North Namibia Tour 31 days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default North Namibia Tour 31 days

Hi All,

Due to cost and time constraints I have decided to rather do a month in Namibia this Dec instead of a month in Botswana. I believe Nam would be quieter over this period - easier to get bookings - and also with lots of wild/cheap camping in Kaokoland I am sure it will be cheaper too. I will do Bots again when I can plan ahead a year or so for bookings.

I have not yet obtained the T4A maps (for gps and a hard copy) but will do so within the week so my planning especially around the more remote areas requires some more work and advice from you please.

Proposed trip:

Day 01 Port Elizabeth to Augrabies
    Day 02 Augrabies to "any camp halfway to Windhoek"
    Day 03 "any camp halfway to Windhoek" to Windhoek
    Day 04 Windhoek to "any camp just outside Etosha"
    Day 05 till Day 12 a week in Etosha
    Day 13 Etosha to "any camp close to Ruacana"
    Day 14 Ruacana up with D3700 next to Kunene wild camp
    Day 15 Wild camp on D3700 to Epupa
    Day 16 Epupa
    Day 17 Epupa to Van Zyls Pas Community Camp
    Day 18 Van Zyls Pas Community Camp to ??

Day 18 till 27 we want to explore Koakoland at a leisurely pace and wild camp or community camp as we go.

Places I have heard of and would like to experience are:

Hoanib river
    Hoarusib river
    Marble mine
    All the colored drums
    Marienfluss community camp
    Hartman mountains
    Purros Canyon
    Kamanjab
    Khowarib camp
    Brandberg
    Kanamub Camp

Please add if there are any places worth visiting that I didn't add.

Then day 28 and 29 Spitzkoppe
    Day 30 "any camp close to SA border"
    Day 31 Port Elizabeth

We are going to be 2 in an Autorok with 2 spares, pumps, tyre repair kit, plenty water, food, fuel, 1st aid kit, tool kit, normal and air jack and satellite phone as last resort.

Thank you for reading my post and please feel free to comment in any language!
    Last edited by JurgenSteyn; 2015/11/11 at 09:18 AM.

Jy sal net toyota parte da bo kry!. Sorry.

Verbrande berg, versteende woud , messum crater, kaap kruis is dalk ook opsies, as jy Brandberg toe kom.
    Johan Kriel

Hi Jurgen

Kaokoland is an extraordinary area . If we were doing that trip we would take less time to get to etosha, giving more further north and west
    The D3700 has been graded, make of that what you will, your journey time along there will not be what you expect.
    If you carry +200 litres of fuel you should be able to explore both the Marienfluss and Hartmanns at leisure.
    If you have time take a day or 2 in the Palmwag concession as you come south
    We would recommend a copy of Garth Owen Smith's book , An Arid Eden, for a deeper understanding of the whole area.
    You'll have a fantastic time

Thanks for all the replies thus far!

I got the T4A map as well as the memory card for the GPS so all sorted there.

Plan is to drive river beds as much as possible even if its a detour in getting from one point to another.

Points taken will try reach windhoek straight from augrabies and will do the rucana to epupa in 1 day and spend only 1 night at epupa this will give me 3 more days in kaokoland.

Doen jouself n guns & koop Johan se boek oor Kaokaland.... Hy is hier op forum.
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenSteyn View Post
    Thanks for all the replies thus far!

I got the T4A map as well as the memory card for the GPS so all sorted there.

Plan is to drive river beds as much as possible even if its a detour in getting from one point to another.

Points taken will try reach windhoek straight from augrabies and will do the rucana to epupa in 1 day and spend only 1 night at epupa this will give me 3 more days in kaokoland.

