truths.
    I know these guys can get consumption figures not supported by science, build a house for less than the cost of materials & do speeds that the vehicle cannot reach, so I ignored them.

But, before you buy a Fullback, ask yourself if a R70k saving over the Ranger/KB/Hilux/Amarok is worth:

* The Fiat badge
    * 1 less cog (remember this was a MAJOR issue when Toyota had 1 less cog)
    * Only 35 dealerships (& they are Fiat)
    * The Fiat badge
    * A smaller bakkie (Smaller than the Legend45 Hilux)

If it was Ar30k - R50k cheaper than it is.... maybe...

Apoc, I haven't read the entire Thread, so I have spared myself the Forum truths.
    I know these guys can get consumption figures not supported by science, build a house for less than the cost of materials & do speeds that the vehicle cannot reach, so I ignored them.

But, before you buy a Fullback, ask yourself if a R70k saving over the Ranger/KB/Hilux/Amarok is worth:

* The Fiat badge
    * 1 less cog (remember this was a MAJOR issue when Toyota had 1 less cog)
    * Only 35 dealerships (& they are Fiat)
    * The Fiat badge
    * A smaller bakkie (Smaller than the Legend45 Hilux)

If it was Ar30k - R50k cheaper than it is.... maybe...

you really should drive one.

It is a latest generation bakkie, fully specced with everything you'd expect in a latest generation bakkie . It's certainly equivalent to the VW, Ranger or new Hilux in terms of equipment, quality and so on - indeed, as I say, for the money you get an AWFUL lot of equipment. the additionals on the big 3 to bring them up to the same equipment level are as the Fullback would be at least another 30k.

and, as I say, lets bear in mind it's 20k LESS than a new old shape triton - which also doesn't have the leather, nav, extra airbags etc etc but has the same motor and box!

the downside is the old motor and box. but it's not a dog of a motor - it's powerful, reliable, common rail etc.

If you just looked at it and said, they should take all Mitsubishi Triton sales, because you'd REALLY have to be stupid to buy a Triton instead of a fullback. they'd be doing okay for a new to the market 1 tonner supplier.

I must say that I am a little surprised that Fiat didn't shove in an Iveco motor and box - they are superb. but again , it does make a lot of sense for them to bring out a known, available motor. Lots of people like that 2.5 Mitsu motor. Iveco is a bit unknown here... but has a good reputation.

for Fiat, to test the waters - it's a sensible option. I think VW got caned a bit with the Amarok...

like I say. for 100k less than the competition - if you'd test driven them all and were looking at the numbers a Fullback can easily make a lot of sense.

Not to debunk any 'Forum Truisms' but the GD Hilux got a 5 star ANCAP rating & was the first to score full for pedestrian safety.

Not that I'm trying to spoil a Thread with fact based arguments...

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    you really should drive one...
    My dear friend Troy (Quake on the Forum) drove one.
    He has a Triton 3.2 which he drives daily.

He was not impressed.

Not to debunk any 'Forum Truisms' but the GD Hilux got a 5 star ANCAP rating & was the first to score full for pedestrian safety.

Not that I'm trying to spoil a Thread with fact based arguments...

ANCAP and Euro NCAP are very different scoring systems.

the Hilux has not been tested by Euro NCAP

the new Triton / Fullback also scored 5 stars on ANCAP http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratin.../triton/1ffb55
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/07/09 at 04:49 PM.

My dear friend Troy (Quake on the Forum) drove one.
    He has a Triton 3.2 which he drives daily.

He was not impressed.

was he impressed by the new Hilux?

quite frankly, and with all due respect to Quake, you have to be joking.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/07/09 at 04:53 PM.

All this made me think of this .....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartho For This Useful Post:

Bartho, I know its Saturday. But they are discussing a Fiat,not a Renault!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    All this made me think of this .....
    hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Bartho, I know its Saturday. But they are discussing a Fiat,not a Renault!
    Ja, FIAT (Fullback Is Awful Truck). Ek wil hom gaan toets, miskien is hy op die lang termyn Amazing Truck...

Not to debunk any 'Forum Truths' but where did you guys hear the Fullback scored 5 stars on NCAP.
    I cannot find this anywhere?

Also, and again - I'm not trying to disprove Forum truths, but ANCAP adopted Euro NCAP test protocols a few years back.
    They are not exactly the same, but they are close...

Not to debunk any 'Forum Truths' but where did you guys hear the Fullback scored 5 stars on NCAP.
    I cannot find this anywhere?

Also, and again - I'm not trying to disprove Forum truths, but ANCAP adopted Euro NCAP test protocols a few years back.
    They are not exactly the same, but they are close...

I posted the links

NCAP - 4 stars for the Fullback/Triton / L200
    ANCAP 5 stars for the Fullback/Triton / L200

both NCAP and ANCAP - Ranger - 5 stars

ANCAP - Hilux, 5 stars. not tested by NCAP.

they are not the same tests. the Euro NCAP gets more finicky over Pedestrians....
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/07/09 at 05:36 PM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast