Weird Problem with Parjero Need torque settings

Default Weird Problem with Parjero Need torque settings

Morning all, had a weird experience with my Pajero. Something got stuck in one of the valves and the engine started missing and didn't idle etc. I took the top off and saw the rocker was lying loose underneath the cam and that is when i knew something was stuck in the valve. I pressed down the valve and let it back up slowly and it came back up all the way. Great news right?... not so much, when i turned the engine by hand it got stuck when the piston came up, so i had to take off the head - what a mission I eventually got the head off and when i look down the cylinder what do i see? a small cap screw with a washer

I started investigating where this little cap screw could have come from, and yep eventually found where it came from... its a butterfly screw from the inlet manifold

Is there anyone else that has ever encountered this problem?

Now i need torque settings for the head, is there anyone that can help me with the torque settings on a 1996 Pajero 3.5 DOHC 24 valve i recon it is the 6G74 engine.

Thanks
    WicBo
    '96 Pajero 3.5 v6

Hope this helps (zoom in)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2015/11/12 at 09:40 AM.

Talking

Thank you very much Marius
    WicBo
    '96 Pajero 3.5 v6

Aw man sorry to hear. I had my butterfly's taken out, heard stories of blown engines because of this.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Aw man sorry to hear. I had my butterfly's taken out, heard stories of blown engines because of this.
    Taken out? are they for the choke or something, if they can be taken out i will do the same
    WicBo
    '96 Pajero 3.5 v6

there are intake runner butterflies (taking them out will cost you torque and power and economy) and then you have the throttle body butterfly which can NOT be taken out.

WicBo, there is a lot of info on the site regarding this if you do a search. With respect to Marius who knows these vehicles inside out, there is a choice to be made. The butterfly's assist with a few functions, cold start, idling and boost in the higher rev range.

My vehicle is now on 273 000 and is a slow overlander rarely seeing over 120 kmh. Benefit versus risk, I took mine out.
    Marius probably can explain the pros and cons better than me.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

The pajero is my daily driver, and i use it to tow the caravan when going camping.... i won't really want to loose torque, i have 380,000km on the clock now and this is the first time that car ever let me down.

So the butterflies will have to stay in, i think i will get some small spring washers and put them under each cap screw and a drop of lock tight might help too? i wouldn't like to do this exercise again, not for the next 380,000km at least
    WicBo
    '96 Pajero 3.5 v6

can you take the screw right through with a nut at the other end and then mangle the threads that stick out?

Marius ek dink amper ek sal kan.... ek sal vanaand gou mooi gaan kyk. Ek dink nie dit kan n probleem wees nie. die assie is maar nie vreeslik dik nie, maar as ek dieselfe dikte cap screw kan kry wat net bietjie langer is sal dit dalk werk....ek dink amper die capscrew can dalk net net deur die assie skroef op die oomblik.
    WicBo
    '96 Pajero 3.5 v6

Kry 'n langer cap skroef. Sodat jy nut aan die anderkant kan sit met loctite en dan vermorsel jy die threads wat uitsteek sodat die nut nooit weer sal afkom nie.

Lightbulb Dual Geometry Intake Manifold

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Kry 'n langer cap skroef. Sodat jy nut aan die anderkant kan sit met loctite en dan vermorsel jy die threads wat uitsteek sodat die nut nooit weer sal afkom nie.
    Came off on mine
    Happened with previous owner so no idea what happened but saw the little score mark on piston top.

The butterflies are a part of what is called a dual geometry intake manifold. It works with flow characteristics of air. When the butterflies are closed the air is sucked into the motor through a longer set of runners. Longer runners promote air velocity and torque for low RPM operation. When the engine reaches higher RPMs the butterflies open and let the engine breath through short fat runners that can supply larger amounts of air as the engine sweeps out a larger volume. This promotes power.
    The truth is variable geometry manifolds are a thing of the 90's, they aren't really used anymore. The reason is because they're quite ineffective in most applications as you've found out by the lack of performance change. On this particular platform the VGT manifolds are mostly used in gutted form (butterflies removed) because it promotes more power and since we have big V6's we don't need the extra low end grunt (if there were any to be had).
    The ineffectiveness of the manifold is why your Montero runs fine now. It is not a "high performance" engine per se and so the characteristics the changing manifold provide are not extrapolated enough to make a noticeable difference particularly not when numbed down by engine wear. So long as you have no vacuum leaks out of the manifold itself there shouldn't be any issues in the end.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/new-memb...ompletely.html

I would take it out and seal up the shaft hole
    Much better would be to fit some other UPPER inlet manifold
    Far as I can work out parts from the different models are often interchangeable.

Thanks BlackMamba,

got the enginge back together again this weekend, but it sounds like an old Isuzu KB280... there is a hell of a "klinking" noise on the cylinder head. Timing is perfect and the motor ran free when i turned it by hand. Seeing that i will have to take the top part of the intake manifold off again i will remove the butterflies and seal up the hole... the shaft has play on it anyway.... wish i could get a charger for it

But that is something to play with another day, for now i need to get the car running, seeing that its my only mode of transport and its been standing for 2 weeks. You guys can imagine how popular i am with swambo by now.... unfortunately i have to work for a living and only have weekends to spend time on the car especially this time of year

have a great week everyone
    WicBo
    '96 Pajero 3.5 v6

Arrow Klinking

Quote Originally Posted by WicBo View Post
    got the enginge back together again this weekend, but it sounds like an old Isuzu KB280... there is a hell of a "klinking" noise on the cylinder head. unfortunately i have to work for a living and only have weekends to spend time on the car especially this time of year
    have a great week everyone
    Yup don't we all ( have to work for a living )

Klinking noise ?
    Worn / dirty valve lash adjusters are an identified culprit known to make a racket.
    There are of course all sorts of other things that can make "klinking" noises
    ( Champagne glasses )