Abelbusch Resort in Windhoek has chalets and caravan sites.It's on your left as you round the bend before you enter the city.Epupa Falls Resort on the banks of the Kunene river is owned by an expat.It has awesome chalets on stilts and ungrassed caravan/camping sites.No electricity,fuel or provisions of sorts available.Fuel can be ordered on the blackmarket on a days notice.The falls is right in front of you.It's a couple hours drive from Ruacana.If you break the journey between Windhoek and Ruacana the Boabab Tree is a reeded campsite.At Tsumeb the Aquel Kupfer Resort has grassed camp sites in addition to the hotel accommodation.

Jurgen

The Ruacana Epupa route along the Kunene will take at least 6 hours. In June they were busy upgrading the route from the Epupa side, ie the west and have bulldozed a wide road for about 40 km from Epupa to the east along the river. The "new" road was still very rough and you had to pick a route between the exposed rocks and big stones.

The rest of the track has some very rocky inclines and downhills with a bit of twee spoor. It is slow going but a must do. The alternative route is south and then north via Opuwo.

Thank you I will definitely spend a night or two at Epupa Falls lodge! I am busy booking Etosha but I don't believe its needed to book the rest of the trip as it shouldn't be too busy in December? Your opinions?

In late May it was 35 C at Epupa, I would love to know what the Dec temps will be.

Thank you I will definitely spend a night or two at Epupa Falls lodge! I am busy booking Etosha but I don't believe its needed to book the rest of the trip as it shouldn't be too busy in December? Your opinions?
    Correct.When I got to Etosha 2 December's ago I had no booking but there was plenty of campsites.But the again I'm a solo camper. You go ahead and book.

Another thing... no red meat over border into Namibia... where is the best place to buy meat in windhoek or between keetmans and etosha?

Another thing... no red meat over border into Namibia... where is the best place to buy meat in windhoek or between keetmans and etosha?

You can take red meat into Namibia,not into Etosha.Buy at any of the towns.The town of Tsumeb (short drive to Etosha)has Shoprite, Wimpy etc.You can take chicken in.Meat is available in Etosha.Check the forum for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by roynaidoo View Post
    You can take red meat into Namibia,not into Etosha.Buy at any of the towns.The town of Tsumeb (short drive to Etosha)has Shoprite, Wimpy etc.You can take chicken in.Meat is available in Etosha.Check the forum for this thread.
    Just came from there, you can but cant bring it out. Etosha is incrediably hot and very very dry. A week? Hmm think that might be too long in that heat.

'98 Patrol GL 4500 fully kitted SWB 3.8 V6 Mitsu & Toyota Prado 120 VX with a couple of mods.
    Platcar BMW Z3 2.8i / '81 Motor Guzzi LeMans Mk 3
    Swambo: '11 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI
    Eurard on FAC : Beach driving is NOT driving dunes like those mad hatters of the southern tip side. They take a dune pick it up and put it down in another place.

Can you take meat out the northen gate? Thus not crossing the vet line? From Etosha we are going to Ruacana...

Hi. I want to go next February with a 4x4 caravan.
    Is this possible?
    If you haven't grown up by the age of 50, you don't have to!

Default North Nam tour

Jurgens you cant take any meat out of Etosha any gate unless its cooked.

Ok so my plan is then to buy meat in windhoek for the week we are in Etosha and the exit Etosha with no meat left and buy at Tsumeb for Kaokoland. Is there a nice place to buy meat in Tsumeb or en route to Ruacana? Is my thinking OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
    Hi. I want to go next February with a 4x4 caravan.
    Is this possible?
    what are your destinations?

Ok so my plan is then to buy meat in windhoek for the week we are in Etosha and the exit Etosha with no meat left and buy at Tsumeb for Kaokoland. Is there a nice place to buy meat in Tsumeb or en route to Ruacana? Is my thinking OK?
    At Tsumeb there is a Shoprite (can't recall if it's a Spar or Shoprite).Otjiwarongo has a fairly new shopping complex on the main road with a big supermarket(can't re-call the name).Oshakati is big and has supermarkets, but I did not use them, bec I bought in Tsumeb.Remember no fuel is available at Epupa Falls.The blackmarket price is twice the bowzer price and available at a days notice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast